Rijndam

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Alfacinha315

Re: Rijndam

Post by Alfacinha315 »

<Swaggerboy> wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 19:19 Is the tram track to Transferium Rijndijk stil open or will that also be like the AirPort shuttle??
According to the map, line M5 will still running... So, I guess the tracks will also be open.
Greetings from Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Alfacinha315 wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 19:18 Ok. Well, just a quick question... As there will be lines out of service, will you also remove some rolling stock from this map?
Remove rolling stock? Well, if I remove the Airportshuttle, that will include its depot and therefore also the rolling stock. But for RijndamRail SG4's, I could just park the surplus trains at the sidings in activities.

The tram platforms at Transferium Rijndijk; those tracks have been made to look rusty due to the trams now having a new route (and M5 metro's not using them as they use the metro platform on the top level), but they are still available and can be used.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

I didn't ask you to remove some rolling stock, I just asked about it, as you want to remove the frame drop problems with computers. ;)
Greetings from Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal.
brozma

Post by brozma »

Wow, I see. That T3 line, that's how I imagined T3 line to be like in Rijndam 2020. And I don't mind Airport Shuttle to be taken out of service in Rijndam 2022 map, pretending it's under reconstruction. I can't wait to test that Rijndam 2022 map and take a ride on improved T3 line.

Also, I saw some pictures of track between Statenpolder and Transferium Rijndijk. Many people of our community called it "lightrail". In my opinion, that's not "lightrail." It's more be like "tram expressway" or "tram high speed track" (See topic "Simvliet Lightrail" if you don't know what these expressions means).
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

"Lightrail" is, at least in the Netherlands, just a term used in the media and politics. Legally, if (it is not a normal railway train and) it runs on a totally separate tracks, then it is a metro. Otherwise (if it has streetlevel crossings), it is a tram.

That is why the SG2's got direction indicators; between Capelsebrug and Ommoord / De Tochten, the metro switches to overhead wires and has many level crossings. So on that part, it is legally not a metro but a tram, and for trams direction indicators are mandatory, even if they had no practical use here at all.
In Amsterdam, they have a "sneltram" (fast tram) line too; line 51 to Amstelveen. In media interviews, they actually refer to the changeover to the 'tram'part of the system as "converting the vehicle to a tram" (or to a metro in reverse. As if it goes into a workshop for a surgical makeover :lol: ).
Here you can see that conversion; https://youtu.be/71eE09ICgvU?t=4m19s. First the pantographs are set up, and after the doors close, the footboards go down (as the platforms on the Sneltram part are closer to the tracks). As it leaves in tram-mode, the direction indictors are used. :D

The term "lightrail" really has no meaning, as it can refer to a either a metro or a tram system, or both combined. It is simply a PR thing; it sounds more modern then "tram" or "metro", making the chances of getting the project through the decision making process a little bit better. ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

brozma wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 17:56 Many people of our community called it "lightrail". In my opinion, that's not "lightrail." It's more be like "tram expressway" or "tram high speed track"
Technically, that's what a light rail is where I'm from.
This is now a dead account.
luka23

Post by luka23 »

Lightrail is just the opposite of heavyrail. You don't ever hear someone say "we will build a heavyrail". It's either a subway or a train.
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

To me it seems the american lightrail is simmilar to the german Stadtbahn.
You see, we actually have a finer sorting of train types.

Stadtbahn refers to a (faster) Tram that also includes aspects of Metro trains. Or you could also describe it as a Metro thats partially streetrun, such as line M2 in Rijndam probably. Stadtbahn trains thus usually have indicators, mirrors, everything that a tram needs, on top of usually a higher level floor than a normal tram, higher speeds and higher ride comfort.

Trams, or Straßenbahn, as the name indicates (Straße = Street) are the conventional streetrun trams. Note that Trams in germany usually don't serve underground stations, rarely ever go faster than 60 (at which point they are also usually not very comfortable anymore) and at least since the late 90s are also low floor.

Subways, or U-Bahn, (U standing for Underground), are the classical Metros and run typically underground. Obviously, there are exceptions to that, most prominently the Hamburg lines U1 and U3 that run overground for a majority of the line, so being underground is only optional. However, U-Bahn trains always have their own seperate tracks and may never be streetrun, thus they also utilise 3rd rails. This means that in Germany only 4 cities, Berlin, Hamburg, Nuremberg and Munich have a actual U-Bahn. Even though some cities in the Ruhrgebiet area (Essen, Stuttgard, Frankfurt...) prefix their partially underground Stadtbahn lines with a U, those do not really count as U-Bahn lines as the trains have indicators, overhead wires and are at some part also streetrun. Line M6 in Rijndamn would be an example for such a U-Bahn line

But then theres another one, we also have S-Bahn. S-Bahn is a mix between the Dutch term Metro and regional trains. S-Bahn trains are also never streetrun, but are also usually not underground. (With the exceptions of a lot of cities having a city tunnel for S-Bahn trains, but the most part of the routes is overground). S-Bahn trains can utilise both 3rd rail (Hamburg and Berlin) or overhead wires (rest of Germany). Overhead wires are more common as many S-Bahn trains just run alongside normal mainline trains. I think the best comparable to an S-Bahn that exists in MetroSim is Rijndam M1 with its overground ZUB Signalled section. However, line M1 is incoperated better into the general Metro network that also contains underground and sneltram lines, whereas we strictly seperate the systems.

Greets, Mika
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

MetroSimGermany wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 19:08 To me it seems the American light rail is simmilar to the German Stadtbahn.
You see, we actually have a finer sorting of train types.

Stadtbahn refers to a (faster) Tram that also includes aspects of Metro trains. Or you could also describe it as a Metro thats partially streetrun, such as line M2 in Rijndam probably. Stadtbahn trains thus usually have indicators, mirrors, everything that a tram needs, on top of usually a higher level floor than a normal tram, higher speeds and higher ride comfort.
Yes, that is correct. You can take LA's Gold Line for a perfect example as it has underground, street running, cab signal, elevated, freeway running, and even side-by-side freight running sections. It is completely powered by overhead wires 650-950V DC throughout the entire route and runs on delicious standard gauge. All of the lines are high floor systems with handicap accessibility.

This is also why I can't wait for the new T3 even though it is low floor (because it is a tram. Duh, Chris). :D
This is now a dead account.
Giovanni1998

Post by Giovanni1998 »

will railway station Rijndam Zuid used in Rijndam 2022 ? i dont see that on the map