Rijndam

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

MP 85

Re: Rijndam

Post by MP 85 »

senjer wrote: 22 May 2017, 20:35 In Rotterdam the warning lights are almost never used. The only reason they are on the trains is due to dutch law. The trains on the overhead parts are trams according to the dutch law. So blinkers and brake lights are needed.
ok, I understand. ;)
Sjoerd wrote: 22 May 2017, 20:58 I don't think I added SG2's reversed into consists, so this screenshot probably comes from either a 'home made' activity, or explore mode.
Explorer Mode ;)
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

Will we ever see reversed train sets anytime soon?
This is now a dead account.
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

In real life Rotterdam this was not possible as the wiring in the couplers were not symmetrical: they won't fit the other way around. So basically Rijndam is cheating by having a loop in the network, as the real life vehicles don't allow this.
LosAngelesMetro56

Michiel wrote: 23 May 2017, 16:17 In real life Rotterdam this was not possible as the wiring in the couplers were not symmetrical: they won't fit the other way around. So basically Rijndam is cheating by having a loop in the network, as the real life vehicles don't allow this.
Darn
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

I know what I'm talking about this time. So basically the cabins are staying on the same direction and not otherwise. For example cab A is going to Panbos and cab B goes to Molenwijk. The trams (streetcars)just have a cabin. Some have two cabins and two sets of doors.
These can do a loop, the metro don't (except London at Kennigton Station, but normally they don't). How do I know that? Pretty simple, learn. It's a lot faster if they have two cabins. No extra money to pay for a loop.
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

Cabs aren't free either though, vehicles with only one cab are cheaper, just as vehicles with doors on just one side. It's about finding the right balance between flexibility (can't drive on the wrong track if you have doors on one side only, and can't reverse if you have just one cab) and cost for infrastructure (turning radius for an RSG3 is 120 meters, so a loop takes a lot of space, unlike trams that have a radius of just 20-25 meters). In case of metro's, not having to make a 120 meter radius loop in the middle of a crowded city almost always wins. Except of course when you don't use nicely articulated vehicles so they do fit through a tight curve.
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

I don't understand why The Hague have two sets of doors and two cabins. Off-topic ik.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Michiel wrote: 23 May 2017, 16:41 Except of course when you don't use nicely articulated vehicles so they do fit through a tight curve.
That's why I abandoned my project of making a route based on the Detroit Peoplemover, after building just a few hundered metres of track; the turns proved to be too tight for the articulated RET rolling stock to handle.
(But in real life, those metro's, which operate as two coupled non-articulated cars per consist, don't have driving cabs at all as they are fully automated, and it is a single one-way loop line.)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
LosAngelesMetro56

If the SG2 was in America, it would be called a light rail. Basically any tram to Europe is considered a light rail vehicle.

How would Rijndam look if the loop area was actually built out as a city? ;)
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

RotterdamMetroLover wrote: 23 May 2017, 16:33 I know what I'm talking about this time. So basically the cabins are staying on the same direction and not otherwise. For example cab A is going to Panbos and cab B goes to Molenwijk. The trams (streetcars)just have a cabin. Some have two cabins and two sets of doors.
These can do a loop, the metro don't (except London at Kennigton Station, but normally they don't). How do I know that? Pretty simple, learn. It's a lot faster if they have two cabins. No extra money to pay for a loop.
Oh, besides London which actually uses the loop for turning the trains at the end of the line, theres other networks like Rijndam that have a big circle line loop in the middle which is also used by other lines that don't go all the way round. Take for example the T-bane in Oslo
We want to concentrate on the lines 4 and 5.
Line 5 is the circle line but after going one loop round it cuts out and shares a section with the line 4. If we would apply a "trains can only couple if they are aligned in the same direction" principle here we would run into a problem. Either the shared section of Lines 4 and 5 they match and can couple or they match on the circle, but no matter on which section they match, there were coupling issues on the other section. This means, if a train has a problem and can't continue driving on its own, the next train can not operate as a pusher if its of the other line, so a loco would have to come from the depot, other trains need to shunt out of the way and in the end the whole line section would be blocked for at least an hour.

To come back to our topic Rijndam:
Well in Rijndam the problem actually is more controllable as the lines M2 and M3 only share a 4 station section with each other on which trains could be differently aligned. If there is no event there is at max one M2 and one M3 train in that in each direction at a time, and depot Bergenseweg where a maintainance loco for rescuing trains could be kept is in reach.
In case of the failing train going towards Westplein beeing the first of the two trains, its really easy because the rescueing loco just has to go back and couple to the faulty train
In case of the failing train going towards Westplein beeing the second of the trains, the first train can clear the line so the rescue loco can get the faulty train.

The only problem can happen if the train is the first of two going towards the loop, because here the second train has to reverse out of the section first to make way for the rescue loco

With the Rijndam 2018 release and SG3 trains operating there soon, are they coupleable no matter the alignment?

Greets, Mika
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)