Polete06

Re: Train suggestion

Post by Polete06 »

Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Polete06 wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 10:21 make this tram:
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/wareho ... 16eb0cd11f
Michiel wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 06:25 Please stop with pointless suggestions. This is a low quality model, lacking interior, making it unsuitable for inclusion. It's almost easier to make it from scratch than to import this.
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
Leipzig_LP

Post by Leipzig_LP »

Wouldn't that be something for users from Eastern Europe or Eastern Germany? 🤔https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... Tatra-Tram
Metro Sim Beta is a really great game.
tunneltrain96

Post by tunneltrain96 »

Leipzig_LP wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 19:30 Wouldn't that be something for users from Eastern Europe or Eastern Germany? 🤔https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... Tatra-Tram
It looks like it might be too high poly for the sim. Plus, I thought we established already that vehicle suggestions aren't really recommended.
Finally updated my avatar photo :)
luka23

Post by luka23 »

I think MG2 was already working on a Tatra tram
brandon

Post by brandon »

Nice Thé Tram 🚊👍👍👍
Leipzig_LP

Post by Leipzig_LP »

tunneltrain96 wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 21:01
Leipzig_LP wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 19:30 Wouldn't that be something for users from Eastern Europe or Eastern Germany? 🤔https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... Tatra-Tram
It looks like it might be too high poly for the sim. Plus, I thought we established already that vehicle suggestions aren't really recommended.
What is the polygon maximum?
Metro Sim Beta is a really great game.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Leipzig_LP wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 12:48 What is the polygon maximum?
For me, there isn't really one, as long as I can get the object into my 3D program, Milkshape 3D.

An overview of the workflow;
  • Open the object in Sketchup
  • Finish it; build an interior for it.
  • Group objects: axles/wheels, bogies, doors (every part that can move relative to another part will be a separate group), couplers, pantograph, car-body exterior, car-body interior.
  • Now save every group as a separate object.
  • Now export each as an OBJ-file (make sure: NO spaces in the file name, or color-references will be lost in the transfer, and then you will have a pretty much non-workable result).
  • Open Milkshape 3D. Import each OBJ file and save it as a Milkshape 3D (ms3d) file. If the OBJ-file is larger then about 4mb, it's too big and won't import. Go back to Sketchup and make it smaller or perhaps devide it into more separate objects.
  • Now in Milkshape every single polygon will end up as a group. So Milkshape will now for example see 15.500 groups. Regroup them by material (choose a material from the materials tab, click "select all" and then "regroup". If the material name for the new group is different, make sure to reset it to the original material you selected), so you end up with a group per material (each of which will become a texture).
  • Make sure every part that can rotate has its object origin in coördinate 0,0,0. For the car body, its 0,0,0 location must be where one of the bogies will be centered.
  • Re-texture all parts. The simulator won't accept Sketchup's original color-codes (like "this polygon is color M01"), so make a texture file (PNG format, of JPG) and assign it to the groups you have made based on the materials. If you colored an object in Sketchup with color "M01" (this is a shade of grey, near white), the material in Milkshape might be called "Color_M01". So make a texture file for that color, and couple it to that group.
  • In the end, export all parts as DirectX *.x-format.
  • Then there is a lot of programming to do in xml format, to finally convert it into the msh-files the simulator understands, make the animations (like opening doors), and assemble the separate objects into a complete vehicle again.
Try to avoid too much detail in Sketchup, like exactly modelled springs in the pantograph or bogies. Those will have so much polygons, it will never survive the import into Milkshape...
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
MG2

Post by MG2 »

I did download that model and still have it
Attachments
T3.jpg
T3.jpg (482.59 KiB) Viewed 1277 times