Cable car

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Michiel
Site Admin

Re: Cable car

Post by Michiel »

Random delays can probably already be simulated by making the animation cycles longer and only allowing animation state to change during the last second of the cycle. I just never had time to try it for Hageningen :D

Basically how crossings work: by default all objects are in state 0. When activated all connected objects will be set to state 1. Then the animation will activate and once the objects reach their final state (barriers down or red lights flashing) they enter state 2 which is the signal that the crossing is now closed and the signal clears.
remy

Post by remy »

Michiel wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 17:12 Yes and no. The simulator indeed does not distinguish railroads from other roads, but there are no junctions defined for traffic roads, they are just stitched together so they appear to connect visually. So you can only go straight :D
On a serious note. I don't think that cars that can only go straight is a problem. When you're driving a train, you go past and might see them for a few seconds, you don't notice it, just think, oh a car, nice. On crossings they add details if they also stop and drive again.

For the tram activities it would be less immersive, since then your on the street all the time.

But a few sprinkled here and there? Would be great to try, and if not, remove them in the next version.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Michiel wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 17:58 Basically how crossings work: by default all objects are in state 0. When activated all connected objects will be set to state 1. Then the animation will activate and once the objects reach their final state (barriers down or red lights flashing) they enter state 2 which is the signal that the crossing is now closed and the signal clears.
Now with this info, there could be an additional coded zone for an area on the street that would enforce AI cars to stop there as stated before (and obviously the car AI would detect if other cars are in front of them to form a traffic jam).

Back to the Cable Car map. If we don't call it what I suggest (Chula Viejo), we could also just name it after a Founding Father, like Franklin City or something.

More name suggestions:
Jamesville, Monrovia (which already exists irl), Adams City, Morg City... ← my original map idea...

Edit: Turns out, there's already multiple Jamesvilles in the US :lol:
Light Rail rapid transit (Tram-train) > Metro
remy

Post by remy »

Michiel wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 17:12 The simulator indeed does not distinguish railroads from other roads
Could you maybe give a bit of backstory on why that is the case? Easier to develop (just slap another texture on a piece of rail) or easier in the editor to snap things together? I'm really curious.
SFMUNI

Post by SFMUNI »

"But a few sprinkled here and there? Would be great to try, and if not, remove them in the next version."

They use a giant freightliner brand truck to push the cable cars when the grip-person uses the emergency brake or when there's some other issue, maybe the push truck (which would mostly just stick to the cable car tracks, deviating to go around said disabled cable car) could be a proof of concept for if cars do, or don't work.
SFMTA does not know how to run a metro system or light rail or streetcar. 8-)
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

And with that said, I can see hirailers making a limited appearance to the sim also.
thijs773

Post by thijs773 »

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 17:40 So a solution would need to be discovered if we want ambient car traffic around. As for the the AI for those cars and how they could react to traffic signals altogether, I can see a zoning entity that could send a message to the AI when the cars reach a certain area at an intersection. It would act as a coded traffic signal zone for the AI that would be paired with the physical traffic lights which would also work with AHOBs and other forms of crossing signals.
We know that stopping vehicles when a crossing closes is possible, we've seen it at that one crossing at Rijndam Buitenvelden where the train and the tram cross. Give the road ATB so the vehicles react to the street. Just make sure the ATB signal changes when the crossing is fully lifted, wich is currently not the case (the animated bridges in Rijndam have the same issue.) You can just make a small road loop out of sight to make the vehicles turn around.
Maker of the HalteOmroep/Afroeptool Rijndam 2022 Add-on
Having issues in the sim with an AMD GPU? Check the AMD GPU render fix thread.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

thijs773 wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 07:01 We know that stopping vehicles when a crossing closes is possible, we've seen it at that one crossing at Rijndam Buitenvelden...
That's because it involves the CVL. I'm talking about non-CVL controlled crossings that uses TWC loops.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

(With the American custom of placing trafficlights After the intersection :D )
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

About names for the map, "Freedom City" would be a great suggestion, as well as "Wahington Town".

What do you think?

I think it's time to create a new pool in the thread. What do you think about it, @Sjoerd?
Greetings from Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal.