Screenshots & Videos

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

LosAngelesMetro56

Re: Screenshots & Videos

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

JeffT wrote: The rear and head lights are always battery powered om metro trains (I think). Sow it will still shine if you don't have power to the train.
:)
To me, that seems like you left your car lights on wasting the car batteries. Then you can't drive because you have no power. Most city metros turns of their lights when "sleeping"
This is now a dead account.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

There is still the 3rd rail; you are not powerless in the depot :D
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

This supports the theory that Metros are actually kind of Dolphins. They are smart, have security systems and don't close their eyes when sleeping.

In Berlin the lights are left on when parking in a "Kehrbereich"; you might know it as "Keerspoor" (i don't know the english word for it). On the Depot thei're turned off usually.

Greets, Mika
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

In the past in Spijkenisse the old SG2 trains were making too much noise when parked at the tailtracks behind the last station at night (which was right next to some buildings) so they were all coupled together against the buffer stop, connecting the air hoses with a compressor below the tracks that was more silent then the ones from the trains themselves. This way the air pressure of the trains was preserved during the night, as these trains were always leaking air and without a compressor to resupply it the third rail shoes would drop after a couple of hours, leaving the train dead without power.

The modern trains are no longer relying on air pressure to keep the third rail shoes up, and they have an emergency battery to reboot themselves in case the main battery is dead, so this is no longer being done these days.
luka23

Post by luka23 »

^That's interesting, never heard of that before! What period are we talking about?
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

The extension was opened in 2002, and somewhere in 2013 they replaced the buffer stops with air supply with standard ones since the old trains were no longer being parked there, so it cannot have been for longer then 10 years. If you go to 51.8321923,4.3120623 in Google Earth and change the date of the map to 31-10-2007 you will see a couple of SG2 cars standing very tightly against the buffer stops.
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

MetroSimGermany wrote:

In Berlin the lights are left on when parking in a "Kehrbereich"; you might know it as "Keerspoor" (i don't know the english word for it).

Greets, Mika
Tail track, or siding?
This is now a dead account.
JeffT

Post by JeffT »

MetroSimGermany wrote:This supports the theory that Metros are actually kind of Dolphins. They are smart, have security systems and don't close their eyes when sleeping.
That was a good one!
:D
Michiel wrote:In the past in Spijkenisse the old SG2 trains were making too much noise when parked at the tailtracks behind the last station at night (which was right next to some buildings) so they were all coupled together against the buffer stop, connecting the air hoses with a compressor below the tracks that was more silent then the ones from the trains themselves. This way the air pressure of the trains was preserved during the night, as these trains were always leaking air and without a compressor to resupply it the third rail shoes would drop after a couple of hours, leaving the train dead without power.

The modern trains are no longer relying on air pressure to keep the third rail shoes up, and they have an emergency battery to reboot themselves in case the main battery is dead, so this is no longer being done these days.
Is that the reason why there are special buffer stops at the train yard in Emplacement Springstraat?
Currently running Metro Simulator Beta on NVIDIA GeForce GT1030 2GB grafic card.
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

I also saw some trains parked against the buffer in Oostpark. Took me some time to realise, why I can not drive my train away :D

@LAMetro56: Yep, tail tracks and sidings. Thats the words I searched for... :roll:

Greets, Mika
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

LosAngelesMetro56 wrote: To me, that seems like you left your car lights on wasting the car batteries. Then you can't drive because you have no power. Most city metros turns of their lights when "sleeping"
In The Hague (NL) they also park their rolling stock with the lights still on.
Here a few pictures of the recently opened open-air depot "Meppelweg": http://www.digitaletram.nl/actueel/actueel.htm#2017046
I do not know for sure, but they may even keep the heating running (on a low level) to prevent startup problems in the morning. ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D