How flat wheels make that clicking sound?

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

brozma

How flat wheels make that clicking sound?

Post by brozma »

Hello everyone, one day I got flat wheels and that clicking sound started, but I said to myself: How flat wheels make that clicking sound and how is flat wheels being fixed in real life? I know how to cause it and what's hapening with wheels if they're flat.

Brozma
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
metroverslaafde

Re: How flat wheels make that clicking sound?

Post by metroverslaafde »

Everytime the flat side hits the track it sais boom and you know that several wheels at the time can get flat so when they are turning the flat side hit the track very often so thats how it makes the clicking sound. Most of the time the wheels will be replaced or reconditioned i think
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

Flat wheels are the result of friction, when the wheels are not rotating or not rotating at the same speed as the train moves the friction between the wheel and the rail causes the wheel to heat up, and with the amount of energy involves with a heavy train this will heat up the wheels so much their shape changed slightly. The sound you hear is a small bump every time the wheel rotates so the flat side is at the bottom, the train will slightly drop down and lift up again, only little but again with the weight of a train a tiny bit is enough to notice it.

Fixing a flat wheel is done by grinding it until it's round again, basically if the wheel was supposed to have a radius of 400mm, and there is a flat spot at which it's only 399mm, just grind the whole wheel until it's 399mm. This can be done numerous times, until the minimum wheel radius has been reached, in which case the wheels will have to be replaced. Typically trainwheels consist of two parts, the wheel itself and the steel tire, so only this tire has to be replaced once the minimum radius has been reached. I believe in Rotterdam they simply replace the wheels once they are to flat, and the old wheels are then fitted with new tires in the central depot, so the metro's do not keep the same wheels during their lifetime, but they are swapped to allow them to get back into service quicker.
Clement lee

Post by Clement lee »

Yes you will get flat wheels when you put the brakes to 2.00 on Bombardier Trains or -8.00 on the SG2 and RSG2 Sets with Pantograph up.
nstomjanssen2000

Post by nstomjanssen2000 »

Clement lee wrote:Yes you will get flat wheels when you put the brakes to 2.00 on Bombardier Trains or -8.00 on the SG2 and RSG2 Sets with Pantograph up.
On SG2 too with pantograph down, or it''s an error in the game.
Met hoogachtende groet, prof. dr. in. mr. Duymsuych, gepromoveerd in de Slag om de Coeck. Hierin sneuvelden 66 chocoladekoekjes, 72 speculaasjes, 101 stroopwafels, 145 ... [Dit relaas is onderbroken wegens het gebrek aan nut ervan.]
metroverslaafde

with panto down the -8.00 brake does not cause flat wheels beacause the emergency has not got as much force as the -8.00 with panto up

When you hit shift+/ and then the / you can have flatwheels in pantodown mode.
Clement lee

Post by Clement lee »

That won't work if you hit -8.00 on Third Rail you won't have flat wheels.
metroverslaafde

It will of you press shift and / you hear a buzzer and then hit / i am shure they will be flat
Clement lee

Post by Clement lee »

is not Working, is you press shift and / and you hear the buzzer sound and I hit / still the brake pressure at step 7.00 and no flat wheel.
metroverslaafde

Are you using the type m? That won't go any further than -7.00