Rijndam

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

PacerLover23

Re: Rijndam

Post by PacerLover23 »

Kroneheit wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 11:38 Maybe you can make a Railway between Rijndam Centraal and Rijndam Airport! That would be nice!
Sjoerd wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 10:47 Now that both Senjer and I are working on Dutch locomotives (resp. the TRAXX and NS1700) and intercity carriages (resp. ICR and ICF), I think we are in need of a line to use them on.
Ofcourse; you can use them between Simvliet Central Station and Simvliet Haven, and on the RijndamRail service Molenwijk-Noordvliet, but those are built for local services with stations pretty close together. We need a bit more distance. So, I started building a new line in Rijndam.... :)

Yes, I know I have stated before that Rijndam has gotten too big already, but I couldn't stop myself :lol:
I am planning a Rijndam 2022 v1.3, to include the new line (and I'll keep is as easy as possible on your computers ;) ): The Airport Express Shuttleservice. An intercity trainservice between Rijndam Central Station and Rijndam Airport.
It's still a short run; if you do not stop at Rijndam Molenwijk, it takes you about 7 minutes. But this way, I avoided building a lot of new scenery or even another city to go to.

The concept will be a PPP-funded (Public-Private Partnership) new line to the airport, to relieve stress on line M4. Passengers can also take the faster train service, but ofcourse with a surcharge (for the faster service, and to get a bit of return on investment for building the line). This surcharge will be handled automatically by the chipcard-portals at the new airport trainstation (which is right next to the M4 station, but at a 90 degree angle).
The inspiration for this new line; Heathrow Airport both has the Piccadilly line and the (more expensive) Heathrow Express to take you into London.

The new line branches off the main line about a kilometer past Rijndam Molenwijk, curves to the left, and then goes in an almost straight line for the airport. The last bit is underground again, and this time I paid extra attention to the ceiling height, in order to get the overhead wires in (at 4,7 meters wire-height) so the heavyrail trains still fit. :D
At Rijndam Airport, the island platform in the new station is long enough for trains of 6 carriages in between 2 locomotives (on the screenshot above I used a 5-carriage train). Running with one locomotive is also possible; I have build switches to make it possible to shunt the locomotive to the other end of the train.
Most of the line has a speed limit of 140 km/h (the maximum speed ATB-EG will allow), but the last bit underground is limited to 80 km/h (due to a few curves I needed to build there).
He is doing it already
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

PacerLover23 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 18:04 Adding on to the disused tram platforms , Why don't you turn it into another branch of T3 and extend M5 to central station or peak hours to Molenwijk
Through services of M5 to Central Station are featured in Rijndam 2018.

Adding direct services between multiple lines is not very efficient; if would mean you need the same frequencies on all lines, and it is hard to keep regular intervals between trains; you may run to Central Station exactly in between two M4 services, but on your way to Molenwijk, you would then end up on a track which is used by M2 and M3. IF you happen to arrive at a time at which the platform track is available (as no M2 or M3 is there at that moment), you then face the next problem; fitting in between to M1 services to Molenwijk. And not directly behind or in front of an M1 train, as that would be in-efficient (resulting in the first train being full, requiring more time at stops, and the second one nearly empty, requiring less time at stops and therefore constantly being directly behind the first one).
In complex metro systems, you should avoid doing this; rather increase frequency on individual lines then mixing lines. Then you also avoid that an interruption in services on one line will stall out the entire system.
And running M2 and M3 together... I guess you could see it as a single line that branches off in two directions for the last few stations.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
PacerLover23

Post by PacerLover23 »

Sjoerd wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 18:21
PacerLover23 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 18:04 Adding on to the disused tram platforms , Why don't you turn it into another branch of T3 and extend M5 to central station or peak hours to Molenwijk
Through services of M5 to Central Station are featured in Rijndam 2018.

Adding direct services between multiple lines is not very efficient; if would mean you need the same frequencies on all lines, and it is hard to keep regular intervals between trains; you may run to Central Station exactly in between two M4 services, but on your way to Molenwijk, you would then end up on a track which is used by M2 and M3. IF you happen to arrive at a time at which the platform track is available (as no M2 or M3 is there at that moment), you then face the next problem; fitting in between to M1 services to Molenwijk. And not directly behind or in front of an M1 train, as that would be in-efficient (resulting in the first train being full, requiring more time at stops, and the second one nearly empty, requiring less time at stops and therefore constantly being directly behind the first one).
In complex metro systems, you should avoid doing this; rather increase frequency on individual lines then mixing lines. Then you also avoid that an interruption in services on one line will stall out the entire system.
And running M2 and M3 together... I guess you could see it as a single line that branches off in two directions for the last few stations.
Ok so what about introducing a peak hour T3 Service to Transferium Rijndijk
PacerLover23

Post by PacerLover23 »

a bit like westpoort on M1
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

PacerLover23 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 22:16 Ok so what about introducing a peak hour T3 Service to Transferium Rijndijk
A single track line, with already two 4x/hour lines on it.... More won't function there. Not when you want to keep a regular service....
There is the time-path diagram I made when I put the timetable together. Blue for M5, red for T3 (which continues on it's own line from Westwoud towards the city:
Attachments
Tijdweg.png
Tijdweg.png (21.91 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
PacerLover23

Post by PacerLover23 »

ok i understand and thanks for atchually listening
PacerLover23

Post by PacerLover23 »

Ok here is a more sensible surgestion, extend the Zuid ranstard rail service to the airport and mabe add a station on the branch but have the platforms on loops to allow the express to pass a local service if needs be in other cases add a Heathrow connect style service also if possibless introduce this service frequencyou on the serviedge 2tph Zuid to airport slow and extend every other noodvilert serviceto the airport
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

If you want to extend the RijndamRail service, you can do that yourself by designing a timetable / train-circulation, and build a new activity ;)
I am not adding another station along the way; it's a few kilometers where you can finally make some speed (140 km/h) between stations :D, and I didn't build towns or something like that along the way. Yes, you pass the offices around the airport's parking lot sites, but they already have their own airport metro-line, and it's in the last two kilometers of the line.
Last edited by Sjoerd on 20 Nov 2018, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Speed >:) :D *Grabs his HSM*
Usually found in the 1700 and the 186 043/186 122
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

Would it be possible to add a little hut on a mainline at a small stabling site? Like this one as an example: http://michaelminn.net/railroads/system ... rected.jpg

A service platform for switching drivers between their shifts
This is now a dead account.