Screenshots & Videos

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

RotterdamMetroLover

Re: Screenshots & Videos

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

Last night there was a train crash with a crane near Voorschoten station. around 50 people on board, 19 people were taken to the hospital, 1 is dead (crane driver). It happend around 3:30 AM CET on 4th of April 2023. The crane was first hit by a freight train from DB Cargo (br 189 train 189 054). All bits fell to the track and at that moment a night Intercity service came thru and derailed cause of it. Train is pretty badly damaged (VIRM train 9405). Links are down below:

Dutch: https://nos.nl/collectie/13925/artikel/ ... -nederland

English: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65170980
Leipzig_LP

Post by Leipzig_LP »

I have see the pictures on Instagram and I'm shocked 😳
Metro Sim Beta is a really great game.
brozma

Post by brozma »

Yeah I heard about that train crash in the news. Very horrible. According to Czech TV newsroom, the passenger train nor freight train weren't supposed to be on that track, the said track was out of order due routine track works and maintenance. I guess this is either a signaler error (he/she sent a train on a track, which was out of order) or driver error (he/she SPADed through a signal and entered a track, which was out of order).
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

brozma wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 20:34 I guess this is either a signaler error (he/she sent a train on a track, which was out of order) or driver error (he/she SPADed through a signal and entered a track, which was out of order).
According to RTL News (https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/artikel ... il-denhaag), 2 of the 4 tracks where closed for maintenance, and the remaining two tracks where open to train traffic. On one of the in-service tracks a freight train passed this point, on the other the passenger train.
There was a construction crane.
Both trains hit the construction crane; the freighttrain first (RTL News stated thatb in this article: https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/nederla ... k-spoor-ns), and the passenger train later (possibly hit the remains of the construction crane after the freight train collided with in on the next track).

Based on this, I see a few options here:
  • The construction crane was rotated in a way that caused it to overlap with the in-service track for the freight train. The freight train hit the construction crane, which derailed and parts of it landed on the other in-service track, where the passenger train then collided with it.
  • The construction crane operator might have been mis-informed about which track he was supposed to be on, and was actually on the in-service track, where it was hit by the freight train (the crane was on train-wheels, but might have been too light to have been detected by the train-detection-system (which operate by trainwheels short-cirquit a small current in the two rails), which would have automatically set the light signals to red. No detection of occupied track; green signals for the freight train). The freight train derailed, and parts of it landed on the other in-service track, where the passenger train then collided with it.
Either way, the cause was a tragic accident, especially as the crane operator didn't survive.

The freight train was probably traveling at 80 km/h (a normal speed for this type of train). This would explain why the freight train didn't derail but had some significant damage to the locomotive. The driver of this train was fine.
The passenger train was probably running at maximum speed (140 km/h) and of lighter construction compared to the freight train. That explains why it derailed, with the front carriage leaving the track entirely and ending up on the field next to the railway. The traindriver had broken bones, 29 others where also injured, including 3 who were taken to the intensive care at the hospital.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

The crash was at an access point for road/rail vehicles, so option 3 is that the crane was finished with the maintenance and due to some mistake crossed the tracks to reach the access road before traffic was stopped here.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Michiel wrote: 06 Apr 2023, 05:34 The crash was at an access point for road/rail vehicles, so option 3 is that the crane was finished with the maintenance and due to some mistake crossed the tracks to reach the access road before traffic was stopped here.
Yes, after looking at an aireal view of the crash site (https://images0.persgroep.net/rcs/xFdb_ ... uality=0.9), that seems to be a very good option.

1: The crane was done with it's task on the 3rd or 4th track from the left on the photo above, changed from rail to road mode, and used the service crossing to get to the acces road.

2: The freight train, traveling northbound on the second track from the left, hit the crane which was crossing the tracks.

3: Remains on the crane landed on the first track from the left.

4: The passenger train, traveling southbound, hit those remains.

5: The front carriage was pushed out of the track to its right (left on the photo's view), and due to its speed (and possibly the motors in the last carriage still pushing from behind, and/or the momentum of the 3 carriages behind the first one also still traveling at speed) it crossed the acces road and the water and ended up in the field at a 90-degree angle.

6: The 2nd carriage was pulled out of the track by the first with its front bogie. The violent movements of the front carriage caused the coupler to break, seperating the two carriages. The rear bogie tries to stay on the track.

7: The front of the 3rd carriage, still connected to the 2nd one, is now pushed out of it's track by the rotation (relative to the track) of the 2nd carriage.

8: The last carriage stays on the track. As the 3rd carriage (carrying the pantograph; the one at the front of the 3rd carriage was used, as can be seen on other pictures) derailed and the overhead wires have been destroyed due to the derailing train hitting the gantry's, the last carriage's motors are not providing traction anymore. And the derailing also probably broke the pneumatic connections between carriages, causing a loss of pneumatic pressure, which caused the brakes on all axles to apply fully. That is to say; if the driver didn't already give an emergency brake command as soon as he noticed something on the tracks as he was approaching at speed moments before...
loris

Post by loris »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZOfgoova4Q

New video made on Glasgow, 9 train in 17 minute at the station Kinning Park :mrgreen:
I don't understand i don't speak French :lol:

Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC406ek ... ivT7yqE4KQ
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Not directly Metrosim related (sorry for that); I just uploaded two short video's of the surface sections of Lille metroline 2 (the Lille metro works on the VAL rubber tire system, on full computer control (no drivers)). I visited the city the past few days:

https://youtu.be/Y86BEWQs88c -> Lille (France) metro - front view video "Pte des Postes" to "CHU Eurasanté"

https://youtu.be/j7XlpO7xHHQ -> Lille (France) metro - front view video "Villeneuve d'Asq Hotel de Ville" to "4 Cantons"

I did not get the same opportunity on line 1; it was so crowded when I got on that line, I could not even find a seat at the front for the surface sections (I was standing in a dense crowd of people near the doors at the time).
Leipzig_LP

Post by Leipzig_LP »

Sjoerd wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 21:19 Not directly Metrosim related (sorry for that)
oh it's ok

had forgotten that the channel is not explicitly designed only for MSB.
Metro Sim Beta is a really great game.
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

Metrocoaster 3.0 (very early development, won't be out anytime soon).
Attachments
Metrocoaster3.jpg
Metrocoaster3.jpg (181.16 KiB) Viewed 972 times