Rijndam Network Maps

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

DT3-LZB

Rijndam Network Maps

Post by DT3-LZB »

Hey guys,

I've been a fan of the map Rijndam since it first came out (and of the game itself for much longer), thus you can imagine my happiness as I randomly checked the website yesterday just to see the new version available for download. But there is one thing I always kinda disliked: The network maps. They are great in terms of functionality but not in terms of design in my opinion, so I decided to make new ones for every map version (and a bonus one for 1995 since I didn't want such a large gap between 1985 and 2006). Some of you will probably notice a few design similarities to another European rapid transit network - but only probably :D I wanna show them to you since I'm very curious of what you think of them.

Oh and by the way, I don't speak Dutch unfortunately, so I had to use Google Translate for all kinds of texts. I hope it did a good job, if there are language mistakes (or if one would normally put something entirely different) please tell me so I can correct it :)

Here's the rundown from 1985 to 2020:

Image 1985 - with the city loop still under construction (maybe 1986 is a bit too early considering there is no work to see at CS) and no mentioning of an M3, let alone any route number.

Image 1995 - with the Metro network in its full extension until 2006. Probably right after the opening of the M3 to RZKH.

Image 2006 - the RijndamRail Sprinter is a thing, as well as the extension of the M1 and the M4 in their "early stage". Oh and there's also the Airport Shuttle.

Image 2016 - Sprinter service is temporarily suspended, the M1 to Panbos and the M4 have been fully incorporated into the network.

Image 2018 - Sprinter service is restored and extended until Noordvliet, the new Metro to Transferium Rijndijk and Denia is in service.

Image 2020 - new routes cutting through the loop and the all-new tram, which got its own map for better clarity.

Image Tram 2020 - well, there's not much to say about this one.

I hope you guys like my work :) Oh and by the way, you should probably focus more on barrier-free accessible Metro stations in Rijndam. :P

Best regards
DT3-LZB
MP 85

Re: Rijndam Network Maps

Post by MP 85 »

Verry Good Work :D
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

DT3-LZB wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 20:18
Image 2020 - new routes cutting through the loop and the all-new tram, which got its own map for better clarity.
The station dots should be more in the middle of the line instead of at the edge (for non-transfer stations), and perhaps you should include the T2 terminus name (Statenpolder), but other then that; I really like this one! :P
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
DT3-LZB

Post by DT3-LZB »

The dots on the metro lines you mean? Well I could change that, the "problem" is that this comes from the role model (http://www.hvv.de/pdf/plaene/hvv_linien ... n_usar.pdf). I didn't really think about that when I was, basically, copying it ^^ Glad you like it tho :)
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Nice concept and design
DT3-LZB

Post by DT3-LZB »

Thanks :) I also like your map that I just noticed right now. Good improvement of the original design.
luka23

Post by luka23 »

Looks good, great job! Fonts, colors and general aesthetic represent the decades very well!
I'd like to see a '95 version come out. Sjoerd, were you already planning that?
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

luka23 wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 08:52 I'd like to see a '95 version come out. Sjoerd, were you already planning that?
Rijndam 1995? No, no plans there. I think I might continue on Glasgow first.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

DT3-LZB wrote: 03 Oct 2017, 22:02 Thanks :) I also like your map that I just noticed right now. Good improvement of the original design.
Thank you

And a revamped version for the T2 extension to Ketelplein:

As you can see, I have also changed the color of the T2 tram line to red-orange, so someone can tell which line is which, without looking at the terminal stops.

Full-size image (1920x1080) here → http://sim.bemined.nl/wiki/File:Rijndam ... tomMap.png
rik079

Post by rik079 »

Nice maps, but there are a few typo's: first map says 'vermoedelik', must be 'vermoedelijk'. 2016 map warning contains 'vervoerswenk', wich is very very literally translated, I would say 'opmerking' (notice). 2020 tram map has frij, must be 'vrij'

nevermind, the maps itself are awesome!