Does AI mode re-enable all forms of protection?

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Nicolas

Does AI mode re-enable all forms of protection?

Post by Nicolas »

I have another question. I've noticed that if you have ATP disabled and enter AI mode, ATP will be enabled again and will continue to be even if AI mode is disabled. But I wonder if the same happens with the pantograph protection. It would be helpful if there was a way to know on screen which types of protection are currently enabled. I like to disable ATP and panto protection for a more engaging experience.
Sjoerd

Re: Does AI mode re-enable all forms of protection?

Post by Sjoerd »

It's on by default. So if you switch it off, then you know it is off. Yes, the AI will switch it back on, as it really isn't supposed to be off (so it you turn over your train to the artificial intelligence... it's intelligent enough to re-engage all those things). :D

Some railway companies actually put a seal on the switch in the cab that can disable the ATP system. In order to disable the ATP, that seal must be broken. So if a driver returns with a broken seal, and there is no record of a permission for that, that driver has some serious explaining to do. ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

In the real life version of the RSG3 vehicles, the button to override the ATP is hidden behind a metal cover you need to rotate away. And after you press it, you need a key to reset it, which drivers will most likely not have. So there is no accidental pressing of the button and neither erasing evidence of having pressed it.

In the simulator it's less strict mainly because certain overrides are not implemented (in real life I believe the traffic controller can temporarily disable the 0 absolute signal so you can pass the section at 20km/u). You should not be using it by default though.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I understand the reasons for wanting to lock out manual driving in real life, but in this game I'm more entertained by doing things myself. Unless I'm really tired and just want to see trains go by. ;)
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

Train protection does not prevent manual driving, if you drive well (stay within the speed limit and don't run red lights) you won't even notice the ATP system is active ;)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I don't really like the way it slows down the train when approaching a red signal under ATB. I would rather slow down more gradually and don't have to crawl half of the platform at 10km/h, even if that is the realistic way. Plus it helps me improve my own braking and stopping at the correct points.