Poll: Rijndam 2018 ex-freightyard connection

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

What would you like for the Bergenseweg railway connection?

Poll ended at 23 Apr 2017, 13:52

Leave it as it is; the rail connection is out of service, as the freight yard is no longer services by trains.
12%
Leave it as it is, but only as an optical closure (trains may pass through it; lets call it cheating).
16%
Open it up, and make it functional (in the CVL), for incidental use.
72%

Total votes: 25

MP 85

Re: Poll: Rijndam 2018 ex-freightyard connection

Post by MP 85 »

Sjoerd wrote: 21 May 2017, 19:32 That would be a nice experiment; all SG2's are now out of service; lets put one of them (if there are still non-museum non-demolished ones remaining) under NS overhead wires and try to start it up.... :D
There is no risk of tripping the circuit breaker ?
brozma

Post by brozma »

Sjoerd wrote: 21 May 2017, 19:32 That would be a nice experiment; all SG2's are now out of service; lets put one of them (if there are still non-museum non-demolished ones remaining) under NS overhead wires and try to start it up.... :D
Results of experiment: (Controller set in position 1.00) *BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM* (Traction motors failed and caught on fire) *BANG BANG* (light bulbs in front lights exploded) *BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BANG* (pneumatic compressor failed) *SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CLICK* (Failed pneumatic compressor tore off pneumatic pipe, causing air leak. Pantograph drops down because of low pressure and locked itself in retracted position)
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Let's just make a Mythbusters style experiment of it (could be quite a hit on youtube); start with scale models (using the full power outlet voltage (230V AC) on G-schale models which usually don't go above 24-26V DC (to make a good episode of it), and after that; the real thing. Afcourse on an out of the way location (like a freightbranch, or rarely used sidings), with firetrucks present for extra security, and a whole lot of camera's. :)
And to make it more usefull; install a lot of measuring equipment, for later analyses.

For those of you who are not familiar with the power; the Rotterdam metro system runs on 750V DC, and the railway system runs on 1500-1800V DC.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
brozma

Post by brozma »

Sjoerd wrote: 21 May 2017, 20:03 Let's just make a Mythbusters style experiment of it (could be quite a hit on youtube); start with scale models (using the full power outlet voltage (230V AC) on G-schale models which usually don't go above 24-26V DC (to make a good episode of it), and after that; the real thing. Afcourse on an out of the way location (like a freightbranch, or rarely used sidings), with firetrucks present for extra security, and a whole lot of camera's. :)
And to make it more usefull; install a lot of measuring equipment, for later analyses.

For those of you who are not familiar with the power; the Rotterdam metro system runs on 750V DC, and the railway system runs on 1500-1800V DC.
It's up to you. I don't want to travel from Prague into Rotterdam because of that ;)
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

Don't forget to upscale it to the freight yard next to the Waalhaven depot, those are electrified with 25.000 volts.
luka23

Post by luka23 »

Soooooooo, SG2's will be used for the hyperloop, which begins at Waalhaven?
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

Maybe we can use the spare parts, to make it hyperloop :D .