Lausanne Metro M2

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Lausanne Metro M2

Post by Sjoerd »

As you have seen in the screenshots topic, I have started on a new non-fictional map; Lausanne (Switzerland) metroline M2.
We already have the train (the Alstom "Be 8/8 TL"), and now that platform edge doors are becomming a reality in the simulator, I have decided to use the opportunity to make a real route using this new technology :D .

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_van ... _Trace.svg

CVL screen:
https://i.postimg.cc/9fvv5ygN/Lausanne-CVL.png

Yes, the trains on this line are automatic, but ofcourse you can also just open the controls and drive them manually :D
Last edited by Sjoerd on 18 Oct 2022, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
tunneltrain96

Re: Lausanne Metro M2

Post by tunneltrain96 »

Can't wait!! It's awesome to see a new map, but even better when it introduces a new feature!
Finally updated my avatar photo :)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Looking forward to this. I especially would like to see the few areas above ground.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

The above ground sections (scenery) will probably be later in the proces, as those take the most amound of time.

Station "Vennes" under construction;

For the manual drivers who also like some diversity... I'll add a (fictional) 2-car version of the Paris MP89CC (and perhaps also a 2-car version of the MP89CA?):
brozma

Post by brozma »

Oh. A map of Swiss metro line. Well, you chose a good line, because as I found out, it runs mostly underground and it's the only line with rubber tires. The reason why is that is because how steep some sections are. The regular steel track train would struggle a lot to climbing up the slope or would have a trouble slowing down when going down from the slope.

Also do you know, that line M2 in Lausanne was formely a funicular and then a racked railway? The line M2 was built as a funicular in 1877 and it used a principle of water weights (the cars had water tank in them. The car at the top station had it's water tank filled, thus it becomes heavier and goes down, the lighter car was pulled up using the cable between the cars. When the car with full water tank arrives at the bottom station, it's water tank was drained and the same procedure was repeated for the 2nd car). In 1959, the M2 line was rebuilt from funicular to a racked railway track and stood like this until 2006. In 2006, the line M2 was closed and rebuilding works has begun. Finally, in 2008, The line M2 was rebuilt into it's rubber tired form, and it's like that until nowadays.

Facts about Lausanne
1st: Do you know, Lausanne has no tram tracks? That's because of the terrain. The hills around Lausanne are so steep, that trams would have trouble to overcome them. Most of the Lausanne public transport is provided by buses and trolleybuses. Although there's a plan to to build a Lausanne metro line M3, which would look like a tram line, but that line is planned as a hybrid between tram and metro (like Sneltram in Rotterdam).

2nd: Do you know, The Lausanne metro line M2 is the steepest metro line in Europe? It's maximum steepness is around 12%. For comparison, in Czechia the steepest section in Prague metro is between stations Náměstí Míru and Muzeum on A line, which has 40‰ (around 4%) of steepness. But remember, that steel track trains have a very limited ability to overcome a very steep slope.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

brozma wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 22:15 1st: Do you know, Lausanne has no tram tracks? That's because of the terrain. The hills around Lausanne are so steep, that trams would have trouble to overcome them. Most of the Lausanne public transport is provided by buses and trolleybuses.
Lausanne is planning a new tramline. It is due to open in 2025: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramway_de_Lausanne
This trackmap shows the new line already, designated line "T1": https://cartometro.com/documents/CartoM ... e.v1.4.png
brozma wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 22:15Although there's a plan to to build a Lausanne metro line M3, which would look like a tram line, but that line is planned as a hybrid between tram and metro (like Sneltram in Rotterdam).
I would say line M1 is already in this style; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lausanne_ ... ro_Line_M1

Line M3 will be another rubber tired line, using the same technology (and possibly the same type of vehicles, as an order of identical vehicles to extend the fleet) as line M2. At Lausanne Gare, line M2 wil be diverted in a new tunnel, and line M3 will use the current M2 tracks. The trackmap linked above also already shows this, although the exact track layout of line M3 isn't known yet.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Nicolas wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 02:34 Looking forward to this. I especially would like to see the few areas above ground.
I was in the mood for some surface scenery building... Here it is, near station Sallaz:
perfecttrains1000

Post by perfecttrains1000 »

Looks great
- Likes London Underground
- Somehow relates anything to trains
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Croisettes: