A Metro do Porto Light Rail System

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

CarrisTram

A Metro do Porto Light Rail System

Post by CarrisTram »

I’ve recently noticed an increase in the availability of tram-like vehicles in the simulator, which is a positive development. It provides players with a wider range of options when choosing vehicles for different maps. However, I’d like to propose an exciting idea for the future: incorporating a light-rail system that operates with tram vehicles, inspired by the Metro do Porto in Portugal.

Metro do Porto is a unique network—a fast tram system in the city of Porto. Despite its name, it isn’t a traditional metro. Instead, it combines underground sections in central Porto with above-ground tracks extending into the city’s suburbs. The key feature? These low-floor tram vehicles efficiently connect six lines, serving seven municipalities within the greater Porto area.

By including a metro system that operates with trams in the simulator, it can reflect diversity of different realistic Metro system; It envolves the creation on different and interesting urban and suburban environments that players can explore; plus Light-rail systems often become integral parts of a city’s identity.
Attachments
1200px-Metro_do_Porto.svg.png
1200px-Metro_do_Porto.svg.png (82.77 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Sgt_DeBones

Re: A Metro do Porto Light Rail System

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

I've pushed for a similar hybrid characteristic system before (Los Angeles Metro) but suggesting maps is highly likely not going to be developed unless repurposed into an inspired section of a future or existing map. That is the hobbyist mindset.
Light Rail rapid transit (Tram-train) > Metro
NJTFAN1235!

Post by NJTFAN1235! »

CarrisTram wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 14:22 I’ve recently noticed an increase in the availability of tram-like vehicles in the simulator, which is a positive development. It provides players with a wider range of options when choosing vehicles for different maps. However, I’d like to propose an exciting idea for the future: incorporating a light-rail system that operates with tram vehicles, inspired by the Metro do Porto in Portugal.

Metro do Porto is a unique network—a fast tram system in the city of Porto. Despite its name, it isn’t a traditional metro. Instead, it combines underground sections in central Porto with above-ground tracks extending into the city’s suburbs. The key feature? These low-floor tram vehicles efficiently connect six lines, serving seven municipalities within the greater Porto area.

By including a metro system that operates with trams in the simulator, it can reflect diversity of different realistic Metro system; It envolves the creation on different and interesting urban and suburban environments that players can explore; plus Light-rail systems often become integral parts of a city’s identity.
We have such a tram line like that, Simvliet's Hageningen that is. with 18 lines. And Rijndam, with three tram lines.
CarrisTram

Post by CarrisTram »

Yes but this line acts like a solo metro system, the current offer in the simulator are trams that complement the existent metro system
The system operates like this
https://youtu.be/D59GYWlMv1o?si=5ovATSUuyOBlBuYi
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

The closest you'll get for now is the Rijndam tram network. I don't think there will be a new map for Porto anytime soon. Unless Sjoerd plans on it since he's the most active dev.
Light Rail rapid transit (Tram-train) > Metro
NJTFAN1235!

Post by NJTFAN1235! »

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 17:07 The closest you'll get for now is the Rijndam tram network. I don't think there will be a new map for Porto anytime soon. Unless Sjoerd plans on it since he's the most active dev.
See? Rijndam is the closest we can get, Simvliet is another option.