Maximum speed in tram network Hageningen

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

koeleboe

Maximum speed in tram network Hageningen

Post by koeleboe »

Hey all!

Small question from my side. As already stated on the wiki, you drive "on sight". However, it is sometimes difficult to know how fast you can go at different sections in the network. Is there a map/plan with the maximum allowed speed at certain sections?
perfecttrains1000

Re: Maximum speed in tram network Hageningen

Post by perfecttrains1000 »

https://sim.bemined.nl/wiki/Hageningen_Trams_Tutorial The tutorial says there is no official speed limit but there needs to be one for the AI to work so from what I've seen, some of the segregated sections of the Tram on the Grass areas are like 50 - 60 while the road sections are primarily 30. I saw that curves are between 15 - 20 as suggested by the tutorial
- Likes London Underground
- Somehow relates anything to trains
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Pedestrian areas are also 15
koeleboe

Post by koeleboe »

perfecttrains1000 wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 17:31 https://sim.bemined.nl/wiki/Hageningen_Trams_Tutorial The tutorial says there is no official speed limit but there needs to be one for the AI to work so from what I've seen, some of the segregated sections of the Tram on the Grass areas are like 50 - 60 while the road sections are primarily 30. I saw that curves are between 15 - 20 as suggested by the tutorial
Yes indeed, it's the one for the AI that I'm looking for :D
brozma

Post by brozma »

Well, in tight curves you should never go faster than 20 km/h (15 km/h in very tight curves). In medium curves, you can go a bit faster, but absolute maximum I never exceed is 35 km/h. In small curves, you usualy don't have to change the speed, but in some cases, it's better not to exceed 50 km/h.

In straight sections, it depends where is it placed and what kind of overhead wiring is above it. If the straight section is placed on the road, it's better to go around 40-50 km/h. The only exception are tight boulevards, where road is separated by water canal and next to the track on the right are parking spots and roads near Hagenigen depot. Never exceed 35 km/h here! If the straight section is separated from road and goes on grass or another separated surface, you can go fast. There's a smart trick, I use, to determine, how fast should I go. Just look, what kind of overhead wiring the section has.

If the overhead wire is the wiring with triangle like suspension (the kind most used on nearly every IRL tram networks) Then don't go faster than 50 km/h, because if you go faster, you can get a nasty surprise, starting with junction, where you have to turn left or right, continuing with sudden medium, tight or very tight curve, where you have to slow down and ending with level crossing, which isn't fully closed yet.
If the overhead wire is catenary wiring (the kind used on railways and Simvliet light rail), you can go faster than 50 km/h, but don't get jumpy and don't put pedal in the metal unthinkingly! If you are on duty, you need to stop on stations, and going too fast can cause station overrun. Also (although this doesn't matter in metrosim, but IRL it does) if you are reckless, and brake or accelerate sharply, you can cause passenger discomfort, or in worst cases injure them. Trust me, there were cases in Prague, when tram driver hit EB to avoid crash (he/she had no choice) and passengers staying in tram fell on the floor due to inertia, and in some cases, they were injured. Those injuries were usualy minor injuries like bruises and head bumps, but there were cases of some people who got broken arm/leg, got a whiplash or got their joint sprained, but these injuries doesn't occur that often.

So if you want to be realistic, watch your speed and don't brake, nor accelerate sharply, or next day after you come to another shift, you'll be welcomed with complaint or lawsuit from injured passenger, who got his/her arm broken and/or got a medium whiplash from your reckless driving.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

In the Netherlands there is no overall speed limit for trams, it's up to the driver to known what is a safe maximum speed based on the conditions. There are however some local restrictions. They differ per city, in Rotterdam the rule is 15km/h over points in turnout position and 30km/h when going straight. Also at rail crossings the speed limit is 30km/u even if the crossing is straight. At depots, the speed limit is 15km/h. In addition, there may be some sections that have a specific speed limit, for example at pedestrian areas or for noise reduction.