Rijndam

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Re: Rijndam

Post by Sjoerd »

As you have noticed, last monday I have added a line to the Rijndam 2020 wiki page stating that, in 2020, the Airport Shuttleservice recieves new rolling stock. So far the Airport Shuttleservice has been using second hand SG2 units (5200 series) from the Rijndam metro network. But these where build in the period 1980-1984, so after 40 years of service, it is about time to replace them.
Replacing them with standard SG3 units would be too simple, and more importantly for the simulator; a bit boring, as that would mean the same rolling stock on every line in the network.

Therefore, it should be another special series of rolling stock, comparable to the introduction of the RijndamRail SG4 provided with Rijndam 2018 for the railway lines. The first idea was to use coupled 2-part metro's (based on the SG3), but that proved to be just a bit too long for the platforms (a few meters longer then 2xSG2, for which the platforms where build). The alternative was to use the RijndamRail SG4 as a basis; a single 4-part metro instead of 2 two-part metro's.
And to make it more interesting; apart from the different colourscheme (a recreation from the metro on the starting page of the Wiki), I have made some changes to the interior and the bogies as well.

In the interior, in the first and last carriage, the seats are placed along the sides of the carriage. This creates a more efficient exchange of passengers at stops, more standing room during peak periods, and it is very useful for an airport shuttleservice between the terminals and the parkinglots; more room to bring large bagage with you. Passengers preferring the traditional seating arrangement can use the middle carriages.
At both ends of the interior of all carriages, destination displays have been installed (I had some problems with this, but Senjer and Michiel both looked into it, and eventually, we found the solution. Thank you for your help!! :P ).
And of course; a list of the stations on this line is provided on the panels above the doors.

For the bogies; I have replaced them with bogies for the rubber tired system, as developed by Michelin and first introduced on the Paris metro system in the period 1951-1956. It is in use today on lines 1, 4, 6, 11 and 14, and also on metro systems in Lyon, Lille, Marseille, Montreal, Santiago, Mexico City, and Lausanne.
In this system, each bogie has four rubber tires for supporting the weight of the vehicle, four horizontal rubber tires for guidance, and four steel train wheels (directly behind the rubber supporting tires) for guidance in switches, on maintenance tracks (where there are no side beams for the horizontal guidance wheels), and emergency backup (for example; in case of a flat tire). During normal running, these steel wheels do not contact the steel rails in the middle of the tracks, as the rubber tires have a slightly larger diameter.

Here you can see this system in operation in Paris: https://youtu.be/CXOkCSXEL2I

As the steel rails in the middle of the tracks are standard gauge, the tracks can also be used by normal steel-wheels-on-steel-tracks rolling stock. In Paris, this functionality was used during conversion of already existing lines to the rubber tired system, including mixed services of normal and rubber tired rolling stock on the same line. Presently, normal (steel wheeled) rolling stock can occasionally still be seen on lines using the rubber tired system, but usually only for transfers of rolling stock between depots/workshops.

You can read more about the rubber tired system here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber-tyred_metro

And now for some screenshots (which you have probaly checked out first before reading the text above :lol: ).

There are two versions;

A traditional manned version, the MCV 9100 MP (MP = "Matériel Pneumatique", French for pneumatic rolling stock):

And a driverless (automatic) version, the MCV 9200 MP AT:

The interior of the 9200:

The Airport Shuttle service has been converted for the new system. This is also the main reason for the addition of the maintenance track at the depot; the rubber tired metro can be shunted short distances on normal tracks (using its steel backup wheels), but not to the other side of the network at normal running speeds.

NB. Just like the MCV 9000 "RijndamRail" SG4, these metro's are basically customized versions of the (R)SG3 rolling stock made by Michiel. I did not build a new metro myself, I just customized the existing one for route-specific purposes.
Last edited by Sjoerd on 02 May 2018, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Okay. These trains. Are. Cool.
Can’t you just send them to Michiel to release them as separate rolling stock? I want them in the simulator!

Just kidding… :lol:
I’ll wait for 3.12
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

If Michiel sees that, Idk what he will do with you.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Jim2016 wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 19:51 Okay. These trains. Are. Cool.
Love that reaction! :D

Apart from the train, you also need the tracks for them to run on (running this on normal tracks just isn't right ;) ). So you'll have to wait for the 3.12 release ;)
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Sjoerd wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 19:55 Apart from the train, you also need the tracks for them to run on (running this on normal tracks just isn't right ;) ). So you'll have to wait for the 3.12 release ;)
That's a reason to wait, as well.
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

I guess they're adapted from the 5500 series, so you can have the passenger view.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Adding the passengerview is a block of coding in the right files. These trains each have two passengerviews; one in the first cariage, and one in the second (one for both seating arrangements ;) ), accesable under the 6 and 7 keys.

And in the 9200, both cabview can be considdered extra passenger views :D
Last edited by Sjoerd on 02 Aug 2017, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
MP 85

Re : Rijndam

Post by MP 85 »

What a nice surprise ;) . The new rolling stock already pleases me. Good idea to have thought about the subway on tire.
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Sjoerd wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 20:03 Adding the passengerview is a block of coding in the right files. These trains each have two passengerviews; one in the first cariage, and one in the second (one for both seating arrangements ;) ), accesable under the 6 and 7 keys.

And in the 9200, both cabview can be considdered extra passenger views :D
That's good
luka23

Post by luka23 »

I just don't know what to think of the green/red combination...
Oh, and a dumb question, is the driverless version still operatable by the player or not?