Toronto

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Re: Toronto

Post by Sjoerd »

MetroSimGermany wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 16:03 one thing that could be tried to get working trolley poles (another sim did this as well), move the rear coupling point of the PCC into the middle of the vehicle, then make a second "vehicle" (that is a trailer only and has the smallest possible amount of weight). This vehicle contains the trolley pole mesh only. it needs a very short distance between its "bogeys" but the rear coupling point of it must extend out far enough to be where the rear end of the visible PCC is. Now make the two a consist that can not be uncoupled and you should have a trolley pole correctly rotating in curves
I did consider a solution a little bit like that (when I was doing the CLRV); make the simulator think the trolleypole is a bogie, thereby making it turn in curves.
However, this would not really make it follow the overhead wires horizontally, just like the pantographs in Metrosimulator can follow the overhead wires vertically. I did not find that good enough, so I decided to modernize a bit and go for the pantograph directly. Otherwise; it would have been a complete nightmare putting up the overhead wires in routes, which would need to be even more centered above the track in curves then real trolleypole wire systems, in order to keep te contact between the wire and the end of the trolleypole in the simulation.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
brozma

Post by brozma »

Sjoerd wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 06:53 I did consider a solution a little bit like that (when I was doing the CLRV); make the simulator think the trolleypole is a bogie, thereby making it turn in curves.
However, this would not really make it follow the overhead wires horizontally, just like the pantographs in Metrosimulator can follow the overhead wires vertically. I did not find that good enough, so I decided to modernize a bit and go for the pantograph directly. Otherwise; it would have been a complete nightmare putting up the overhead wires in routes, which would need to be even more centered above the track in curves then real trolleypole wire systems, in order to keep te contact between the wire and the end of the trolleypole in the simulation.
I think you made a good choice with that panto for CLRV because of these reasons:

1st: As you may have noticed, the wire on straight tracks isn't straight, but goes zig-zag in order to prevent wire to carve a furrow in a panto's contact slider. If the trolley pole on this will go there, it will go zig-zag with wire, and that can cause a huge disaster, when trolley pole comes off the vehicle's roof due to material fatique of the mechanism, which holds trolley pole on vehicle's roof.

2nd: The trolley pole has a huge disadvantage of slipping off the wire in certain cases, especially when going through the intersection. Just imagine that someone in metrosim will go through the intersection and trolley pole slips off. In metrosim, this could be solved by tightening down the trolley pole (pressing Shift+P) Rearranging it with wire by mouse and releasing it back up (pressing Ctrl+P). In real life, you got a bad time with getting it back on wire

Just watch these poor guys having a bad time getting trolley pole back up on wire.

Unlucky guy #1 (Sorry for poor quality).

Unlucky guy #2 (Go to 1:20 in the video to see that poor guy having a really bad time, because the trolley pole slipped off during turning).

Unlucky guys #3 (Double trouble for trolleybuses. I won't be surprised if some of the trolleybus drivers starts crying from frustration, because sometimes getting trolley pole back on wire is an ant job for trolleybus driver).

Locations of videos:
#1 and #2: Unknown city. Possibly in USA or Canada
#3: Ústí nad Labem, Nothern Bohemia, Czech Republic.
Last edited by brozma on 12 Feb 2019, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

brozma wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 11:13 1st: As you may have noticed, the wire on straight tracks isn't straight, but goes zig-zag in order to prevent wire to carve a furrow in a panto's contact slider. If the trolley pole on this will go there, it will go zig-zag with wire, and that can cause a huge disaster, when trolley pole comes off the vehicle's roof due to material fatique of the mechanism, which holds trolley pole on vehicle's roof.
I don't think you have to worry about material fatique in the base of the trolleypole due to the zig-zag of the overhead wire. At least they do not worry about this in Toronto, where the whole overhead wire system is being re-configured to be used by both pantographs and trolleys, including zig-zag as that is better for the pantographs.
The connection between the roof and the trolley is not a piece of metal that bends left/right; it is connected with a joint that lets it swing freely left/rigt as needed to follow the overhead wire (just as an articulated tram or bus will not break if you take it trough a lot of curves :lol: )
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

brozma wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 23:35
LosAngelesMetro56 wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 15:59 Cough cough
Nailed it! That PCC you found has tied down trolley pole on the rear. So that one actually has it! :mrgreen:
Yeah, but it's not used on a basis.
This is now a dead account.
WillMacI

Post by WillMacI »

The development team needs your help! This route will be free however there are many costs related to developing a route. Find out more in T2P's latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZReDkto_Mk. You can help the dev team by donating here: https://t2pfilms.ca/509streetcar.
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

$2.3k? Well those are some big ambitions :lol:
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

MetroSimGermany wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 07:24 $2.3k? Well those are some big ambitions :lol:
Indeed... Looks like I can expect another few nice objects to complete the route with :D
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Hasn't this company made the Toronto map a bit too commercialized? 🤔
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

Well, atleast this would make the playerbase grow.
This is now a dead account.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »