Frequently asked questions (Read before starting new topic!)

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Did the FAQ help you solve your problem?

Yes
66%
No, the methode did not work
17%
No, my problem is not mentioned
17%

Total votes: 41

Sjoerd

Re: Frequently asked questions (Read before starting new topic!)

Post by Sjoerd »

zbx1425 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 08:35
Ah, thanks! I'd like to know how the map data are stored, and how the rails and switches are defined.
For example, I have ever played and developed for a game called BVE Trainsim, which locates all the objects in the game according to a Main Rail(id:0) which the player's train can only travel on, and the decoration objects are placed in a way like this.
I also think the game maybe uses an absolute coordinate system to locate the objects. I want to know how exactly the game defines the rails, blocking sections, and switches.
Yes, I am familiar with BVE. It is the first trainsim game I ever had (versions BVE1 and BVE2, before MSTS was released) and build routes for. For example, I once took the "Suomi route", which was just one station long, and made it about ten times longer (with permission from the original builder of the first section of the route). Too bad; I can't find a screenshot of that anymore. But then again, it was about 20 years ago.

Indeed, the route could only be build in text format, wit CSV extension. I believe you had to place an object like this;
"Track km -> freeobj( objectnumber , X-coördinate , Y-coördinate , Z-coördinate , rotation )", with the XYZ being relative to the track km at the start of the line of coding.

When I think back of it; with that style of route building, I had a true "The Matrix" sensation; After building that code for multiple days in a row, I was looking at code lines, and I started to forget I was looking at coding; instead I saw the environment of the route in my mind. :D

Going back to metrosimulator: We now have an editor which looks about the same as the explore mode. Just with the added functions needed to build tracks and place objects. Take a look at this video made by Michiel in 2010: https://youtu.be/WLtxdSM4QZg?t=5m40s

Blocks for train detection and signalling are defined in a separate CVL-editor. After which, you have to place the block separators in the route-editor on the tracks and couple them with the CVL.
These block separators look like this in the network: http://www.valleysignals.org.nz/track/51-3.jpg
You even get a track joint sound when you pass them while driving. ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D