Rijndam

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

MP 85

Re: Rijndam

Post by MP 85 »

I think I will soon have fun 8-) good job :)
MattH wrote:Can the RSG2 pick up ATB-EG signals?
The ZUB does not yet exist. Go traveling in the future to use it :P .
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

I have made a small change to the track layout on the Rijndam 1985 railway network; I have added a switch to make it possible to reach Rijndam Noorderpoort tracks 1 and 2 (701/702) for trains comming from Noordvliet/Rijnwoude/Panbos;
Attachments
Rijndam 1985 CVL Spoorlijnen.png
Rijndam 1985 CVL Spoorlijnen.png (40.76 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
MattH

Post by MattH »

How different is the area around Kettleplein in 1985?
(ie: are there a some cranes, houses being built)
I think it was a mostly industrial area until the 80s when a redevelopment plan was put into action,
and the Sneltram was built as a part of the redevelopment. (I know that it only went to Kettleplein in 1985)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

The Ketelplein area is mostly the same as you already know it. I just removed the tracks and viaduct beyond the station, and yes, a few buildings have been replaced bty building cranes. But not much.
Personally, I imagine this area to have been build in the early 70s (like the area where I live, which consists mostly of the same type of houses).
Ketelplein would have been at the edge of the city at that time, with the office buildings beyond it build later. In 1985, most of the offices will have been build, but the Sneltram line hasn't been extended yet. ;)
MP 85

Post by MP 85 »

Sjoerd wrote:I have made a small change to the track layout on the Rijndam 1985 railway network; I have added a switch to make it possible to reach Rijndam Noorderpoort tracks 1 and 2 (701/702) for trains comming from Noordvliet/Rijnwoude/Panbos;
I knew there was something missing 8-) :roll:
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

MP 85 wrote:I knew there was something missing 8-) :roll:
Originally, this was intentional; In the Netherlands, the company responsible for railway infrastructure (ProRail), is removing many switches in order to cut maintenance costs. Although; they keep selling it as "less switches means less delays due to malfunctions" :lol: (It used to be; connect (nearly) all platforms from all directions)
At the centre of the railway network, Utrecht Centraal, they have already done this. They removed all switches, and only brought back those that are absolutely needed for the current structure of train services.

In Rijndam 1985, keeping in line with 'no pointless switches' (for American readers; pun intended :D ), I left that particular connection out, as I did not think I would need it (train could still reach tracks 703 & 704). But in order to test the newly installed ATB-EG security, I had to make a timetable and an activity. I found out it could be usefull to make trains alternate between Rijndam Noorderpoort - Panbos and Rijndam Noorderpoort - Rijndam Airport, meaning trains arriving from Panbos would need to depart again towards the Airport.
Departing to Rijndam Airport from tracks 703/704 is possible, but that would mean no incoming other trains (at all) at the same time. Departure to the airport from tracks 701/702 is more efficient, as incoming trains to tracks 703/704 are then possible at the same time.
So I needed to be able to arrive from Panbos to tracks 701/702, and therefore needed that new switch connection. And at this station I am now back at "all platforms from all directions" :)
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

Sjoerd wrote: In Rijndam 1985, keeping in line with 'no pointless switches' (for American readers; pun intended :D ) :)
Never heard that pun before. :P

Edit: I already understand the pun :lol:
Last edited by LosAngelesMetro56 on 12 Apr 2017, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
This is now a dead account.
MattH

Post by MattH »

Do you have ideas when stuff was built?
I personally think it was built in this order:
Rijndam Noorderpoort - Panbos: late 19th or early 20th century
Rijndam Noorderpoort - Rijndam Airport: 1940-1950ish
Molenwijk - Brielselaan: 1968
Brielselaan - Station Westplein: 1970
Westpoort - Noorderpoort: 1978
Station Westplein - Kettelplein: 1984
Kettelplein - Monument: 1986-87
Station Westplein - Rijnland Hospital: 1988
City Loop Line Completed: 1994
Rijndam Airport Terminal 4 opens, and thus the Airport shuttle: 2006
Lines out of Rijndam Noorderpoort converted to be metro-like, and a bunch of stops open: 2006-07
Link tunnel from Rijndam Airport opens, and the Noorderpoort terminus is demolished,
during this time, trains from Panbos terminate at Nobelplein: 2009
Link tunnel for trains from Panbos opens, terminating at Nobelplein ends: 2010
Airport shuttle extended: 2017
Central Station - Transferium Rijndijk opens and Denia - Transferium Rijndijk converted: 2018
Again, this is what I think when stuff opened
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

Yeah, what is the timeline for Rijndam? That's important.
This is now a dead account.
MattH

Post by MattH »

The pun works in Commonwealth English as well (pointless switches ;)

also, why is there a thing on the cvl for terminating a s'Gravendijk if I can't get on the right track?