Epping-Ongar Railway

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Do you want to be able to run tube trains on the line to Ongar again?

Yes, from Epping to Ongar, so occiasional tube trains, or 'full-tube-service' are possibilities.
83%
Yes, but only halfway; no further then North Weald.
4%
No, I'd rather have it un-electrified as is exists in reality.
13%

Total votes: 96

Sjoerd

Re: Epping-Ongar Railway

Post by Sjoerd »

Perfect, I can do groups inside sketchup, do they need to have a specific name (ex. door1 left; door2 left, etc)?
Names won't be needed.
The grouping is mostly to break the objects apart easy. In the end, each of these parts must be exported separately to the simulator, each with it's 0,0,0 coördinates in a specific place.
For example; all rotating parts (the axles, bogies and end doors) need to be saved with the 0,0,0 coördinates at the center of the rotation for that part. And the car body itself will need it's 0,0,0 coördinates at the location where it rests on one of the bogies.
Also, the interior needs to be exported into the simulator separate from the exterior for lighting reasons.

If you group the objects together as mentioned, I can easily pull the different elements apart for individual preparation for export (and animation) to the simulator.

In the end, I'll write a script which builds the actual train when you load it in the simulator. This script is build up like this;

-> Bogie 1 is located at 3 meters from the front of the train, object file "XX".
- Axle 1 is at -0,8 meters from the center of the bogie, object file "xxx".
- Axle 2 is at 0,8 meters from the center of the bogie, object file "xxx".

-> Bogie 2 is located at 13 meters from the front of the train, object file "XX".
- Axle 1 is at -0,8 meters from the center of the bogie, object file "xxx".
- Axle 2 is at 0,8 meters from the center of the bogie, object file "xxx".

-> Car body 1 rests on bogie 1 and 2, object file "XXX".

And so on....
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
EA750

Post by EA750 »

Wow :shock: , that sounds complicate
Grouping objects is not a problem, the important thing is if they remain grouped in the same way in case the model is imported in another program, otherwise, I can export objects in separate files
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

As an example; I separated the components for the Santiago NS73 like this, before doing the export-import from Sketchup to Milkshape.
The the objects were grouped first, the pulling apart (and putting back together too) was just a matter of selecting and moving the groups. ;)

Later in Milkshape, I had to save the components as separate objects, re-apply the textures (those don't always come along well), re-orient them in the correct coördinate system, and then export them to the imput format for the simulator. After that, the scripts for the building up of the train by the simulator, and the programming of the animations are done.
Attachments
NS74_forExport2Milkshape.jpg
NS74_forExport2Milkshape.jpg (179.46 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
EA750

Post by EA750 »

This is a perfect example, I will refer to this when the train will be complete, to lay down the objects
For the textures, I can leave the model white and then you apply textures in Milkshape, or I can try to find a way to fit a complete side texture, like the SG2, in case someone wants to repaint it (ex. Isle of Wight color scheme)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

I'd say just use the color palet already in Sketchup. That is easiest. ;)
A repaintable version can be done later.
EA750

Post by EA750 »

Alright, it seems the easiest way for now ;)
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

EA750 wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 20:45
Sjoerd wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 09:13 That '38 stock is indeed not usable.
If someone wants to make a better one..... After all; the Epping-Onger railway will get one (the nr6 or the nr8) from the Island Line, which they intend to use for passenger service (under battery power).
So, since there are no models available for the 1938 stock, I decided to make one :D .
It's far from finished, here it is:

The only thing, is that I'm making it in my spare time, so, it might take a while before it's ready
Let me know if it could be used once finished
Looks great! :D

Keep uo the good work.
Greetings from Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Sorry it's going so slow.... My computer has been busy with dynamic traffic simulations lately (for my normal work; set it up during the day day, let the computer run it during the night, process the resulting data the next day..... many variants, so next evening; the next one :roll: ), so I couldn't use Metrosimulator as I was already using nearly all calculating power.

Okay, current status; I have been building scenery around Theydon Bois. This will be the end of at least this release, and so also a connecting switch between both tracks will be provided (perhaps I'll extend towards Loughton later, but I don't want you to wait longer then needed now...).
I have started trying to make a timetable for an activity for the museumline, but that is just some experimentation with time-distance diagrams in Excel at this point.

RSG3

Post by RSG3 »

Looking good. Will the modern LU trains be compatible with the line?
trains 500

Post by trains 500 »

Sjoerd wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 21:45
Okay, current status; I have been building scenery around Theydon Bois.

is this facing north towards epping????

as i can see the edge of the map i think this image is taken looking south towards debden which means all the scenary is on the wrong side of the track. the triangle car park and housing is on the western side of the station.
My youtube channel containing several Metro sim videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCep1Mi ... sBZ9B0lwWA