Concepts

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sgt_DeBones

Concepts

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

So we are gonna try this again without any ignorance (Stop asking for the editor). So here's a very simple layout. MS Paint sucks but this is the best I can do with such a bad program. :lol: Feel free to criticize and ask questions! Also, please recommend me a better program to use.

The station uses a high platform so metro/light rail stock such as the SG2 can stop here. The station platform is about 90 meters long so 3 car SG2 and 2 car SG3s can fit here.
Attachments
Simple_Transit_Center.png
Simple_Transit_Center.png (15.17 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
Last edited by Sgt_DeBones on 08 Apr 2020, 18:13, edited 2 times in total.
Light Rail rapid transit (Tram-train) > Metro
Sjoerd

Re: Layout Ideas

Post by Sjoerd »

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 23:15 MS Paint sucks :lol: Feel free to criticize and ask questions!
Just to let you know; I make ALL my textures using MS Paint ;)

On your map (Some tips from someone who's worked on real bus/tram stations before ;) ); Add a railway platform on the busstation-side; that way, not all railway passengers have to cross te tracks to get to/from the island platform.

Also, arriving busses probably first stop at an arrivals-platform, where most/all passengers get off the bus (this will be roughly where the busses enter the busstation). These passengers will need a safe route from there to the railway platforms.
The bus will then either continue to one of the 4 departing platforms, or it will need to park somewhere (for example; if the next departuretime is >10min away, and/or the driver goes on break) for a while. Both options should be easily accesible from the arrivals-platform to avoid unneccesary driving around too much. ;)

And a pretty good thing; in your design, all busses on the 4 departing platforms face the same way. So if you are in the waiting area opposite the platforms, you can see the destinations on the front of all busses at the same time and easily find your bus. In Dutch busstation design, we call that the "Visgraat model" ("fishbone model"). ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

This is how the original topic should have went. Thanks. I'll take that into consideration. However, the mainline services that passes through here I plan to be Amtrak and UP (for an American concept route, otherwise daily NS intercity with 3 freights a week). The station is located in the suburbs of a major city. So I won't put a mainline station but I will actually completely redesign the bus station to be more direct with the inward turnout design such as this: Image but way smaller, one way and on the side near the mainline tracks.
The base station design is based from Artesia station off of LA Metro's Blue Line (now called the A Line) and UP's Wilmington Subdivision:
https://subwaynut.com/california/la_met ... tesia9.jpg

This design is for one of my made up cities I've recently created based off the American cities of Salt Lake UT, Seattle WA, Portland OR, and San Jose CA with small features from Los Angeles CA such as this design.

The crossing signals I planned on using were NA based, the very same models I linked a while back.

I have several extremely better designed transit centers and bus station designs physically on paper if you'd like to see that. They're for an HO scale project I'm working on.

Also for those who want to share your own ideas, feel free to do so.

Edit 9pm PST: New update. Layovers and drop offs are before the bus bays (at the bottom). Honestly, I should have made the bus bays smaller so it's properly scaled.
Attachments
Simple_Transit_Center_MKII.png
Simple_Transit_Center_MKII.png (29.17 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
iamhankhamTS

Post by iamhankhamTS »

That would be cool if we had a bit of a Harrow on the Hill but overkill it! :lol: :lol:
Black = Platform
Green = National Rail
Light Purple = Metro
Dark Purple = Joint Metro/Rail
National Rail and Metro Crossover
National Rail and Metro Crossover
National Rail Crossing.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
This is similar to the Metropolitan line and Chiltern Rail in London but I would make the National Rail flyover after the station.

Also...
Sgt_DeBones wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 23:15 Also, please recommend me a better program to use.
paint.net ;)
Formerly iamhankhamTS but now Coastway Will on the internet - The forum just doesn't allow name changes :lol: :lol:
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Here i am thinking about a train that shares tracks with a tram. I want to realise that one day 😇
Usually found in the 1700 and the 186 043/186 122
iamhankhamTS

Post by iamhankhamTS »

RetMetrofan wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 15:51 Here i am thinking about a train that shares tracks with a tram. I want to realise that one day 😇
Go to Sheffield, England! ;) ;)
Formerly iamhankhamTS but now Coastway Will on the internet - The forum just doesn't allow name changes :lol: :lol:
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Nice. I may add a streetcar line to my downtown area. Just need to figure out what kind of shape the route will form.
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

Shape it like the E of Editor.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Michiel wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 17:24 Shape it like the E of Editor.
:twisted: Yes! Alright. The storage facility will be at the end of the center spur.
MetroRotterdam

Post by MetroRotterdam »

Hey Guys,
I'm new in this forum and i just wanted to ask what's going on with the Map Editor? I heard that many people want it but it isn't released yet. But some of you are already posting things about their maps. Because i want to build a small Metro Network too and if someone could tell me what's going on with the Editor? IF it is already there, i don't know how to get/start it.

Thanks to all the nice people in this forum!
Greetings,
MetroRotterdam