Rijndam

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

MetroSimGermany

Re: Rijndam

Post by MetroSimGermany »

I thought the long term goal of MetroSim is to recreate the network of Rotterdam better than that old MSTS route, so no official Utrecht tram I guess. Somewhen in the future it may be possible to create own trains, so not all chances are lost. ;)

I actually have multiple Ideas about what I could do for MetroSim... 8-)
-Nuremberg Metro
-Berlin U9 (I know someone who currently creates these stations for Trainz, so it could be imported into MetroSim when custom objects are possible)
-Bergen ByBanen (But actually a tram line and do to loss of trams and mountains it could not be recreated well. Also LosAngelesMetro56 wanted to make the first tram route)
-Tramburg S-Bahn (Fictional german S-Bahn/Metro in addition to my Trainz-project) *Completely overhead wire*
And while T-bane Oslo was an option as well, Rijndam has an similar layout and again, no mountains.

Also, post #99 from me :lol:
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

You know, my idea about a light rail is nothing like a tram. You guys say that light rails are like trams but that's not how we think here in the U.S. Almost all of our light rails are what you would probably call a Metro. Our light rails uses LRT cars that are way more similar to a SG2. Look up a Kinkisharyo P3010, or a Siemens P2000. We even use Siemens U2s. I'm just trying to clear that confusion.
This is now a dead account.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

LosAngelesMetro56 wrote:You know, my idea about a light rail is nothing like a tram. You guys say that light rails are like trams but that's not how we think here in the U.S. Almost all of our light rails are what you would probably call a Metro. Our light rails uses LRT cars that are way more similar to a SG2. Look up a Kinkisharyo P3010, or a Siemens P2000. We even use Siemens U2s. I'm just trying to clear that confusion.
In the Netherlands, "lightrail" is just a political / PR term. It does not refer to a specific type of vehicle. It is mostly used for situations where you have metro's or trams on (ex-mainline) Railway tracks.
For example the "RandstadRail" network between The Hague, Zoetermeer and Rotterdam. The lines from The Hague to Zoetermeer (with a 2-way loop through Zoetermeer) and The Hague to Rotterdam via Pijnacker used to be heavy Railway lines with normal passenger trains. These have been converted to "lightrail", meaning that from The Hague the trams from the The Hague tram network now use the line to Zoetermeer, and the metro's from Rotterdam use the line between The Hague and Rotterdam.
So, there is no specific vehicle we would call a "lightrail"; the vehicle is either a tram or a metro, dependant on the situation; when street-running, it is a tram (or sneltram/expresstram). When fully seperated from other traffic (tunnels/viaducts), especially when using 3rd rail, it is a metro.
The whole system (including tracks, stations and signalling) may be called lightrail.

In a short while, the line Schiedam - Hoek van Holland will also be downgraded from mainline Railway to Lightrail. This means they are going to make a connection at Schiedam with the Rotterdam metrosystem, and Metro's will use the line instead of trains. Ofcourse, they will call it Lightrail, and add a few extra stations along the line; a metro accelerates faster then a train and needs less time to stop. But the vehicles are metro's, of the SG3 type.

The term lightrail is used more and more in the political arena and in the media; it sounds more modern then "we are building a new tramline", which might help to reduce opposition to new projects.

By the way; the term lightrail is sometimes also confused with the term "lighttrain". Lighttrain is a term used for lightweight train types like the Dutch Railways "SLT" (Sprinter Light Train), intended to increase acceleration and maximum speed while reducing energy costs; http://www.railwaygazette.com/uploads/p ... ain-ns.jpg

But let's get back on topic (Rijndam); for lightrail/lighttrain/tram/metro discussions, please open a new topic if you want to discuss this further ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
LosAngelesMetro56

Can we get a glimpse at the CVL for the main D
depot?
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

LosAngelesMetro56 wrote:Can we get a glimpse at the CVL for the main D
depot?
Yes, ofcourse :)

There are more tracks on the south side of the depot, but those are outside CVL control (with manual switches).
Attachments
Depot Molenwijk.jpg
Depot Molenwijk.jpg (57.22 KiB) Viewed 6023 times
LosAngelesMetro56

Is there a car wash for the train?
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

No, there are no objects for that. Would be a good idea though :)
LosAngelesMetro56

Car washes are why LAM has a loop track in their yards.
Also, a loop track from A01 to A37? That would make it easier for train that is stuck in behind of another. What if that train was down and the trains behind need to get past?
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

LosAngelesMetro56 wrote:Also, a loop track from A01 to A37? That would make it easier for train that is stuck in behind of another. What if that train was down and the trains behind need to get past?
The tracks A08 through A13 have the option get out through the back (via tracks A37/A38). The switches take up a lot of space, and I didn't want to create an endless long depot. If there is a defective train, just use another one or a locomotive to shunt it to the maintenance tracks (A33-A36). Track A31 is specifically for shunting movements without leaving the depot.
This makes life a bit more interesting ;)
Or just take a metro from another track :D
LosAngelesMetro56

Time consuming...