Moderator: senjer

Jim2016

Re: New wiki front page

Post by Jim2016 »

Signaling ≠ Protection system
thijs773

Post by thijs773 »

A little thing I noticed: the new image map on the front page already works, but the image isnt updated for it. So the ZUB image sends you to the LUSS page and under the ZUB image a "invisible button" is present wich sends you to the ZUB page.
Maker of the HalteOmroep/Afroeptool Rijndam 2022 Add-on
Having issues in the sim with an AMD GPU? Check the AMD GPU render fix thread.
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

That’s due to your browser caching the old image. Refreshing the page with Ctrl+F5 will fix it ;)
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Over 5 years after its last visual upgrade, the Simvliet wiki page has now been updated to be similar to the pages of other maps! :) https://sim.bemined.nl/wiki/Simvliet_2020

A page for Simvliet 1982 will also be made ;)
zachmanthethird

My new wiki front page

Post by zachmanthethird »

A bit more on-topic with the original intention of this thread, I've started a mock-up of an HTML-ified design of the current front page. Primarily, it's a proof-of-concept that solves the main problem with the current page: it's completely size-responsive. Unless you're looking at it on your phone (which for a wiki page, actually doesn't look half bad), it should at least respond better than an image of a fixed size. It definitely won't be as space-efficient. It's almost twice the current main page template's size even without all the maps' information. Any ideas/comments/suggestions/concerns/advice is welcome. This front page design should be something we're all proud of, not just some random fan's passion project.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Minor tweaks needed in some of the placement of the tabs (judging from a mobile device).
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
zachmanthethird

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 07:44 Minor tweaks needed in some of the placement of the tabs (judging from a mobile device).
Slightly restructured, but it seems the principal offender was not having content on the right side. The right side content needs to be taller than the left side to sort correctly on super small screens. I'm currently working on the actual right side content.
zachmanthethird

My new wiki front page edit 3

Just finished the first draft of my new front page design; you can view it on my user page. There are a few points worth noting:
  • Firstly, I realize that this "new" layout is very similar to an older design before Beta 3.10. The current state's primary focus is to HTML-ify the main page, so it should make sense that it mirrors the original design the image was based off. The core difference is that I've designed around the concept of an unknown screen resolution (which is relatively tricky using only HTML). Overall, I believe it accomplishes this task exceptionally well.
  • Secondly, headers aren't very compatible with what's in the image. Therefore, I've left three examples to illustrate what is versus what could be. All headings in blue follow the current header template without any gimmicks. Unfortunately, this has the interesting consequence that linked text isn't distinguishable from regular text. The purple "Metro Rotterdam" header attempts to mend this issue by making the entire header linked and showing an underline when hovered. This strategy leaves less to be inferred but requires the text not to be a page title and not contain other links. Finally, orange headers add line icon links with the downside of requiring the text to be relinked. This effect is cool but isn't well-handled by the current template. I digress, this isn't a significant problem; I can create a new header template just fine. However, if more pages want to use these features, a greater reformatting may be necessary.
  • Lastly, what is the minimum screen resolution to be accommodated? Currently, the page content is on a flimsy table-like structure to accommodate tiny sizes. However, after testing on over ten devices, all of them can see both columns without combining them. Since image sizes have to be static, knowing my minimum size is tremendously useful.
Like before, any ideas/comments/suggestions/concerns/advice is welcome. Meanwhile, I'm finally going to start playing all this new content!
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Looks nice to be honest. But my opinion is that we shouldn’t try to copy the existing image because it will just always look better, even if on smartphones you have to swipe left to see it all.
So yeah, as a structure it’s very good but maybe change a few things to not try to be an HTML version of the image.

Also, I uploaded separately the image that says "Welcome to the Metro Simulator wiki!" if you want to add it to your draft ;)
https://sim.bemined.nl/wiki/File:WikipageWelcome.png
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

So, the first part of the main page has been replaced (welcome image and version box). However, on mobile it doesn't look good as the box goes below the image. If anyone has experience in HTML and CSS styling, they're feel free to help in https://sim.bemined.nl/wiki/Template:Main_Page/Draft

Also, feel free to state your opinion and/or alter the current design if you have a better idea/implementation