Possible Windows versions?

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Annika

Possible Windows versions?

Post by Annika »

Hi, my son, who soon will be 10 years, is going to get as a birthday present his first computer. He wants to get this MetroSimulator installed on it and I assume that we would download the latest beta version which is available. Which Windows versions this simulator can be run on? We were planning on Windows 8.1, which might be upgraded to Windows 10 during the summer, but it is his wish that the Windows version is chosen according to the simulator's needs. Which Windows versions are possible and which one do you recommend? Thank you already beforehand for this information!
ECRice

Re: Possible Windows versions?

Post by ECRice »

Both work. There is no "better version" to run it on, as both 8.1 and 10 will run it just fine. Windows 10 is not out yet, so I suggest you get Windows 8.1 for now and get the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it is released.
senjer

Post by senjer »

Windows 7/8 and 8.1 will work fine with this beta version. Windows 10 isn't officially out yet so there is no support until it's officially released by Microsoft.

One other thing is the graphics card, for this beta version there are some problems with the AMD graphics cards. Until the new engine comes out the Nvidia graphic card is recommended.
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

And if you want to be able to run the future versions, take at least a GeForce 400 series card or later, older series will no longer be supported starting with beta 4. And don't get the cheapest model, the 460 should probably be enough for a cheap videocard, cards like the 510 have so little processing power that they will not achieve any decent framerate.
Annika

Post by Annika »

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate this. The graphics card is this: GeForce GTX 750 Ti StormX Dual, 2GB DDR5, Mini-HDMI. Hope it is ok.
hell12

Post by hell12 »

Annika wrote:Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate this. The graphics card is this: GeForce GTX 750 Ti StormX Dual, 2GB DDR5, Mini-HDMI. Hope it is ok.
Thats a great card. you can also go for the GTX 960
pc specs:
Intel I7 4790K @ 4.7GHz
Gskill Trident 16GB 1866MHz
EVGA GTX1080ti SC Black Edition
Samsung 950 PRO 512gb
Koppara

Post by Koppara »

The GTX 750 Ti is good enough to run max settings in with this game, but it needs also a semi good processor, and few gigs of RAM, that the game doesn't crash while playing.
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

The 750 Ti has about as same processing power as my videocard, so at least for the moment should be sufficient enough. It is a card in the mid-range class, it's not very powerful (it has about a quarter of the processing power the 780 Ti has) but I don't expect the simulator to hit that power requirement anytime soon, and even when it would it would only be on maximum quality level at resolutions higher then Full HD that you would need that power (the required processing power increases rapidly with the screen resolution you are using).
Annika

Post by Annika »

We installed Windows 7 today, because it is the Windows version which my son is using at school, - and because it does not matter if you upgrade later on to Windows 10 from version 7 or 8. Now, wish me luck with te Metro simulator installation, I really would like to make my kid happy.

Thank you for your comments about the graphic card.
Koppara wrote:The GTX 750 Ti is good enough to run max settings in with this game, but it needs also a semi good processor, and few gigs of RAM, that the game doesn't crash while playing.
What are the exact requirements for RAM, how much do we need? We have at the moment 8 gigabytes,is that OK?
hell12

Post by hell12 »

Michiel wrote:It is a card in the mid-range class, it's not very powerful (it has about a quarter of the processing power the 780 Ti has) but I don't expect the simulator to hit that power requirement anytime soon, and even when it would it would only be on maximum quality level at resolutions higher then Full HD that you would need that power (the required processing power increases rapidly with the screen resolution you are using).
If want to try it, I can help you with that
Last edited by hell12 on 29 Jan 2015, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
pc specs:
Intel I7 4790K @ 4.7GHz
Gskill Trident 16GB 1866MHz
EVGA GTX1080ti SC Black Edition
Samsung 950 PRO 512gb