Fix for AMD GPU rendering issues

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

thijs773

Fix for AMD GPU rendering issues

Post by thijs773 »

I've seen several threads on the forums of people with AMD GPUs having issues while loading the simulator. After doing some tests with a couple of programs, I came up with a solution for this problem.

Here's what you need:
-> 7zip (or any archiver that can extract .tar.gz files.) In this guide I will assume that you use 7zip.
-> The latest release of DXVK (you only need the dxvk-X.X.X.tar.gz file)

Now for the steps:
- Extract the DXVK download. You can do this by right-clicking the file -> 7zip -> Extract to "dxvk-X.X.X.tar/". This will create a folder, in wich will be another archive. Do the same for this archive. You should now have a directory with 2 folders and a .sh file.
- Go into the x64 folder and copy the d3d9.dll file to your Simulator installation folder (the same folder with the Simulator.exe file). Normally this is at C:\Program Files\Metro Simulator.

This is everything! You can try to boot into the simulator and load an activity or enter explore mode. You might notice some graphical glitches, but hey at least it's better than not being able to play at all :D
For the people that do not use AMD graphics: you can also use this patch and profit from other benefits like improved framerate.

Nerd explaination: DXVK is a tool often used on Linux to translate DirectX API calls into Vulkan calls for Linux gamers. However, the DXVK software also works fine on Windows to use Vulkan on pretty much any DirectX game. Even though the simulator natively support DirectX, the AMD issue might be caused because the simulator uses DirectX 9 instead of the newer DirectX 11 (or 12) wich newer AMD cards don't really like. The fix was tested on a AMD RX 580 graphics card.

If you have any questions or issues, feel free to post them in this thread. I'l take a look at them.
Maker of the HalteOmroep/Afroeptool Rijndam 2022 Add-on
Having issues in the sim with an AMD GPU? Check the AMD GPU render fix thread.