Samuel wrote:Well, I'm someone who will never give it a chance! :D
Make it twee! :mrgreen:
Sjoerd

Re: Automatic door protection

Post by Sjoerd »

Guille3604 wrote:
Samuel wrote:Well, I'm someone who will never give it a chance! :D
Make it twee! :mrgreen:
Are you two afraid your driving skills are not good enough to stop at exactly the right position? :D

I am a volunteer driver at the Amsterdam museumtram; those historic trams can accelerate quite fast even with the first setting on the controller. But you still have to be able to maneuver very precise when you need to couple with a trailer car (with your conductor standing in between the motorcar and trailercar guiding the manually operated couplers together); very slow with centimeter-accuracy.
With platform doors on a metro system, this kind of accuracy isn't even needed; you can still have up to half a meter margin.
Just see it as a challenge in improving yourself ;)

If they become available, I will use them, but I promise not to do it on all lines. :)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

You are talking about driving skills, but I know pretty sure that I have a better feel for trains and metro's than you do. I Also do have a better feel of driving them rather than driving a "tram" :roll: :lol: . Seeing platform doors just ruins the scenery (view) and they make you stop at an exact point (which none of that is fun to do :lol: ).
I'm not here.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Samuel wrote:You are talking about driving skills, but I know pretty sure that I have a better feel for trains and metro's than you do.
I seriously doubt that(!), rail (passenger)transport has been my biggest passion for the last 30 years, it takes up nearly all my free time, my house is nearly a railway museum, and it has been on the basis if my study and career choices. I have driven a real freighttrain (600m long, with 3 locomotives) before across the country (flawlessly, and exactly according to the timetable, with the real driver just relaxing next to me), and I have been driving historic trams for 5 years on a former railwayline (Amsterdam Haarlemmermeerstation - Bovenkerk).
But I don't want to argue further about that here (as it is off-topic); do that via PM if you want to.
Last edited by Sjoerd on 02 Mar 2017, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Pushing and pulling the throttle doesn't mean that you have a good feel for the driving, there are more factors that REAL hobbyists feel and I'm not going to explain them to you. :roll:

And you just keep saying that you don't like routes without scenery (you just can't stop picking on Briel like a little child :x ). Briel doesn't have scenery at the moment, but I will eventually work on that and it will look better (at this moment it already has a better working and looking CVL ;) ).

And for your information, if things exist in reallife, then it really doesn't mean that it's going to be fun in a game!
I'm not here.
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

Wow. That escalated quickly.

Me as someone coming from Berlin where we still use somewhat acient technology in regards of transportation (like busses you have to que at the first door instead of having a fast passanger exchange on all doors), I'm afraid of platform doors and ticket gates ruining the "character" of the transportation system, like those soundproof trains with their "shhhh" tram noise. I'm rather young compared to most rail/metrofans, but I like taking the longer metro ride over the commuter trains at most times, as it is a great experience coming into a nice train with wooden interieur from the 70's without any stress. And it has something nice, if its cold outside and you can actually close the doors etc. As much as I like looking into the tunnels when waiting for a train, I absolutely understand platform doors for safety reasons, but in my fictive dream city, not. Instead of ticket gates, it would I would fund transportation via a tax everyone has to pay, thus lowering the amount of people using cars (as they have paid for the metro anyways) and effectively saving heavy on ticket inspectors AND technology for the chipcards.
However, it has been decided to not introduce any automated trains or such before 2030 and the chipcard system, well I already told you about that.

As for platform doors in simulators - I can only talk about a nice Korean route that featured those in OpenBVE - its not that hard if a system to monitor the trains distance to the stopping point is installed in either the cab or on the platform

Greets, Mika
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Samuel wrote:Pushing and pulling the throttle doesn't mean that you have a good feel for the driving, there are more factors that REAL hobbyists feel and I'm not going to explain them to you. :roll:

And you just keep saying that you don't like routes without scenery (you just can't stop picking on Briel like a little child :x ). Briel doesn't have scenery at the moment, but I will eventually work on that and it will look better (at this moment it already has a better working and looking CVL ;) ).

And for your information, if things exist in reallife, then it really doesn't mean that it's going to be fun in a game!
I really don't want an angry argument here, and I do want to remain friends. So let us not fight over things like this.
We both like the simulator for different elements. For me, I like the realism; the closer a simulation comes to real life operation, the better I like it. Also fictional elements; if they are build in an way which could actually be real, then I like them. That is why I like the fictional metro's (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=825#p9321), and why I am not a big fan of the HSM (something like that would never be build in real life).
Making things extra fictional just because it is a game (like the collecting seconds and points element in the NoordZuidLijn simulator), does not work for me; that actually damages my motivation to spend more free time on it.
It is apparent that you think different about it.

I am NOT picking on Briel. If you would like me to test the route for you, then I will, and I will give you objective feedback on problems I detect, and possible points of improvement. And I will refrain from giving subjective remarks on things I personally would not have done, but which you might have chosen to do, what you like. All I ask in return is that you look at Rijndam in the same way, and tell me about errors you may have found.
But only if you want to; if you ask me, I will test Briel and give feedback (which should be seen as feedback, not as criticism).
But just don't tell me you are sure you have better feel for trains and metro's; you have never met me, you do not know me as a person, you do not know my history. Rail transport has been a big part of my identity all my life, and the remark just got my blood boiling. I just had to react.
That's why I made that remark about not liking no scenery in a route; you mentioned that you don't like platform doors because they block the scenery, while Briel is a very big network with almost no scenery (yet) at all. So, I'll apologize about that remark, and I have removed it.

Can we forget about the things we have said to each other in this topic and stay friends?
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

Sjoerd wrote:my house is nearly a railway museum
I think the real question here is: do you have platform doors in your garage that only open when your car is parked there precisely on the right place?
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Haha, I like that idea :lol:

But no; I have no garage, and no car; I travel by train ;)
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

Michiel wrote:
Sjoerd wrote:my house is nearly a railway museum
I think the real question here is: do you have platform doors in your garage that only open when your car is parked there precisely on the right place?
Haha, you do have a good sense of humor. :lol:
In Rotterdam we don't have Automatic door protection so its not coming in the simulator