MetroSim Multiplayer

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Thanim1254

MetroSim Multiplayer

Post by Thanim1254 »

Anyone thought of multiplayer in this game?
Michiel
Site Admin

Re: MetroSim Multiplayer

Post by Michiel »

There is nothing that prevents multiplayer from being added except for time. The basics of synchronising the positions of all trains over the network is there already, but there is no interaction possible yet. At the moment, no time is being spend on it. Maybe after the next version I can spend time on it again, maybe not. One thing is for sure: it's not something that can be added over night.
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

In that case, I can't wait for multiplayer.
This is now a dead account.
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

Jeah, that is MetroSim off-topic, but you can get T:ANE or OpenRails (free!). They have Multiplayer and also Metro routes.

See, these games (Pay and Freeware) have a big group of people behind them. MetroSim is a totally private project. It does not even have a donate button. Michiel is woking on this game when he has time beside job or school (idk how old he is). When you make you LA Metro route, you would also be annoyed when someone keeps saying he wants this and that when you´re just doing it in you freetime... ;)
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
LosAngelesMetro56

MetroSimGermany wrote:
When you make you LA Metro route, you would also be annoyed when someone keeps saying he wants this and that when you´re just doing it in you freetime... ;)
:twisted:
Thanim1254

Post by Thanim1254 »

Just imagine you driving 50kph then suddenly another player comes crashing into you from behind.there will be a lot of funny moments
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Thanim1254 wrote:Just imagine you driving 50kph then suddenly another player comes crashing into you from behind.there will be a lot of funny moments
Let's set up a restriction then; when in multiplayer mode, let's make it impossible to turn off the ATB/ZUB train protection. No passing red signals, no crashes :D
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
LosAngelesMetro56

Sjoerd wrote:
Thanim1254 wrote:Just imagine you driving 50kph then suddenly another player comes crashing into you from behind.there will be a lot of funny moments
Let's set up a restriction then; when in multiplayer mode, let's make it impossible to turn off the ATB/ZUB train protection. No passing red signals, no crashes :D
:lol: Yes. However, it would be nice to have a station shut down, or train sharing one track in the area for that (lmfao) reason :lol:
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

Anyone ever searched for FSX or ETS multiplayer videos on YT? Lots of stupid kiddies obstructing other players... It´s like derailing in MSTS. It was never intended by the creators of the game, but many players installed the 999kmph mod and 150 wagon trains and just drove as fast as possible to the end of the route. Imangine that in online mode (actually possible with OR, but the superfast mod usually fails because wheelslip). Horrible! :evil:

So when ever making online mode it would be helpful to have a host priciple. The host sets the rules for the session (like if train protection can be disabled) and players who don´t follow the rules are suspended (maybe even timebanned) from the session.

And I have to admit, even I who is kinda serious with simulators (as long as they are not too overglitchy) did put a ICE train on a rollercoaster in trainz or performed jumping glitches in OMSI2, but I would never do that online. ;)
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

I agree; should the simulator get an online multiplayer function, then a moderator has to be present during sessions. A train traffic control manager, operating the CVL, with the authority to remove players who do not follow the rules, and if needed force a player's train into AI mode (incase a player is trolling other players by, for example, not moving out of a station and thereby blocking the tracks).

Personally, I have never used online multiplayer functions before, only offline multiplayers.
With games like racing games, flight simulators and strategy games (like OpenTTD), I can see the benefits of a multiplayer function (both online and offline). In racing games and strategy games you are competing with each other, and in Flight simulators you can do formation flying, air acrobatics, air combat, etc.
With train simulators, I do not see the advantage. Just like in reality, you do not really see what the other players are doing. You are still driving from A to B, following the signals and seeing other trains go by. How would it be different from only AI-controlled traffic? Perhaps you could communicate with the train control center (CVL), instead of creating a path yourself with the "RWI" command?

The only thing that I can see that would make it interesting is if each player has a webcam, and the images are displayed in the train that player is driving. That way, you can see the player in another metro you are passing by, and you can greet them just like real public transport drivers do (at least in the Netherlands). ;)

@Michiel: This creates a new idea, not directly multiplayer related; when activating a drivers cab (by the player or by the AI), not only activate the lights, but also make a 3D driver appear in the drivers seat :D
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D