Sleeper cars

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Re: Sleeper cars

Post by Sjoerd »

4 or 5 hours? North to south yes; Groningen to Maastricht is 4,5 hours. East to West, like Leiden to Arnhem, you can do in 1,5 hours.

Sleeper trains are only usefulll for distances of at least 6-8 hours... That would bring you quite far over the border; that last sleeper service which was cancelled a few years ago went to Munich in the south of Germany (I traveled on that once). They cancelled it as you could also make that journey during the day much faster, using the ICE high speed trains; so to replace the sleeper train, they just added an extra ICE service in the morning.
Also a reason; the trains were getting old, and would have to be replaced. The investment was probably not economically worth it....

There once even was a daily service between Amsterdam and Moscow, taking I think about 1,5 days. I always enjoyed the thought that with that train, and the Transsiberia express, you could get from Amsterdam (and Utrecht and Arnhem) to Vladivostok and just need to change trains once :D

EDIT: found the timetable of that service in the timetable book from 2010; departure Amsterdam 19:01, Utrecht 19:29, Arnhem 20:07, and then via Köln, Hannover, Berlin, Warszawa (Poland), and Minsk (left out quite a few stops here) to Moscow, arrival 10:33 (after two nights on the train).
Last edited by Sjoerd on 25 Jul 2020, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
metrolord

Post by metrolord »

Rijndam is a fictional city in Dutch style (made by Sjoerd Ydema), located along the river Rhine, with a metro network inspired by several different Dutch and non - Dutch metro networks.
Does this count?
The only Ukrainian on this forum.
Sleeping trains is the best transport type.
AlistairCowell

Post by AlistairCowell »

If were to have a sleeping car in MSB, it would need to be a train service out of Rijndam or Simvliet and not within a map.
We could have a sleeping car on a train service from Rijndam Centraal to Hondwijk aan Zee, where the train would go on
a train ferry to the mainland, in the days before the Hondwijk to Essim tunnel was built.

After all why is a restaurant car on the Zeeburg to Zeeburg Haven service?
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

AlistairCowell wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 16:15 After all why is a restaurant car on the Zeeburg to Zeeburg Haven service?
That is a biggest flaw I have ever heard about a short very short service. Who in the right mind invested in that? :lol: "I just take this service for the food." The line is on 3-5 minutes long
Light Rail rapid transit (Tram-train) > Metro
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Then perhaps the kitchen is just closed, and it is only providing seating capacity.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
AlistairCowell

Post by AlistairCowell »

Sjoerd wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 17:43 Then perhaps the kitchen is just closed, and it is only providing seating capacity.
Quite right, they have 2+2 seating capacity. I took a screenshot of the Zeeburg Haven shuttle train a few weeks ago, and both coaches
were second class coaches - and no restaurant cars:
Top and Tailed NS 72000 Class departs Zeeburg with the 15:06 shuttle service to Zeeburg Haven on 2nd July 2020.
Top and Tailed NS 72000 Class departs Zeeburg with the 15:06 shuttle service to Zeeburg Haven on 2nd July 2020.
NS_72000_Zeeburg_02072020.jpg (462.15 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
metrolord

Post by metrolord »

We can get from Kharkiv (the nearest city to me) to Kiev in 3 hours on the Intercity+ express train and in 1 day on a normal sleeper car.
Because the sleeper ones go 70 - 80 km/h and stop on almost all stations and the Intercity+ ones go 200 km/h and skip all small and medium stations.
So the sleeper cars can be like normal local trains but go slower than them and stop on almost all stations.
The only Ukrainian on this forum.
Sleeping trains is the best transport type.
iamhankhamTS

Post by iamhankhamTS »

...and why would sleepers be relevant for a game where the average drive time and route length is too short?
Formerly iamhankhamTS but now Coastway Will on the internet - The forum just doesn't allow name changes :lol: :lol:
Trainzdriver328

Post by Trainzdriver328 »

I would like to know that, too
A German Train Simulator Gamer! 🎮🎮 🚄🚄
MP 85

Post by MP 85 »

Do not forget to wake up before you arrive at the station, otherwise you will risk finding yourself face to face with a controller who is :lol: