Funicular Railway

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Funicular Railway

Post by Sjoerd »

This is the release of the Ferrocarril Funicular / Funicular Railway.

The package contains a Funicular railway for Metrosimulator, includig rolling stock.
It is a 550 meter long single track funicular with 3 stations (the middle station being the location where the vehicles pass each other). The line is fictional, but is inpired by Spain (due to the current global crises.... I'm forced to enjoy vacation by simulation :D ).

REQUIRED AT LEAST:
-> Metrosimulator version 3.15 (or higher)

INSTALLATION:
1) Download: https://filehorst.de/d/dfAJqwAj
2) Unpack Funicular.zip
3) Copy the files Funicular.000 and the Data folder to the folder on your computer where "Simulator.exe" is located.
4) Start the simulator, pick a scenario, and click "activity".

OPERATION IN METROSIMULATOR
Start the simulation with one of the activities. The Funicular trains can not be added in Explore mode.
However, as there is no AI on this map, from there it will pretty much be like explore mode (the trains will not automatically activate).

The line can be operated from both ends of both trains. As the trains are connected by the cable, you are operating both trains simulatiously.

This also means; if you do not plan to stop at the middle station, you can also operate the line by activating one cab, go to free camera mode (9), and drive the trains while staying at one of the end stations yourself; when you brake as the second train comes into the station where you are, you can be sure the first train is doing the same at the other end. ;)

Lights:
The external lights work a bit different then on other Metrosimulator trains; as the headlights of the other train also need to be activated,
they are not connected to the cab on/off setting (as then the headlights would only work on your own train), but to the turnsignal controls instead.

To activate/deactivate the headlights in the direction of travel, press [ (left turnsignal).
To activate/deactivate the headlights on the other side, press ] (right turnsignal)
To activate/deactivate the headlights on both sides, press \.

AI:
The AI does not work for this line. You have to drive yourself.

Speed:
The maximum allowed speed is 25 km/h, and the motors are limited to this speed. However; the bottom half of the line has a higher gradient then the top half of the line, so when one of the vehicles is decending over the bottom half, both vehicles tend to speed up. Keep your speed under controll!

This will also cause the vehicles to start to roll when you activate your cab at the end stations (as the lower vehcile is on a steeper incline then
the top vehicle, and they are connected). So when activating your train, immediately apply the brakes before doing anything else!

Trains:
There are two train variants available; The first has more passenger doors, the second allows more passengers to sit down.

Metrosimulator Wiki:
http://sim.bemined.nl/wiki/Funicular_Railway

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicular
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... r_railways
Last edited by Sjoerd on 16 May 2020, 16:54, edited 3 times in total.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Nicolas

Re: Funicular Railway

Post by Nicolas »

This must be a first for train simulation, a funicular railway. Great to have!
zandoodle

Post by zandoodle »

Nice funicular railway, it even has the correct wheel flanges and a working cable
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Those are just about the most important details of a funicular railway; I wasn't going to get those wrong :D
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Now that cable operation is possible, do you think it would be possible to make a cable-hauled Glasgow Subway? Just an idea.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

That's a totally different kind of system; that would be a continues moving cable at a steady speed, and the cars attaching or releasing the cable in order to drive or stop. That's not possible in the simulator.
perfecttrains1000

Post by perfecttrains1000 »

Omg, this is amazing well done :D
- Likes London Underground
- Somehow relates anything to trains
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

What did I miss? :shock:
Attachments
E. E..png
E. E..png (262.39 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
perfecttrains1000

Post by perfecttrains1000 »

"The funicular trains can not be added in Explore mode."

That doesn't stop me Spawning it in an activity :lol:
Somewhere in Station Westplein
Somewhere in Station Westplein
Annotation 2020-05-16 213537.jpg (195.5 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
Somewhere past Station Westplein
Somewhere past Station Westplein
Annotation 2020-05-16 213538.jpg (158.47 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
- Likes London Underground
- Somehow relates anything to trains
brozma

Post by brozma »

Wow! You surprised me. I never expected a funicular in metrosim. I thought it's impossible. But I was wrong.

Anyway, do you know, that in Prague is also funicular railway aswell? It runs from Malá strana district (from the base of the Petřín hill) to the top of the Petřín hill. The purpose is to ease the access to the top of the Petřín hill, where are many of the touristic atrractions, like Petřín lookout tower (I was there and it's a nice view from it), mirror maze (I also visited it, and when I was inside the maze, I was so confused, that I lost orientation, felt dizzy and bumped into mirror walls many times) or Hunger wall, which has pretty good legend about it's purpose of construction. The Petřín hill is actually pretty small, around 327 meters above sea level, but it's gradient is pretty steep, so if you climb up Petřín hill by yourself using walkways in parks, it's pretty exhausting, so that's why the funicular was built.

The funicular in Prague also has three stations like this one. First station (taken from bottom) is called Újezd (possibly named after neighboring tram station with same name). Second station in the middle of the funicular is called Nebozízek (named after Nebozízek garden in close proximity of the station). The third and last station is called Petřín (named after the hill itself).

@perfecttrains1000: XD ROFL LOL, pretty clever. Gotta try it myself.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English