Rijndam "Secret line"

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

tunneltrain96

Rijndam "Secret line"

Post by tunneltrain96 »

So I've been wondering about this for a while now, but what was the history/purpose of the mystery line from say Rijndam Airport to National Opera? I have a feeling it was some sort of abandoned line since on some of the Rijndam maps there's an old stock in the platform, but what line was it going to be called?

The history/story of this stuff interests me, it would be nice to hear more about it ;)
Finally updated my avatar photo :)
Sjoerd

Re: Rijndam "Secret line"

Post by Sjoerd »

The idea behind that platform was as a multifunctional platform for the opera/theater; to bring in the artists/performers or VIP's directly from the airport to here. The platform could also be used to deliver cargo/supplies here, so you don't have to do this only at night (when normal services are not running, in order to be able to use the normal platforms for loading/unloading).

The CVL section to operate the switch and door leading to the platform were placed a little bit below the normal CVL layout, to hide it, to make it an easteregg.

The section where the old train was placed is just outside the CVL area (at the platform indicated by a small "end of signalized section" sign), so a train spawned there won't get a trainnumber until you start using it (als long as the train is fully inside that small section of track).

The escalators from the platform up to the platforms of line M6 end just behind a wall in between the M6 platforms.... inspired by Kings Cross's "platform 9 3/4". :D
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
tunneltrain96

Post by tunneltrain96 »

Thanks for the info, I like learning about stuff like this. Maybe if I find some more easter eggs I'll compile them into one video with a little history about each. :)
Transrapid1

Post by Transrapid1 »

Maybe you could include the metrocoaster? I never got to drive it.
thijs773

Post by thijs773 »

You can download the 3.9 version of the sim to drive on it. It's in the Simvliet 2017 map. Note that you need to rename your existing sim installation folder to something else so it doesn't overwrite any existing maps. (Also, obviously, 99% of the new addons don't work on this old version.
Maker of the HalteOmroep/Afroeptool Rijndam 2022 Add-on
Having issues in the sim with an AMD GPU? Check the AMD GPU render fix thread.
AlistairCowell

Post by AlistairCowell »

Sjoerd wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 10:37 The escalators from the platform up to the platforms of line M6 end just behind a wall in between the M6 platforms.... inspired by Kings Cross's "platform 9 3/4". :D
So I wonder if Dutch Hogwarts students uses this platform to go to Kings Cross to connect with Hogwarts Express?
There's Little Whining on the Red Line (City of Thames map), but is Crabtree Alley from Harry Potter as well?
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

AlistairCowell wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 13:08 There's Little Whining on the Red Line (City of Thames map), but is Crabtree Alley from Harry Potter as well?
No, that refers to officer Crabtree from the TV series 'Allo'allo; https://youtu.be/US3gf3pZQ-g / https://alloallo.fandom.com/wiki/Officer_Crabtree ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
tunneltrain96

Post by tunneltrain96 »

Anyone else wanna add to the list of easter eggs? I currently have:

1. Rijndam Nationale Opera branch

2. Simvliet Metrocoaster

(This isn't really intended to expose secrets not discovered yet, but show off some of the more well known ones :D)
tunneltrain96

Post by tunneltrain96 »

Speaking of the metrocoaster, I've never seen the block for it on the line map so I always end up in the red signal position where my speed is restricted.
AlistairCowell

Post by AlistairCowell »

tunneltrain96 wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 21:21 Anyone else wanna add to the list of easter eggs? I currently have:

1. Rijndam Nationale Opera branch

2. Simvliet Metrocoaster

(This isn't really intended to expose secrets not discovered yet, but show off some of the more well known ones :D)
Opening bridges on the tramway network in Rijndam 2020 & 2022 is another shout :D