Lausanne Metro M2

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

brozma

Re: Lausanne Metro M2

Post by brozma »

Sjoerd wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:18 An alternative way of doing it might be to have a long extension cord which you couple to the train in the workshop, long enough to supply power for the train to drive out, and then uncouple it again once the train comes in contact with the powerrails outside. But I could not find any information relating to this, so I guess the Unimog is the simpeler solution.
This is exactly how the trains in Prague metro are taken out from the depot. The extension cord is connected to the end car closer to the shed's/workshop's door and the train is shunted to the front of the shed/workshop. When the front bogie of the end car touches the 3rd rail, the extension cord is disconnected and the train rolls out by it's own. The remaining cars get powered, as the train moves out of the shed/workshop and their bogies touch the 3rd rail. When the train is returning to depot and it's entering the shed/workshop. The extension cord is connected to the end car closer to the shed's/workshop's door and the train shunts inside the shed/workshop. After the train shunts in, the extension cord is then either disconnected entirely or reconnected to the end car closer to shed's/workshop's door.
Yeah, the train can also shunt inside into shed/workshop without getting connected to the extension cord, but with extension cord connected, the driver can move the train slightly, if he/she stops incorrectly inside the shed/workshop and has to move a bit to correct it.

The way, how the train was connected to an extension cord varied over time. The early version of the extension cord had a small insulated contact, which was connected to the bogie next to the 3rd rail shoe. This was meant to be compatible with trains from Russia (Ezh3, 81-717), which were used that time. Although this design was simple and easy to use. It was slightly dangerous. If the depot worker connected the extension cord, turned it on and then touched the 3rd rail shoe. He/She will get a very painful 750 V DC zappie.
As the time progressed the extension cord was redesigned and now it has a plug, which looks similar to European 3 phase plug. Also the extension cord isn't connected directly to bogie anymore. The trains, used nowadays in Prague (81-717M, Siemens M1) have a socket hidden below the masks on the end cars, where the plug is connected.
Also the extension cord isn't just laying on the ground. It's hanging from the ceiling connected to a small contact trolley. This allows train to move inside the shed/workshop without worrying about the extension cord getting caught, tangled or twisted somewhere.
Also, for safety reasons, the extension cord has a switch placed somewhere nearby. This allows the depot workers to switch off the extension cord, when it's not used, to avoid unwanted and painful zappies from it. Just imagine, you forget to switch the extension cord off and you touch the contacts with 750 V DC in it. Ouchie! :cry: If you can't imagine, how it's painful to get zapped, go watch Mehdi Sadaghdar alias "Electroboom" on Youtube. He sometimes zaps himself during his tests and his reaction says it all about the pain from getting zapped.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
brozma

Post by brozma »

Nicolas wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 22:22 Maybe it's time to open a page for this game on the IGCD website :lol: :twisted:
What does acronym IGCD stands for?
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

In Rotterdam they use a power cord for trains to leave the depot, there is a picture of it on the RET website (under "Metro's binnen halen", although I would say it mainly applies to leaving the depot, entering you could probably do with coasting):
https://www.ret.nl/home/sociale-media/b ... haven.html

The power cord is attached to the ceiling and can slide along there.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Sjoerd wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 15:22 Image
:o Hi-Railer!!!
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Michiel wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 16:16 In Rotterdam they use a power cord for trains to leave the depot, there is a picture of it on the RET website (under "Metro's binnen halen", although I would say it mainly applies to leaving the depot, entering you could probably do with coasting):
https://www.ret.nl/home/sociale-media/b ... haven.html

The power cord is attached to the ceiling and can slide along there.
Okay, let's leave it up to all of you :D : I give you two options for the simulator, which one would you like I put in:

1. Leave the workshop tracks powerless (inside the building). You can coast in, but you need the Unimog (normally parked right next to the building) to tow trains back out until they connect with the powerrails.
2. Give the workshop tracks dummy powerrails (not visible, but functional), so you can drive a train out without help (yes, the Unimog will still be available; it will come with the map). So this will be more like "depot staff just connected a temporary extension cord so you can drive out".
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
AlistairCowell

Post by AlistairCowell »

I'd say leaving the track powerless and use the Unimog (1).
However, I think the RET depots already in Rijndam and Simvilet could be retrofitted with option 2.
perfecttrains1000

Post by perfecttrains1000 »

My only curiosity to option 1 is how would activities work with trains exiting the workshop
- Likes London Underground
- Somehow relates anything to trains
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

perfecttrains1000 wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 13:08 My only curiosity to option 1 is how would activities work with trains exiting the workshop
You could start such an activity with a train already outside, like the one on the screenshot above.

And I do have one activity that starts with the train departing from the depot tracks, and ending later (after a short trip Croisettes-Sallaz v.v.) with the train driving into the workshop.
perfecttrains1000

Post by perfecttrains1000 »

Nice
- Likes London Underground
- Somehow relates anything to trains
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

I see I haven't posted in a week on the project, so here's a status update: The route has been build, and a number of activities have been made (including activities using the manually operated Paris MP89CC train, in a fictional 2-car configuration).
Current steps are adding some details, and preparing to build an export (to a later downloadable "Lausanne.000" database) for testing.