Screenshots & Videos

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

brozma

Re: Screenshots & Videos

Post by brozma »

Translation request.jpg
Translation request.jpg (181.99 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Can somebody please translate that text on the SGMm's coupler from Dutch to English?
I already tried to use Google Translate, but the result doesn't seems to be correct.
This is, what I got, when I typed that text to Google Translate: "Coupling only from freestanding (Retract coupling eye into coupling head)." Honestly, that translation doesn't make sense to me, and it seems to be incorrect.
If you can't for some reason read the text on the coupler, it says: "Koppelen alleen uit losstand (Koppeloog in de koppelkop terug trekken)"
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

brozma wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 20:50 (...)
Can somebody please translate that text on the SGMm's coupler from Dutch to English?
I already tried to use Google Translate, but the result doesn't seems to be correct.
This is, what I got, when I typed that text to Google Translate: "Coupling only from freestanding (Retract coupling eye into coupling head)." Honestly, that translation doesn't make sense to me, and it seems to be incorrect.
If you can't for some reason read the text on the coupler, it says: "Koppelen alleen uit losstand (Koppeloog in de koppelkop terug trekken)"
I got: "Coupling only from release position (Retract coupling eye in coupling head)"

Is that what it really means?

I also used Google Translate...
Greetings from Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

This is how I see it;

The parts mentioned (on a train in the Utrecht Railway museum):

"Koppelen alleen uit losstand (Koppeloog in de koppelkop terug trekken)"

-> Coupling only from free position.
-> Retract couple eye into the couple head. -> when it is extended out, that is usually the coupled position of this part. So probably attempting to couple with that part in that position won't go well...

The next images are from this Youtube video: https://youtu.be/ds9UWgicJiE
It shows a Scharfenberg coupler with the electrical components on the sides. So like the NS ICM trains and the RET MG2 and SG2 trains. In the second half of the video you can see what happens inside.

When the couplers connect, the "koppeloog" extends out of its coupler head and into the opposing coupler.

When the couplers disconnect, the "koppeloog" should retract again into the couple head. But incase that doesn't happen, this should be done manually before the coupler is used again.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
brozma

Post by brozma »

Ooooh.... So the text on the couples warns the driver or station personnel to check if the "coupling hook" (that's how I would translate "Koppeloog") is retracted inside the coupler before coupling units together.

Also, ICM, MG2 and SG2 aren't the only rolling stock equipped with Scharfenberg coupler. In Czechia, ČD class 451 (Nicknamed: Pantograph, Frogmouth) and ČD class 471 City Elephant (Nicknamed: Elephant, Mess tin ["Ešus" in Czech]) units have Scharfenberg couplers as well. Although ČD class 471 also has a hook for chain coupling, used in 2 cases. 1st case: The unit is defective and needs to be towed into depot by loco for fixing. 2nd: The unit has to go through sections of the track, which aren't electrified or are electrified with unsuitable voltage system (ČD class 471 is meant to be powered by 3kV DC. In Czechia, two voltage systems are used on railways: 3kV DC and 25kV 50Hz AC). In that case the unit has to be coupled to diesel loco (in case of unelectrified section) or to electric loco meant for the voltage system used in that section (in case of section electrified with unsuitable voltage system). AFAIK, ČD class 451 hasn't chain coupling hook and towing loco had to equipped with Scharfenberg adaptor in order to couple with it.

In Prague metro, all rolling stock (Ezh3 [historic], 81-717 [historic], 81-717M and Siemens M1) have Scharfenberg couplers, these are used on 81-717M and Siemens M1 primarily to tow defective train to depot or shunt it around in depot. On Ezh3 and 81-717 these couplers could be also used for shortening or extending the train.

Most Prague trams don't have Scharfenberg couplers. They have rod couplers either retractable (Skoda 14T, Skoda 15T) or fixed (Tatra T3, Tatra KT8D5). The only exception is Tatra T6A5, which has Sechéron coupler. Sechéron coupler is very similar to Scharfenberg coupler, but it's narrower and is able to transfer traction power between trams. That also explains, if you saw a picture of two Tatra T6A5 trams coupled into pair, why the rear tram has it's panto dropped down. That's because the rear tram is powered from the front tram, so rear tram having panto lifted up is pointless (although if the power transfer was malfunctioning, the panto could be lifted up on the rear tram, but that was used as a emergency setup to get to the depot ASAP).

Also, about translation from Dutch. If I see a text in Dutch, I am trying to translate it by comparing the Dutch words to it's (possible) English or German equivalents. This is because some Dutch words looks or sounds similar to some English or German words (Dutch closer to German IMHO). In some cases, it works. For example, when I tried to translate the nickname of NS ICM "Koplopper" I immediately saw similarities with 2 German words "der Kopf" (Head) and "das Loch" (Hole) so I divided that conjunction and processed it like this:
"Koplopper" -> "Kop"-"Lopper"
"Kop" - "der Kopf" (Head)
"Lopper" -> "Loppe" -> "das Loch" (Hole)
I put it together and I got: "Headhole"
Although this translation might be wrong, I think, it's possibly most accurate I could think of.
Sadly in the case of that text on coupler, this method didn't help me. I tried to use it, but I couldn't find any good equivalent and gave up.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Transrapid1

Post by Transrapid1 »

Lovely ICE trains...they should go to Rijndam Centraal, but due to construction works, they will continue to Hageningen instead.
P.S. I am excited for the connection Essim TT to the SRL network, to run a train from Rijndam to Simvliet/Hageningen, detaching at Essim Ctl:)
Attachments
ICE 1051/ICE 1052 on the way to Hageningen, because they cant go to Rijndam
ICE 1051/ICE 1052 on the way to Hageningen, because they cant go to Rijndam
ICE Simvliet Hageningen.png (163.46 KiB) Viewed 889 times
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

brozma wrote: 16 Feb 2022, 15:27 Ooooh.... So the text on the couples warns the driver or station personnel to check if the "coupling hook" (that's how I would translate "Koppeloog") is retracted inside the coupler before coupling units together.

Also, ICM, MG2 and SG2 aren't the only rolling stock equipped with Scharfenberg coupler. In Czechia, ČD class 451 (Nicknamed: Pantograph, Frogmouth) and ČD class 471 City Elephant (Nicknamed: Elephant, Mess tin ["Ešus" in Czech]) units have Scharfenberg couplers as well. Although ČD class 471 also has a hook for chain coupling, used in 2 cases. 1st case: The unit is defective and needs to be towed into depot by loco for fixing. 2nd: The unit has to go through sections of the track, which aren't electrified or are electrified with unsuitable voltage system (ČD class 471 is meant to be powered by 3kV DC. In Czechia, two voltage systems are used on railways: 3kV DC and 25kV 50Hz AC). In that case the unit has to be coupled to diesel loco (in case of unelectrified section) or to electric loco meant for the voltage system used in that section (in case of section electrified with unsuitable voltage system). AFAIK, ČD class 451 hasn't chain coupling hook and towing loco had to equipped with Scharfenberg adaptor in order to couple with it.

In Prague metro, all rolling stock (Ezh3 [historic], 81-717 [historic], 81-717M and Siemens M1) have Scharfenberg couplers, these are used on 81-717M and Siemens M1 primarily to tow defective train to depot or shunt it around in depot. On Ezh3 and 81-717 these couplers could be also used for shortening or extending the train.

Most Prague trams don't have Scharfenberg couplers. They have rod couplers either retractable (Skoda 14T, Skoda 15T) or fixed (Tatra T3, Tatra KT8D5). The only exception is Tatra T6A5, which has Sechéron coupler. Sechéron coupler is very similar to Scharfenberg coupler, but it's narrower and is able to transfer traction power between trams. That also explains, if you saw a picture of two Tatra T6A5 trams coupled into pair, why the rear tram has it's panto dropped down. That's because the rear tram is powered from the front tram, so rear tram having panto lifted up is pointless (although if the power transfer was malfunctioning, the panto could be lifted up on the rear tram, but that was used as a emergency setup to get to the depot ASAP).

Also, about translation from Dutch. If I see a text in Dutch, I am trying to translate it by comparing the Dutch words to it's (possible) English or German equivalents. This is because some Dutch words looks or sounds similar to some English or German words (Dutch closer to German IMHO). In some cases, it works. For example, when I tried to translate the nickname of NS ICM "Koplopper" I immediately saw similarities with 2 German words "der Kopf" (Head) and "das Loch" (Hole) so I divided that conjunction and processed it like this:
Although this translation might be wrong, I think, it's possibly most accurate I could think of.
Sadly in the case of that text on coupler, this method didn't help me. I tried to use it, but I couldn't find any good equivalent and gave up.
Koploper actually means walking head.
Loper is actually lopen which means walk
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

brozma wrote: 16 Feb 2022, 15:27 Also, about translation from Dutch. If I see a text in Dutch, I am trying to translate it by comparing the Dutch words to it's (possible) English or German equivalents. This is because some Dutch words looks or sounds similar to some English or German words (Dutch closer to German IMHO). In some cases, it works. For example, when I tried to translate the nickname of NS ICM "Koplopper" I immediately saw similarities with 2 German words "der Kopf" (Head) and "das Loch" (Hole) so I divided that conjunction and processed it like this:
Almost.... ;)

The Wikipedia page on the Koploper trains has a more accurate translation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Intercity_Materieel wrote:The train received the nickname Koploper, because it had a so-called "walk through head"
Literally, it would be "Head walker" ;)
SFMUNI

Post by SFMUNI »

Could also mean that you're not supposed to couple the trains with the electrical pins exposed, to avoid damaging the pins when the trains couple.
SFMTA does not know how to run a metro system or light rail or streetcar. 8-)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Eager to get to work... :D

Leipzig_LP

Post by Leipzig_LP »

Finally some work for the small locomotives
Metro Sim Beta is a really great game.