Funicular Railway

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Re: Funicular Railway

Post by Sjoerd »

brozma wrote: 16 May 2020, 21:17 Anyway, do you know, that in Prague is also funicular railway aswell? It runs from Malá strana district (from the base of the Petřín hill) to the top of the Petřín hill.
I just looked at it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpRFspwxepI -> They should move that middle station; by placing it just above the passing point, the vehicles now have to stop twice, of which one time in the middle of nowhere (while the other vehicle is at the middle station).
If they move the middle station by just a small distance, they can have it at the passing point, and both vehicles can be there at the same time, eliminating pointless stops :D
Or are they actually planning a second middle station, and just haven't gotten around to building the platform yet? The trains already stop there (at 9:20 in the video) :lol:
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
brozma

Post by brozma »

Well, the reason, why is middle station placed like this, is historical. In early stages, the funicular had only two stations. The middle station was actually the final one. In the early 30's, the funicular was extended to it's present form and was remodelled incl. propulsion mechanism. In early stages (late 19th century) the funicular was clearly mechanically. The vehicle at the top had a water tank placed in it, which was filled up at the top station and emptied at bottom stattion, when top vehicle had it full, it was heavier than the bottom one, and rolled down by gravity. The bottom vehicle was pulled up by a rope connected to another vehicle. After that it was replaced by electric winch mechanism.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

I really like the way it works, like the cable at the tracks is a train as well :D
(Edit: and as I imagined there's a loop at the end)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Yes, a train consisting of 330 sections :D
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

So that explains why I cannot easily switch between the two cars, they are actually part of the same entity. Interesting.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

You can switch between them very easily; just click on the controlpanel of the car, or on the ends of the icons in the bottom of your screen. Just like with any other train in the simulator. ;)
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Ctrl arrow(up or down) works too
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
JeffT

Post by JeffT »

Excellent work Sjoerd!

:D
Currently running Metro Simulator Beta on NVIDIA GeForce GT1030 2GB grafic card.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

perfecttrains1000 wrote: 16 May 2020, 19:04 Omg, this is amazing well done :D
JeffT wrote: 17 May 2020, 07:08 Excellent work Sjoerd!:D
Piccadilly wrote: 17 May 2020, 13:23 Great to see something different in the sim! Excellent work!
Thanks! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Sjoerd on 17 May 2020, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Piccadilly

Post by Piccadilly »

Great to see something different in the sim! Excellent work!