Cable car

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Re: Cable car

Post by Sjoerd »

SFMUNI wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 19:44 crossovers don't have cables on the actual crossover track, the cable car just coasts through or rolls back with gravity through the crossover.
The information I have read online on several different sites states that on crossovers the line that was build first has the cable 'on top'. Car on that line can hold on to the cable while passing the crossover. Cars on the other (newer) line need to release the cable before passing the crossover, as the cable goes under the cable of the other line.
SFMUNI wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 19:44in the yard, none of the tracks are powered, crews push the cable car around or the car is pushed/towed by a truck. most mainline switches are on downhill slopes, so its not necessary to have a switch with a cable in it to provide forward motion for the cable car.
In the simulator, I tried building the depot tracks on a slight slope, so you can enter and exit on gravity alone. However, the AI can't deal with it; it won't release the brakes to leave the depot if the vehicle is starting on a non-powered track (and it has no diesel engine to start). So on the stabling tracks, there is power, and then you simply coast through the switches to go onto the main line. But you can also just release the brakes and slowly drive out on gravity.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

For those who wonder what the helper looks like.

https://youtu.be/s-MOirlcQFE
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
SFMUNI

Post by SFMUNI »

Sjoerd wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 21:15 The information I have read online on several different sites states that on crossovers the line that was build first has the cable 'on top'. Car on that line can hold on to the cable while passing the crossover. Cars on the other (newer) line need to release the cable before passing the crossover, as the cable goes under the cable of the other line.
Oh, I meant crossover as in a switch that can be used to change directions, not a crossing of another whole cable car line.
SFMTA does not know how to run a metro system or light rail or streetcar. 8-)
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Yeah, another American term that others don't understand. Crossovers are what forms an interlocking where there's a switch to allow for turnarounds. Not specifical to a terminus.
Attachments
xq_intlk.gif
xq_intlk.gif (2.31 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Another vehicle, inspired by (so not a 1:1 recreation of) the 1870 cablecar that is in the cable car museum. This is a tractor/trailer combination.

Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Minus the modern buildings, this brings me back to the pioneer days! :D
Leipzig_LP

Post by Leipzig_LP »

Sjoerd wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 23:06 Another vehicle, inspired by (so not a 1:1 recreation of) the 1870 cablecar that is in the cable car museum. This is a tractor/trailer combination.
I'll laugh up my sleeve when I get an APS tram running there 😆
Metro Sim Beta is a really great game.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Leipzig_LP wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 06:08 I'll laugh up my sleeve when I get an APS tram running there 😆
Don't forget... this isn't standard gauge track ;)
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

Yeah, like that will stop people from putting an Arend steam locomotive plus ICR on this track :D
Mr_Rocket2000

Post by Mr_Rocket2000 »

Sjoerd wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 08:04
Leipzig_LP wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 06:08 I'll laugh up my sleeve when I get an APS tram running there 😆
Don't forget... this isn't standard gauge track ;)
Can't wait to try out the HSM there