Light Rail (Express Tram) Rapid Transit

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sgt_DeBones

Light Rail (Express Tram) Rapid Transit

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

This topic was created to shift the ongoing tram conversation from the K4500 topic over here to relieve that topic from getting off track. :mrgreen:
Also, let's talk about real light rail transit, the ones with metro features. OH YES, the evolution of streetcar trams!

So to begin, I would like to admire Lausanne's M1. (Any train that collects power only from an OCS/cantenary system and has fast acceleration and deceleration is identified as a light rail here in the U.S.)
31733339538_53c54f65af_b.jpg
31733339538_53c54f65af_b.jpg (213.64 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
ViveleCanada

Re: Light Rail (Express Tram) Rapid Transit

Post by ViveleCanada »

Post Deleted
Last edited by ViveleCanada on 11 Jan 2021, 00:07, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt_DeBones

Re: Light Rail (Express Tram) Rapid Transit

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

That is neat. But I would love to see a metro route in this simulator that involves a segment of streetrunning with traffic signals but still retains its purpose as a metro and operates underground, over roads and cross roads at gated grade crossings.

For the streetrunning segments, I require that traffic and transit signals are used. I know we have a Toronto map on the way but Toronto's transit signals are pretty boring as they are just normal traffic signals dedicated to transit vehicles. The same goes for Calgary, Alberta and San Diego, California. It would be cool to have actual transit signals in the future.
Example: Transit Sig on left with a blankout LED sign in Los Angeles at Flower/Pico. The far right LED is a detour sign for special events at the Staples Center
Example: Transit Sig on left with a blankout LED sign in Los Angeles at Flower/Pico. The far right LED is a detour sign for special events at the Staples Center
7130662617_8b98ae9aea.jpg (62.4 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Back in the demo for Metro Sim, the signal decals were incandescent were as now, they're fixed light textures (I wonder why that was changed). But knowing that the lights were once incandescent textures, then could it be possible to have different types of LED textures? If so, I'd love to see proper transit signals. I'd also love to see a signal in the style of General Electric (GE) Harmon fading LED.
GE Harmon
GE Harmon
1 copy.png (70.19 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
GE Harmon when lit
GE Harmon when lit
2.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
But back on the rails, an LRT route would have some flyovers like one that would arc across a frieght line then maybe parallel a road for some time with some gated grade crossings along the route and maybe a station adjacent to the suburbs.

As a North American, light rail routes usually have stops about a mile apart, maybe more, maybe less... depending on the area of demand. Light rails here are for rapid transit. That is why there are fewer stops on long distant routes, even though most systems here uses the S70, as you Europeans know as the Avanto.

You map editors should take notes from this. :geek:
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!