Next Map

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sgt_DeBones

Re: Next Map

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Mr_Rocket2000 wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 10:03 It’s still a bit different. Our Network is different to most other lightrail networks because it has only 6 stations on one line with street sections. The rest of the network is always on its own tracks, sometimes with crossings and sometimes like a real Metro / Subway. Frankfurt is branded U-Bahn because they wanted to build a real U-Bahn. The overground sections, which are partly over 100 years old, were meant to be replaced by underground routes. But like I said, Frankfurt didn‘t have enough money at this time.
That is evey advocates dream, to build subway instead of light rail. But light rail is cheaper. So there is not much of a difference actually. Even if it's called the U-Bahn, doesn't change the fact that it's still a light rail system. Exactly the case with LA Metro Rail. Just because it's called Metro doesn't exempt it from being a light rail.

That's just logic/common sense at the end of the day. Go with the cheaper option.
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
Mr_Rocket2000

Post by Mr_Rocket2000 »

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 16:49
Mr_Rocket2000 wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 10:03 It’s still a bit different. Our Network is different to most other lightrail networks because it has only 6 stations on one line with street sections. The rest of the network is always on its own tracks, sometimes with crossings and sometimes like a real Metro / Subway. Frankfurt is branded U-Bahn because they wanted to build a real U-Bahn. The overground sections, which are partly over 100 years old, were meant to be replaced by underground routes. But like I said, Frankfurt didn‘t have enough money at this time.
That is evey advocates dream, to build subway instead of light rail. But light rail is cheaper. So there is not much of a difference actually. Even if it's called the U-Bahn, doesn't change the fact that it's still a light rail system. Exactly the case with LA Metro Rail. Just because it's called Metro doesn't exempt it from being a light rail.

That's just logic/common sense at the end of the day. Go with the cheaper option.
I never said its not a lightrail….
It‘s just different to normal lightrails. And…there is much difference, especially when you look at typical lightrails like the U5 in frankfurt.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Mr_Rocket2000 wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 21:04 I never said its not a lightrail….
You're missing the point.
It‘s just different to normal lightrails. And…there is much difference, especially when you look at typical lightrails like the U5 in frankfurt.
Maybe you're speaking about Europe as light rail is typically a dominantly tram/streetcar service. But when compared to a typical American light rail system, there's no differences besides the obvious national equipment differences. Both the Frankfurt U-Bahn and the majority of American light rail systems are rapid transit. Otherwise, you should pinpoint and identify why you think there's big contrasting qualities.
Mr_Rocket2000

Post by Mr_Rocket2000 »

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 04:41
Mr_Rocket2000 wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 21:04 I never said its not a lightrail….
You're missing the point.
Maybe you're speaking about Europe as light rail is typically a dominantly tram/streetcar service. But when compared to a typical American light rail system, there's no differences besides the obvious national equipment differences. Both the Frankfurt U-Bahn and the majority of American light rail systems are rapid transit. Otherwise, you should pinpoint and identify why you think there's big contrasting qualities.
A typical lightrail in europe can have both metro and tram sections, but the average lightrail has many street sections.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Mr_Rocket2000 wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 13:58 A typical lightrail in europe can have both metro and tram sections,

Same as America
but the average lightrail has many street sections.
That might be a European thing. Light rail transit in America tends to try and avoid street running when it isn't necessary such as if there's a corridor that can allow for rapid transit (like an abandoned railroad corridor or shared corridor with the conventional NA rail network) versus a compact area such as a well developed district. However, just because Frankfurt U-Bahn has less street running than usual doesn't make it a different type of light rail. St. Louis MetroLink has no street running segments on the entire system for an example.

(I know we went far off topic but this was the best constructive debate in a while. :D )
Mr_Rocket2000

Post by Mr_Rocket2000 »

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 18:36
Mr_Rocket2000 wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 13:58 A typical lightrail in europe can have both metro and tram sections,

Same as America
but the average lightrail has many street sections.
That might be a European thing. Light rail transit in America tends to try and avoid street running when it isn't necessary such as if there's a corridor that can allow for rapid transit (like an abandoned railroad corridor or shared corridor with the conventional NA rail network) versus a compact area such as a well developed district. However, just because Frankfurt U-Bahn has less street running than usual doesn't make it a different type of light rail. St. Louis MetroLink has no street running segments on the entire system for an example.

(I know we went far off topic but this was the best constructive debate in a while. :D )
It doesn‘t make it to a different type of lightrail, it just makes it fitting more into MSB.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Mr_Rocket2000 wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 21:43 It doesn‘t make it to a different type of lightrail, it just makes it fitting more into MSB.
Exactly my point and what I've been pushing for for the last 7 years. The closest we've gotten to the quality of light rail rapid transit is Line T3 of Rijndam and Line 11 of Hageningen.

I do have some friends who are modeling the LA Metro stock and basic objects for it but no ETA on that.
Mr_Rocket2000

Post by Mr_Rocket2000 »

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 23:56
Mr_Rocket2000 wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 21:43 It doesn‘t make it to a different type of lightrail, it just makes it fitting more into MSB.
Exactly my point and what I've been pushing for for the last 7 years. The closest we've gotten to the quality of light rail rapid transit is Line T3 of Rijndam and Line 11 of Hageningen.

I do have some friends who are modeling the LA Metro stock and basic objects for it but no ETA on that.
Rijndam M1, M2, M3 and M5 and Simvliet A, B, D are technically lightrails too. The SG2, RSG2, SG2/1, RSG3, SG3 are all lightrail vehicles.
So ye, not only T3 and 11 are lightrails.
tunneltrain96

Post by tunneltrain96 »

I just consider them regular metros that happen to run like trains, I don't think they would really count as a light rail though if you think about it
Finally updated my avatar photo :)
Mr_Rocket2000

Post by Mr_Rocket2000 »

tunneltrain96 wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 16:17 I just consider them regular metros that happen to run like trains, I don't think they would really count as a light rail though if you think about it
Im not sure about the M1 and M5, because they could be trains too, but lines M2 and M3 (irl Rotterdam A and B) are sneltrams, which means lightrail. About the vehicles, they have blinkers and some other things, which makes them to lightrail vehicles.