K4500 Tram

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

SFMUNI

Re: K4500 Tram

Post by SFMUNI »

In San Francisco, our newest and now problematic cars, have the Pantographs over the front boogie. The older ones have them slightly off from the center boogie.
Attachments
New Train
New Train
NewTrain.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Old Train
Old Train
OldTrain.jpg (282.69 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
SFMTA does not know how to run a metro system or light rail or streetcar. 8-)
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

I still have yet to see an S200 whenever I come back over to SF.
Also, you guys are talking about top speeds of 90km/h when our LRVs here in America top speeds are between 100 and 110km/h.
I don't mean to boast but the LA Green Line's top operating speed is 60mph.
WW3 is at our doorstep. Gear up just in case. PROTECT THE METROS!
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

Theoretical top speeds of 90km/h perhaps, but the true max operating speeds while street running (at least in Berlin and the other cities in Europe I know about) are based on the road speed, so in the city max 50km/h and usually only up to 60km/h on their own seperated tracks at which point you feel the lacking suspension of low floor trams and multipart vehicles begin to wiggle extensively so that the ride becomes uncomfortable.

That is specifically a problem of low floor multipart trams which are the favored kind for new orders on true tram systems. High floor Tatra trams are a bit more forgiving at higher speeds and also don't suffer from the wiggle issue as much, same goes when we enter the exclusively high floor "Stadtbahn" (Comparable to Sneltram and Light Rail) territory found in many west german cities such as Cologne, which can reach higher speeds than that and remain comfortable.

Greets, Mika
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

Well of course streetrunning sections of streetcar and light rail routes speed limits are based on the road limits. It's between 20 - 45mph in the US. On the the private RoW, top speeds for most rail routes are 55mph. But LA's Green Line (and soon the Gold Line) and San Jose's Blue Line has a top speed of 60mph because both routes operate in a freeway median. The Metro Green Line near LAX leaves the freeway median to turn southbound on an elevated guideway with the new speed limit set to 45mph due to tight curves.

With that out the way, I'd love to see a San Diego, Sacramento, Salt Lake, Denver, or Minnesota Twin Cities route using the K4500. (Minneapolis and Saint Paul's system actually uses a Flexity Swift model).
DT3-LZB

Post by DT3-LZB »

Just in case you want to release an update on the K4500 someday: Concerning the tech, the trains are very similar to the SG3. (I think they even use certain interior parts such as blinds and covers in both the K4500 and the SG3) Thus the SG3 engine sounds together with their door sounds would fit better than the SG2 sounds. ;)

Also in reality they do not have a door bell. They only have a loud beeping sound that is heard when a door is blocked while being "force-closed" from the cab.

@Sgt_DeBones: The Cologne light rail network (in which the K4500 are used on low-floor lines) actually features routes where trains can go 100 kph / ~60 mph, specifically the lines 16 and 18 that run between Cologne and its neighbor city Bonn. However, for reasons I'm not aware of only the oldest cars in the network (B100S) can reach (and exceed) that speed, all other cars are restricted to 80 kph.
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

DT3-LZB wrote: 03 May 2019, 19:33 @Sgt_DeBones: The Cologne light rail network (in which the K4500 are used on low-floor lines) actually features routes where trains can go 100 kph / ~60 mph, specifically the lines 16 and 18 that run between Cologne and its neighbor city Bonn. However, for reasons I'm not aware of only the oldest cars in the network (B100S) can reach (and exceed) that speed, all other cars are restricted to 80 kph.
I'm guessing you guys have gated crossings? I love me an all scenario route that features streetrunning, cab signalling, elevated, underground, freeway running, etc. (which is basically LACMTA and SCVTA)
DT3-LZB

Post by DT3-LZB »

Yeah we do. The 'real' subway networks of course don't but the light rail networks - tons of them actually.
SFMUNI

Post by SFMUNI »

Both our fleets can go 50 mph max in service, but only on Auto Mode. Their maximum total for both is probably between 55-60mph. MuniMetro is the only LRT/Streetcar system to have no protected grade crossings. The ones we have, we have to stop like a 4 way stop.
SFMTA does not know how to run a metro system or light rail or streetcar. 8-)
Sgt_DeBones

Post by Sgt_DeBones »

SFMUNI wrote: 05 May 2019, 17:41 The ones we have, we have to stop like a 4 way stop.
Indeed. Especially in the hills. My obvious favorite route is between the L and T Third Street lines. Now, I really hope there could be a Minneapolis route a Type 1 LRV variant of this Flexity Swift.
brozma

Post by brozma »

Oh, I forgot to mention one more thing about Skoda 15T

5th: Skoda 15T hasn't Shafenberg coupler, but the regular rod like coupler (same one like on KTM 23 and KTM 31), which is usually hidden below driver's cabin on front and below rear passenger seats on rear.

Fact: Almost every tram in Prague has rod like coupler (retractable in case of Skoda 14T and Skoda 15T, or fixed in case of Tatra T3 and Tatra KT8D5). The only exception is Tatra T6A5, which has Sécheron coupler with +GF+ energy transmitter. This allows energy transfer from front car to rear car through the coupler. This is also the reason, why rear car has it's panto dropped down when they're coupled into pair.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English