Share your custom-made Activities!

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Have you tried creating your own activity yet?

Yes!
64%
Nooo
36%

Total votes: 14

NatIsrael972

Share your custom-made Activities!

Post by NatIsrael972 »

Hi all! I'm relatively new here but have already understood quite a lot of how the game works and my favourite map is Rijndam 2022!

Throughout the past few days, I have been familiarising myself with the script structure of the .act, .ctd and .xml files and I believe I understand roughly 90% of them now.

In fact, I have tried to combine all Metro lines (M1 thru M7, including Airport Shuttle Service and Museum Line) into one single .act file and so far after tiressly troubleshooting issues, the game loads - doesn't crash, doesn't freeze, doesn't load empty at Burcht (because when it does, it means there's an error somewhere in the script).

Coming from Singapore myself, I decided to play on the abbreviation MRT which officially stands for Mass Rapid Transit but for Rijndam 2022, I aptly named it Metro Rail Tram. So the progress goes, I have added all the Metro lines, with exception of N1 and N4 which I found in the Rijndam2022.ctd file but will try to add them into the .act (though I will have to add the timetable .xml manually, which would be another fun learning process).

For those asking for the best program to use for editing such files, I use the built-in Notepad. Notepad++ and Visual Studio Code doesn't necessarily improve the experience for me but try it out for yourself and see what suits you best! Though if there is any program or plugin that identifies the opening and closing of <!-- tags -->, it would be great because any unclosed <!-- tags --> as such will cause the map to load empty at Burcht. And after trying it out for myself, I found out that it's not that we need a good program. Instead, we need a good understanding of the script first - which I did, by including <!-- comments --> to make it easier for hoomans like you and I to read through the code :D

For those who would like to try out what I made, I have attached the following files (try not to replace the original or your own files with mine since I edited it quite a lot and I am still learning):

Code: Select all

- MRT.act (The activity file in question)
- Rijndam2022.ctd (I lightly edited the .ctd to correct Denia's destination code from 170 to 17 and also created many <!-- tags --> to make the script more user-friendly) 
Additional Rolling stock required:
- Alstom Metro (MP89 used)
- London Underground S7 (LUS7)

Timetables used (or see .act file):
- _Timetable_AirportShuttleService.xml
- _Timetable_M1.xml
- _Timetable_M2M3.xml
- _Timetable_M4.xml
- _Timetable_M5.xml
- _Timetable_M6.xml
- _Timetable_M7.xml
- _Timetable_Museumline.xml

To-do:
- Continue observation of activity and fix congestions accordingly (Centraal Station, Transferium Rijndijk)
- Include N1 and N4 in Metro
- Start to combine Rail (RijndamRail, NS, Channel Tunnel)
- Start to combine Tram (T4 included!)

===

I hope my <!-- comments --> help everyone understand the script structure better! And feel free to <!-- comment --> about your experience with trying to create your own activities and let us all help one another! :)

Also feel free to share your activities which you might be having trouble with, and let's all do our part to help one another!
Attachments
MSB_MRT_Activity.zip
Version: M.20210419-MO.1725
(39.44 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Connect with me on LinkedIn!

Safety • Practicality • Accessibility • Cost-effectiveness • Efficiency

Towards public transport excellence.
MP 85

Re: Share your custom-made Activities!

Post by MP 85 »

I tested your activity a little, I noticed that there were errors, notably in the timetables and placement of the subways. Have you modified the timetables contained in the timetable files ?
NatIsrael972

Re: Share your custom-made Activities!

Post by NatIsrael972 »

MP 85 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:09 I tested your activity a little, I noticed that there were errors, notably in the timetables and placement of the subways. Have you modified the timetables contained in the timetable files ?
Nope, the .act file will refer to the timetables listed. And yes, I know the timetables still do not match (it'll be painstaking to do so anyway) but I mostly want to show my <!-- comments -->, to serve as a guide for those wanting to make their own activities, to better understand the script structure. So it's more of a learning material in a way, than a fully playable activity but as time goes by, I would definitely be improving it bit by bit.
Connect with me on LinkedIn!

Safety • Practicality • Accessibility • Cost-effectiveness • Efficiency

Towards public transport excellence.