Beta 3.12

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

senjer

Re: Beta 3.12

Post by senjer »

How do I know that better :lol: , everyone in Rotterdam could know.

In Rotterdam there is only one driver. The control teams (BOA (Buitengewoon Opsporingsambtenaar)) are all over the place. They walk around all busses, trams and metro's operated by the RET and Connexxion in the region. So they could be on board but most of the time it's only for a couple of stations.
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

Thanks senjer. :)

So it's like in Lisbon, I only see the driver everytime I use the system.
Greetings from Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal.
RotterdamMetroLover

Post by RotterdamMetroLover »

senjer wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 18:59 How do I know that better :lol: , everyone in Rotterdam could know.

In Rotterdam there is only one driver. The control teams (BOA (Buitengewoon Opsporingsambtenaar)) are all over the place. They walk around all busses, trams and metro's operated by the RET and Connexxion in the region. So they could be on board but most of the time it's only for a couple of stations.
I meant you can explain better, so. There's always someone better than me, you know.
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 »

Sometimes we would have 2 drivers for fast turn-arounds.
This is now a dead account.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

LosAngelesMetro56 wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 21:00 Sometimes we would have 2 drivers for fast turn-arounds.
I have seen that in Japan when I was there in 2006; a driver on both ends of the train. The one on the non-driving end does all the announcements, and at the end station, he becomes the driver for the return trip (they switch functions);

https://s26.postimg.org/f43qk4495/DSC02207.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/5ku1qngqx/DSC02213.jpg

During rush hour in Tokyo, these trains are getting so close together, you can see the train in front of you driving in the distance. Luckily, these drivers are world champions in driving to the exact second in the timetable!
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

On our Intercity trains (except Beira Baixa and Alentejo lines, to Beja) the ticket checker does all the annnouncmeents. Well, sometimes they fail... :roll:
MetroSimGermany

Post by MetroSimGermany »

in normal German trains the person who checks the tickets, aka the conductor "Zugbegleiter" does the announcements. They don't drive
sometimes there are trains without a conductor on low traffic lines, then the driver takes over the task of checking the doors. If no automatic announcements are available then the driver might manually do them.

On the Berlin U-Bahn the driver does everything alone, announcements are completely automatic
On the S-Bahn there are only automatic announcements in the older train which have neither mirrors or a door for the driver to leave the cockpit. On newer trains, drivers use the mirrors or the door to check the doors, they also manually make the train destination and door warn announcements

theres rare occasions of a driver on both ends, which is if there is a train going back and forth on a short section because of track works
then a short turning time is needed so two drivers are on the train

Greets, Mika
Support auf Deutsch? Kein Problem! Ich helfe gerne per PM. ;)
brozma

Post by brozma »

In normal Czech train there's no annoucer at all and passengers have to pay attention where they are. But on every station there's a big blue sign with white text, which tells the name of the station.
This also applies for older suburban electric units, like electric unit 451 series (also nicknamed as "Pantograph" or "Frogmouth") and for older diesel units like diesel unit 810 series (which uses diesel engine from LIAZ truck and also nicknamed as "Rail bus").
The newer suburban units, like electric unit 471 series (also nicknamed as "City elephant") and newer diesel units, like diesel unit 814 series (also nicknamed "Regionova") has built-in automatic annoucer with naturally sounding female voice. The voice is not sythetized (like in text-to-speech programs), but that's a voice of a real person recorded into onboard computer and driver just plays them when train is approaching station

In Prague metro only driver is present in train all the time. Ticket inspectors sometimes can be found in trains, but they can leave the train when they want. This also applies for trams. In some trams like Tatra T3 or Tatra T6A5 the driver's cabin is so small, that only one driver can fit here.
The annoucer in metro trains and trams is same like from newer suburban rail units by mechanics. The only difference is voice used in them. Trams and metro lines A and B use female voice, but they are different. Only metro line C uses male voice. I can ironically say, that Prague transport company is being feministic (No offence ok?)

The reason why real recorded voice is used in annoucers is, that real recorded voice sounds more natural and more telligible. Yeah you can't change it freely, but synthetized voice sometimes sounds unnaturally and weird (many of you maybe heard about Microsoft Sam's famous mispronouciation of word "soy". If you make Sam say "soy", he says "swah" which resembles spinning helicopter rotor blade)
If you want to make a very fast ride, just disable ATB/ZUB, put trottle to 1.00 and enjoy.
In my Avatar is a Logo of a Prague metro.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and i am learning English
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Actually, the automated announcements are played automatically. There is no action needed from the driver.
There are some detectors on the tracks and when the train passes over them, the next announcement is played.
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

The Line M1 morning activity (for Rijndam 2020) starts with the doors opened on the wrong side. And I think the waiting times at DRIM panels are wrong...
Attachments
Noorderpoort_1.jpg
Noorderpoort_1.jpg (205.7 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
Noordeproort_3.jpg
Noordeproort_3.jpg (217.19 KiB) Viewed 7246 times