Possible Windows versions?

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Michiel
Site Admin

Re: Possible Windows versions?

Post by Michiel »

Actually , and . are the official keys, just like the official buzzer key is `. So maybe the guide is a bit confusing, on the most common keyboard layouts the < and , are the same key and the < symbol is bigger, so it's easy to confuse it as the 'main' key, while in fact you need to press shift to get < and , is default.
Annika

Post by Annika »

It was confusing, really. For us even more confusing, because
-we did not know that "some other keyboard" is expected than what we use (meaning that we thought that the drive forward-functionality is combined with the key > and not the key's place on the keyboard...so that every user chooses the > sign from their own keyboards wherever that is in their keyboard, you know)
-our keyboard does not have any connection between . and > or , and < . If you use shift +, -> you'll get here ;
and if you use sfift + . ->you'll get :
Koppara

Post by Koppara »

I would love to translate, but Senjer is not giving the English version of Readme, that me and miloso could translate it.. :P
Koppara

Post by Koppara »

Last edited by Koppara on 04 Feb 2015, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Annika

Post by Annika »

Koppara, behind that link you sent was a picture of exact similar keyboard to that what we have.
Drive forward (should be > ) is on the row above the space key, the second key from the right-side Shift key ( . )
Use breaks (should be < ) is likewise on the row above the space key, the third key from the right-side Shift key ( , )

Can we do anything to change our keyboard settings somewhere, so that it would be possible to follow the written MetroSimulator instructions?
Annika

Post by Annika »

Ps Whenever you do the translation, if you need any help afterwards in checking the grammar or "just another person reading the Finnish text to get it better" please let me know. Maybe I could help there, too, checking that the text will be understandable for someone who has not been playing with the simulator for months /years.
Koppara

Post by Koppara »

Sure I will! I don't know is there any programs that can modify the commands of keyboard, as I have heard you will probably be able to change them in beta 3.9 when it comes. I know, it's so hard to get used to the controlles in the beginning.
Annika

Post by Annika »

Ok, we'll wait for 3.9 and hope that meanwhile, this discussion helps someone else, too. I am sure we'll get used and feel soon comfortable using any keys needed to control the activities, we just have to find the right combinations at first. And this is a good start that the reason for our problems is solved. We'll keep in touch! Thank you guys or girls for your kind help. kinkisharyo, only for you in Finnish (so that you can use your translator): Kiitos! :D
kinkisharyo

Post by kinkisharyo »

Annika,I'm really sorry by messing up <> and ,. (I really forgot about there are other keyboard rather than QWERTY)
I hope your son enjoy the simulator
Annika

Post by Annika »

kinkisharyo wrote:Annika,I'm really sorry by messing up <> and ,. (I really forgot about there are other keyboard rather than QWERTY)
I hope your son enjoy the simulator
It's OK! We use QWERTY, the letter characters are in the same place, but the characters for punctuation are in different places in different language areas like in our Nordic layout. My son has been able to tell the difference between different kind of metro models from distance, only by hearing their sound, since he was 3-4 years old. He is going to love the simulator, - and what I like very much, that playing with it gives many other skills too, computing and language skills, planning and coordinating skills and strengthening his understanding of geographical distances and schedules among others.