Glasgow

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sgt_DeBones

Re: Glasgow

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Ew, rival advertisement
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
alexandru987

Post by alexandru987 »

Theyre taking the piss with that map, watch it cost €30. Now, never bring up that filth again
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I honestly didn't expect such negative response. :oops: I'm excited to be honest.

I don't want to imply this will serve as a "replacement" for Sjoerd's work. I doubt it will have as much content as the route for Metro Sim, but I'm still happy to see the Shoogle represented in Train Simulator. The route is apparently set in the early 80's, if that's true there will be no trailer carriages, much less Gen 3 trains. Let alone the maintenance vehicles, although this route comes from Alan Thomson of Thomson Interactive, who made excellent works for TS years prior, so I will give it a chance. If this was a Rivet project for TSW2 then yeah, I would be skeptical as hell. :evil:
alexandru987

Post by alexandru987 »

To be honest, I honestly just hate the train sim community, and all its developers. But anyways, im just more angry at the fact that every developer for Train Sim makes half arsed - tiny maps, with very little variation or anything. Theyre all so linear and they look like theyre thrown together for a quick buck. I know this is WILDLY off topic, but ill just say this to end this. I may have had my qualms with Micheal and Sjoerd in the past, but at least they clearly put effort into thier maps, and dont try and scam thier fanbase at every single point of development. Metro Sim is far from the perfect game, but for what it is, i think its really good, and its 100% free, and its clear that Sjoerd in particular has passion for his projects, always trying to improve all his maps. If you remember the first Glasgow map that didnt get released with the Rotterdam trains used to act as the glasgow trains, yeah it wasnt very good, but as soon as we got the Piccadilly 1973 stock, Sjoerd went above and beyond to completely redo the map to make it better. And then even more recently when the actual Glasgow trains were made, he completely redid the map again, and included the Gen 3 trains as a bonus. No one asked him to do that, but he did it because he wanted to, and give it to people for free. All the addons in Train sim have so little effort put into them, and then are slapped with a €30 price tag and sold to fans.
AlistairCowell

Post by AlistairCowell »

That was very surprising that Glasgow Subway is coming to Train Simulator Classic (formerly Railworks, Train Simulator 20xx). However it comes with orange and black train without SPT logos, but we're sure to have reskins of those trains in time. Very realistic, too!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

alexandru987 wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 20:21All the addons in Train sim have so little effort put into them, and then are slapped with a €30 price tag and sold to fans.
Are you aware that not all TS addons are made by DTG, right? I know a lot can be said about their quality control (cough TSW cough) but some third party devs, like the one making Glasgow for TS, put passion into their projects too. Years before, Alan Thomson made some nice Swiss RhB routes which are amazing. Besides, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me buying TS in early 2019 after discovering an amazing American third party route about 1930 interurban trains in California. That wonderful product reinstated my then long-gone love for train simulators, which eventually led me to discover Metro Sim and also re-install Open Rails.

I get that the price will surely be steep for such a tiny route. I may be spoiled because my country benefits from Steam's regional pricing discount, almost everything is cheaper here than most of the world. Especially ultra niche things like this, so maybe that influences my view a little.
alexandru987

Post by alexandru987 »

TSW is genuinely a joke. I used to love TS back in the day, but nowadays, i feel like theyre addons are such utter scams. Yeah true there are some better developers out there, and there is a heck ton of freeware stuff, but still. To be honest, i hate DTG and its fanbase more than I hate the game itself.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

I want an MSTS remake like MSFS but that shyt ain't happening. MSB is the best/closest to MSTS so I'm happy to be here. The potential here has been mostly achieved.
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
remy

Post by remy »

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 02:15 I want an MSTS remake like MSFS but that shyt ain't happening. MSB is the best/closest to MSTS so I'm happy to be here. The potential here has been mostly achieved.
I have not tried it myself, but isn't OpenRails an MSTS clone/continuation? http://openrails.org/

If you have the original retmetro v5 route, it might work. I've sadly never saved all those files. Not sure if there were Glasgow routes for MSTS, but as you say, style wise, MSB looks very close to MSTS.
AlistairCowell

Post by AlistairCowell »

There was a Glasgow route for MSTS - the Glasgow Carlisle route. That route included some Glasgow suburban lines, which included the Cathcart Circle, Inverclyde Line (Glasgow Central to Gourock and Wemyss Bay) and the Argyle Line (Partick to Motherwell and Lanark via Glasgow Central Low Level). This was on the latest version (Version 4).

There was even an earlier route called Glasgow North Electrics, which has no Scenery! Even the class 314s were Series 2000 repaint.
This was 20 years ago, just less than a year after MSTS was released!

No Glasgow Subway routes have been made for MSTS, although some of us (myself included) have made attempts to make one!