Ticket Validation Machines

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Jim2016

Ticket Validation Machines

Post by Jim2016 »

Wouldn't be a nice idea to add ticket validation machines in the next beta of Metro Simulator. I think it's not that difficult for Michiel to make these new objects.
Here's an idea:
RotterdamMetroLover

Re: Ticket Validation Machines

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

That's going to be a lot of work to do it, he is not going to add this in next beta.
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

I mean, they don't have to work. Just, as still objects.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Here is the Dutch version;

Picture: http://www.humanefficiency.nl/public/pi ... %2011k.jpg

If this would become available in Metrosimulator as an object, then I would place them on all Rijndam 2018 surface stations (on underground stations, they would be out of sight from the platforms). ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

You mean Fare Gates?
This is now a dead account.
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

Yes, you're right. But we don't have tickets anymore on metro and train, we have a card that it is named OV-Chipkaart (Chipcard). We have the yellow one which I have and its for that person only. And Blue Card is for anybody, but 1 person can travel with that card.
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

In Athens we have paper tickets and cards. But they are now being replaced with two types of electronic cards, the multiple ticket that is for everybody and can be reused and the smart card, which has the name and a photo of the owner. It's like in Rotterdam in a way.
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

To be honest, no one needs these.

And while I understand the use of platform doors kinda though they have some cost to be installed and assitance systems in the trains nessecary for operation. But ticket gates - I don't get the point. I'm always using paper tickets in Berlin with normally no need to ever get it out except on the bus. Yes, we do have smartcards, but the scanners on the busses only work like 30% of the time, and even then I only saw 2 people ever using it in the I think 3 years the system is in operation. Nearly everyone ignores those. Even worse, the hand scanners of the conductors (you'd be happy if they even have one and not just their smartphone which is of course horribly unreliable) often malfunction as well, but different then lets say in London where they just say, yeah, have a free ride, I can't fix it for now, they actually go with you to the police to check your ID, then check their server (if it works :lol: ) if you actually have a ticket then give you paper tickets for a week until you have to go to Alexanderplatz when your new card is ready. Now Imagine this with ticket barriers.
Actually I had such an experience in Paris few years ago where the barriers operate with paper tickets, the barriers often don't work at all. Now when the museum shut at 17:30 and hundreds of people got to Louvre metro station, finding 1 of 3 barriers at the entrance out of order and when I tried it got stuck on my ticket and shut down as well. So its basicly everyone jumping over them anyways of pushing them into emergency mode there. Good luck sending a conductor there to stop the people to fix it or let alone check their tickets manually.

Greets, Mika
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

MetroSimGermany wrote:But ticket gates - I don't get the point.
They are ment to keep people without a valid ticket off the platforms and out of the trains. Aside from the revenue loss, these are the people who cause the most violence in public transport, especially when they are about to be fined by a conductor.
I'm always using paper tickets in Berlin with normally no need to ever get it out except on the bus. Yes, we do have smartcards, but the scanners on the busses only work like 30% of the time, and even then I only saw 2 people ever using it in the I think 3 years the system is in operation. Nearly everyone ignores those.
In the Netherlands, the OV-Chipkaart (public transport chipcard) is valid on all public transport. The rule on busses is; if the checkin/checkout scanners do not work, you ride for free.
The last time we got a new bus company in Leiden (Arriva took over from Connexxion), not all busses where replaced with new ones; Arriva took over the Van Hool hybrid busses from Connexxion. But the change to Arriva was overnight, and Connexxion had taken out all their checkin/checkout scanners before handing over. I could take the bus for free for two weeks until Arriva was able to build in their own equipment :D
Actually I had such an experience in Paris few years ago where the barriers operate with paper tickets, the barriers often don't work at all. Now when the museum shut at 17:30 and hundreds of people got to Louvre metro station
Then you would really need those barriers. They would act as a valve preventing hundreds of passengers all entering the platfoms at once, creating dangerous situations (on stations with no platform egde doors, which are installed on the Paris metro on an increasing number of stations).
And also; when hundreds of people enter a station at the same time, a very high percentage of them probably tries to do so without a valid ticket ("it will be so busy, the chance of a conductor checking my ticket is near zero"), causing massive revenue loss.
So its basicly everyone jumping over them anyways of pushing them into emergency mode there.
At Rotterdam Central Station, they are using low gates (not the standard used high ones): http://treinenweb.nl/uploads/image/poor ... terdam.jpg
When they where first closed in 2015 (they only open when you check in or out with your OV-chipcard), reports came in people jumped over them. Security people started handing out some pretty heavy fines for anyone who did that (90 euro's for jumping over the gates, plus 35 euro's for not having a valid ticket, and another 90 euro's if you are rude to the person who gives you the fine). :D
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
MP 85

Post by MP 85 »

Sjoerd wrote: At Rotterdam Central Station, they are using low gates (not the standard used high ones):
When they where first closed in 2015 (they only open when you check in or out with your OV-chipcard), reports came in people jumped over them. Security people started handing out some pretty heavy fines for anyone who did that (90 euro's for jumping over the gates, plus 35 euro's for not having a valid ticket, and another 90 euro's if you are rude to the person who gives you the fine). :D
In Paris these are usually with high doors