Possibility of adding platform gates

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

mtrclub

Possibility of adding platform gates

Post by mtrclub »

I would like to ask is it possible to add the platform gates/ screen doors at the edge of platform?
Michiel
Site Admin

Re: Possibility of adding platform gates

Post by Michiel »

Unfortunately that would limit which rolling stock you can use, as the different stocks available does not have the doors aligned in the same way.
mtrclub

Post by mtrclub »

Michiel wrote:Unfortunately that would limit which rolling stock you can use, as the different stocks available does not have the doors aligned in the same way.
But in 2017 and 2020, only RSG3 and SG3 are in service. Is it possible to add platform gates after 2013?
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

That would rule out MG2/1 and SG2/1 being released, as well as the ability for people to make their own activities with MG2, SG2 and HSM.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

But it would open up some interesting possibilities for new routes ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

I not liking where this is going...
This is now a dead account.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

LosAngelesMetro56 wrote:I not liking where this is going...
I agree :roll:
I'm not here.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Well, I DO like the idea. Platform edge doors are apearing on a increasing number of metro systems. I personally first encountered them at the extended Jubilee line on the London Underground, and later at the automatic "Meteor" line 14 on the Paris metro. When I went back to Paris a few years later, they where installed on more lines.

In Metrosimulator, I would welcome the possibility to add these platform doors; it creates a challenge as a driver to stop at the exact location at stops, in order to line up with the platform doors. :P
Ofcourse, as Michiel said, this will limit the traintypes which you can use on that specific line. However, this is already the case on lines with ZUB train protection; the MG2, SG2, MG2/1 and SG2/1 metro's can't get there either. ;)

Should those platform doors become available in Metrosimulator, then I will make a route for it. I would probably start with a new branch line in the Rijndam network, just installing the platform doors at the new stations. :P

A few months ago, I was brainstorming with the platform doors as a possibility to use them on bus routes, after seeing this picture:

This would have the advantage of moving the check-in and check-out of the public transport chipcard (OV-Chipkaart) from the bus to the busstop, where you can use gates to prevent people from getting on the bus without checking in.

As I work a lot (professionally) with dynamic traffic simulation models, I made a small trial-simulation of the idea: https://youtu.be/isYLt4Eoxgg

It makes use of the dynamic traffic simulation program "Vissim". The platform doors are programmed to recognize the length of the bus in order to determine which doors should be opened.
In Metrosimulator this should also be possible; the train length is contained in the train number and is also shown on the DRIMs (in activities). This information could then be used to open the correct doors for each train length. ;)

In Paris, the platform doors can both be found at full height (floor to ceiling, on line 14), and at half-height (other lines):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... rs_(2).jpg
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
mtrclub

Post by mtrclub »

Sjoerd wrote:Well, I DO like the idea. Platform edge doors are apearing on a increasing number of metro systems. I personally first encountered them at the extended Jubilee line on the London Underground, and later at the automatic "Meteor" line 14 on the Paris metro. When I went back to Paris a few years later, they where installed on more lines.

In Metrosimulator, I would welcome the possibility to add these platform doors; it creates a challenge as a driver to stop at the exact location at stops, in order to line up with the platform doors. :P
Ofcourse, as Michiel said, this will limit the traintypes which you can use on that specific line. However, this is already the case on lines with ZUB train protection; the MG2, SG2, MG2/1 and SG2/1 metro's can't get there either. ;)

Should those platform doors become available in Metrosimulator, then I will make a route for it. I would probably start with a new branch line in the Rijndam network, just installing the platform doors at the new stations. :P
Yes, the platform edge gates could make the the game more challenging as driver has to stop at the exact location at stops. (This won't be a problem if you are using ATO)
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

When you are using ATO thats a really chilling train simulator... Just watch a cab ride video :D

I think the problem is, that first you need some kinda monitor to assist you with that since you can not really see the passenger door and if you stopped correctly. Aside from looking through the cabins wall, but thats cheating. :P
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)