Filehorst going offline on 30.06.2024

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Jasko510

Filehorst going offline on 30.06.2024

Post by Jasko510 »

Hey

I just wanted to ask if anyone has noticed that Filehorst the website that hosts most Metro Sim Beta addons is going offline by the end of next month.
They said it will be fully gone so maybe it would be a good idea to move files from there to another hosting provider for the future before the files are gone.

The only thing I found on the forum was a dump of all Addons on Archive.org but it might also be good to move singular Addons to a different hoster for the future aswell for if new ones appear.

Just a small observation I made that I wanted to share.
brozma

Re: Filehorst going offline on 30.06.2024

Post by brozma »

I think, this should be aimed primarily at Sjoerd, since he uses Filehorst to publish his Metrosim addons.

@Sjoerd: If you are reading this, you should take this seriously, and start to look for another place to host your Metrosim addons, so we can download it in the future. Since your Metrosim addons is very well done, it would be a huge shame to lose access to them.
And about looking for another place, you don't have to rush it for now, but be aware, after 30th of June 2024, Filehorst will be offline permanently, so we'll lose access to your Metrosim addons. So don't wait for too long.
If you want reccomendations for other file hosting websites, maybe you can use Google drive or Dropbox. I actually used Google drive in the past as a personal private cloud storage, for various videogame progress save files and some Word/Excel/Power Point documents/projects, so I have some experience with Google drive. I actually don't have any exprerience with Dropbox, but I heard, it's really user friendly, so maybe it's easy to use.

@everyone: I believe, there are more cloud storage websites alongside Google drive and Dropbox. If you know about other cloud websites, don't hesitate and write about it here, and if you have a experience with the cloud website/s, you reccomended then go ahead and tell us your experience with that/those website/s. The only condition is: Sjoerd must be able to give public access to his Metrosim addon files in the said cloud storage website, so we can download those addons.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Jasko510

Post by Jasko510 »

brozma wrote: 26 May 2024, 23:16 If you know about other cloud websites, don't hesitate and write about it here, and if you have a experience with the cloud website/s, you reccomended then go ahead and tell us your experience with that/those website/s. The only condition is: Sjoerd must be able to give public access to his Metrosim addon files in the said cloud storage website, so we can download those addons.
I mean Mega.nz would probably be another good option. There is standard 15GB of storage and Mega has a pretty good reputation for file sharing besides the free limit for storage space.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Sjoerd is currently on holiday in the UK, judging by his latest video in YouTube and his prolongued absence from the forum.
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

We discussed the possibility to upload the add-ons on the metro simulator website itself when this was first announced. Main reason that Sjoerd uses filehorst is that he wanted to be able to upload new versions himself and the provider where the main website is hosted does not seem to have guest FTP access that can be restricted to certain folders. A possible solution would be to integrate something like Wordpress into the website where multiple accounts can be created for uploading addons.
Jasko510

Post by Jasko510 »

Michiel wrote: 28 May 2024, 12:36 Main reason that Sjoerd uses filehorst is that he wanted to be able to upload new versions himself and the provider where the main website is hosted does not seem to have guest FTP access that can be restricted to certain folders. A possible solution would be to integrate something like Wordpress into the website where multiple accounts can be created for uploading addons.
I mean that would probably solve it the easiest and make it easy for other people to be added in the future if thats ever planned. Alternativly there are other sharing sites that are also free up to a certain size that probably won't go away for ages. Question is just which is the easiest to implement for whoever runs the website.