Rijndam

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

MattH

Re: Rijndam

Post by MattH »

On tunnels, I would expect at least the section between Garenmarkt and Stadhuis to have older style tunnels today (GRM-DMP has track that did not exist in 1985,
and DMP-MKW had 2 tracks, while today it has 4).

On tile art, I know that the London Underground has some, and I think the Rotterdam Metro has some as well.
I guess it will be easier to implement in underground stations (like Noorderpoort and King Wilhelm 1), than in overground stations (like Nobelplein and Lambik)

On Houtweg, people start to care about things when they are about 40-50 years old, and I guess Houtweg station was built in 1968, right at the beginning of the 'people like to preserve' time. If you ask the general public about scrapping a car from the 60s, they typically will say 'No!', if you ask the general public about scrapping a car from the 90s, most will generally agree; what I'm trying to say is unless the station was changed or heavily damaged, I think the station should stay in the classic style. (it may be fine if you put up a plaque saying something like 'In 2017 Houtweg station was heavily damaged by a terrorist attack' or something like that)
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Why are you guys always trying bringing terrorist attacks into MetroSim now? :roll:
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
MattH

Post by MattH »

MetroSimGermany wrote: Why are you guys always trying bringing terrorist attacks into MetroSim now? :roll:
Blame the news :roll:
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

MattH wrote: why is the speed limit between Houtweg and Simvlietlaan so slow? (40/50km/h?)
Because of the tight turns. As you know, Molenwijk - CS was the first section I have build. I did not know how to bank the tracks to make higher speeds possible then, and adding this later, after the line has already been build, proved very difficult: you have to start the turn with a wider radius, then the main turn, and then via another wider radius back to straight track.
In this case, that either means giving up or moving the entire Houtweg station, or ending up with a main turn that it so tight (due to the room required for the wider radius curves), that even with banking, you still end up with a low maximum speed.
On tunnels, I would expect at least the section between Garenmarkt and Stadhuis to have older style tunnels today
I am not going to rebuild those tunnels into the older type, as I would then have to do it in all three Rijndam versions, due to the reason I stated in this post: viewtopic.php?p=12954#p12954
On tile art, I know that the London Underground has some, and I think the Rotterdam Metro has some as well.
I guess it will be easier to implement in underground stations (like Noorderpoort and King Wilhelm 1), than in overground stations (like Nobelplein and Lambik)
I have tried to make it, but it did not work. It seems the only font available to make good looking mozaic station names (of good enough quality; http://haroldsfonts.com/portfolio/subway-mosaic/) is payware. There are free fonts available, but they look less good, and are not integrated in a good background.
On Houtweg.........unless the station was changed or heavily damaged, I think the station should stay in the classic style.
Too late, I have already rebuild the station. :D
(it may be fine if you put up a plaque saying something like 'In 2017 Houtweg station was heavily damaged by a terrorist attack' or something like that)
MattH wrote:
MetroSimGermany wrote: Why are you guys always trying bringing terrorist attacks into MetroSim now? :roll:
Blame the news :roll:
I know it sounds like censoring (which I do not like), but my policy would be NOT to show terroristic acts on the news. At all. Why? because terrorists commit these acts in order to scare as much people as possible. The bigger the number of fatalities of their acts, the bigger the audience they will get as it becomes big news. So why help them with this by showing it on the news, or putting up plaques? It is sad for the innocent victims, but I will not help terrorists in achieving their main goals.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
MattH

Post by MattH »

To make me happy, just add another set of escalators :)
does not feature terrorism, does not anger historical groups.
Either that, or moving the station in 2018. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

About tile art, I was talking about pictures, instead of station names, they should be separate in Rijndam :roll:
Still, I guess that will take a lot of time...
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

I think the general problem is that while Sjoerd can repaint station signs easily, this goes afaik not for every texture in game, and so if Michiel didnt provide mozaic walls its not available ;)

Greets, Mika
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
MP 85

Re : Rijndam

Post by MP 85 »

MattH wrote:also, why is the speed limit between Houtweg and Simvlietlaan so slow? (40/50km/h?)
You are not going to drive at 70 km/h in the corners. 8-)
If not a radar could flasher :?
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

If it travels 70 km/h it will be too dangerous for the passengers and will also damage the metro train.
Sjoerd

Re: Re : Rijndam

Post by Sjoerd »

MP 85 wrote:You are not going to drive at 70 km/h in the corners. 8-)
If not a radar could flasher :?
If you are driving faster then the maximum allowed speed, that means you have turned off the ATB system, and you are driving in an unsafe way. That will get you fired.

Remember the Croydon tram crash. No ATB system there, but it shows what can happen when you take turns to fast: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Croy ... derailment
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
MP 85

Re: Re : Rijndam

Post by MP 85 »

RotterdamMetroLover wrote:If it travels 70 km/h it will be too dangerous for the passengers and will also damage the metro train.
Sjoerd wrote:If you are driving faster then the maximum allowed speed, that means you have turned off the ATB system, and you are driving in an unsafe way. That will get you fired.

Remember the Croydon tram crash. No ATB system there, but it shows what can happen when you take turns to fast: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Croy ... derailment
I understand better why it is necessary to drive at 50 km hour in this zone :?