Cable car

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Re: Cable car

Post by Sjoerd »

For shunting in the depot (after all; the cablecars can only move forward, on tracks fitted with a cable); a diesel-powered car based on the grip-car of the 1870 consist. It is not uncommon for tramway companies to convert decomissioned passenger vehicles into work vehicles. ;)

Warning; doesn't do very well on some of the steep hills outside of the depot. :D
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
AlistairCowell

Post by AlistairCowell »

That's defo a diesel self powered vehicle.
tunneltrain96

Post by tunneltrain96 »

He said in the post it's diesel powered...
Finally updated my avatar photo :)
brozma

Post by brozma »

Sjoerd wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 21:43 It is not uncommon for tramway companies to convert decomissioned passenger vehicles into work vehicles. ;)
And Prague transport company isn't an exception! For example: One of the decommissioned Tatra T3 trams, which was for some reason unfit for modernization, was converted to special work tram a.k.a "Lubricating tram." The primary purpose of this tram is to lubricate rails in sharp curves in order to decrease noise (most trams make an awful and loud low-pitched creaking, when turning in sharp curves), but it can also water grass in sections with grass surface or wash away debris which got caught between track and switch rail in switches.

The lubricating tram uses some kind of special oil to lubricate the tracks, so the trams don't creak in turns and don't lose adhesion. Also the lubricating tram was fitted with thyristors, so it can enter the tram expressway between Hlubočepy and Barrandov districts. It had rheostatic controller before, but because trams with rheostatic controller are forbidden to enter the tram expressway between Hlubočepy and Barrandov districts, due to steep slope between Hlubočepy and Geologická stations, it had to be fitted with thyristors, so it can enter it.

Here's the picture of it. Isn't it beautiful? :mrgreen:
The text on blue sign "Mazací vůz" means "Lubricating vehicle" in Czech. Also you can watch a livestream from it's rear dashcam here . The website with stream also has a map, where you can see, where the tram currently is. Sorry, the page is in Czech only, but I think it should work with Google translate. I didn't test it.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

Also in the Hague isn't that uncommon. GTL8 trams 3009, 3011, 3024 and 3044 have been converted to "Pekeltram" which stands for Brinetram. What it uses it's brine salt with water for winter conditions.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

And an old PCC-car has been converted to a work-vehicle to take measurements on the status of the tracks and overhead wires: https://busposities.nl/tn/3d/53/d4/2761 ... 44899f.jpg

They even put a full drivers position in the back, to be able to use it on lines without turning loops, but sadly that did not have much effect on the appearance (they did not put another 'head' on the tram; just fit some headlights on that side, a windscreen wiper, and essentially just used the existing back window. So when driving in this direction, it mostly looks as if the vehicle is driving in reverse all the time. :lol:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dloc567/24710196143/
https://www.iljitsch.com/2021/meettram2019-1.jpg

I once had a ride on it, as part of a themed "PCC day" at the The Hague public transport museum. They told me the instruments can take track measurements when driving 'in reverse', but as the instruments are not mounted symmetrically front-to-back, it would require re-kalibrating them before taking the measurements. So they prefer doing measurements driving 'forward' only, and using the back driver position only to get out of (or get into) sections of track without turning possibilities.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Small update: Two mayor issues have been solved (with help from Michiel; thanks!); the departure boards at the endpoints (which did not work correctly), and the depot; which would not let vehicles enter it using the AI. Now that these issues have been solved, I can continue building a few activities.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

I'm learning how to make activities in a network with a Hageningen-style CVL-system... So it doesn't go very fast at the moment. But I now have a working "weekday" activity (with a full day service), and an afternoon standard service activity (where all vehicles are in service when the activity starts). A good basis for further activities on this network...

Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

This project now moves to the testing phase...
SFMUNI

Post by SFMUNI »

If only the headways were that perfect in reality... Loving the progress shots!
SFMTA does not know how to run a metro system or light rail or streetcar. 8-)