Some questions about the future 3.12 version

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Alfacinha315

Some questions about the future 3.12 version

Post by Alfacinha315 »

Hi there! I was just reading the new features on beta 3.12, on the Wiki, and I got two questions for Michiel and Sjoerd, the main developers of the game:

1) Did you ended the support to 32-bit versions? I mean, it does not affect me, I only wonder if the future versions of the game will be only in 64-bits, that's what I am considering strange, as well as until beta 3.9 we had both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, unless the currently system operatives have only support to 64-bit.

2) I also read that Simvliet 1982 will be back in the new version. But it will have day and night cycle, as well as boardnames on the stations? Or it just be equal like in the beta 3.11, without these two features?

Many thanks for now, and keep the good working on! ;)

Cheers.

PS: sorry for my bad English, if you consider it... :oops:
Greetings from Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal.
Sjoerd

Re: Some questions about the future 3.12 version

Post by Sjoerd »

I do not develop the game; only Michiel can do that. I am just a content creator. ;)

About your first question; Michiel posted his reasons for this some time ago;
Michiel wrote: 31 Dec 2016, 09:01 It's the same reason why I did not bother with a 32 bit version: computers that are still only 32 bit probably won't be able to get any decent framerate when driving in the darkness. You don't need a monster PC to run the simulation, a 5 year old gaming PC will probably still do fine.
Michiel wrote: 02 Jan 2017, 19:56 Routes are indeed becoming bigger and bigger. Nighttime is mostly a graphical thing that requires a faster videocard, and technically disabling it would bypass that. However the number of objects (specially the ones that move) is limited by the CPU, since unlike in games where all traffic 2 blocks away from you disappears, here the entire city is always simulated, otherwise delays would magically disappear and the CVL would be inaccurate. Bigger city means more trains which means more work for the CPU. Going 64 bit improved the performance of the CPU side. While technically I could make a 32 bit version, it would most likely run even slower, and as mentioned before computers that old most likely also don't have the graphical power to handle the dynamic lighting.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

Sjoerd wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 12:34 I do not develop the game; only Michiel can do that. I am just a content creator. ;)

About your first question; Michiel posted his reasons for this some time ago;
Michiel wrote: 31 Dec 2016, 09:01 It's the same reason why I did not bother with a 32 bit version: computers that are still only 32 bit probably won't be able to get any decent framerate when driving in the darkness. You don't need a monster PC to run the simulation, a 5 year old gaming PC will probably still do fine.
Michiel wrote: 02 Jan 2017, 19:56 Routes are indeed becoming bigger and bigger. Nighttime is mostly a graphical thing that requires a faster videocard, and technically disabling it would bypass that. However the number of objects (specially the ones that move) is limited by the CPU, since unlike in games where all traffic 2 blocks away from you disappears, here the entire city is always simulated, otherwise delays would magically disappear and the CVL would be inaccurate. Bigger city means more trains which means more work for the CPU. Going 64 bit improved the performance of the CPU side. While technically I could make a 32 bit version, it would most likely run even slower, and as mentioned before computers that old most likely also don't have the graphical power to handle the dynamic lighting.
Thank you Sjoerd. ;) So it's like the difference between old and new apps, with new features it does not have capacity on the old phones. For example, phones running Android 2.3 Gingerbread only can run Facebook Lite, not the normal app.

BTW, I'm sorry for the mistake about the game developers...
senjer

Post by senjer »

It's like it. For running games you need a couple of things, a good CPU, a good GPU and enough RAM.

A 32-bit system without PAE (Physical Address Extension) has a maximum address range of 4GB of physical memory. With an integrated graphics card, some of the RAM is used by the GPU. With an external graphics card, some of the address space is used for hardware mappings into the VRAM, but it is not as large as the amount of memory on the card. Typically, a discrete GPU needs about 256MB of mapped space regardless of how much memory is on the card. Other hardware mappings typically need around 256MB in total. Typically a 4GB machine with a 32-bit OS without PAE and a discrete graphics card will have 3.2GB to 3.5GB of usable RAM.

Beside that almost all new CPU and GPU's are running with support for 64-bit. And if you have more then 4GB RAM you also need 64-bit to use it as I've said above.
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

senjer wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 13:00 It's like it. For running games you need a couple of things, a good CPU, a good GPU and enough RAM.

A 32-bit system without PAE (Physical Address Extension) has a maximum address range of 4GB of physical memory. With an integrated graphics card, some of the RAM is used by the GPU. With an external graphics card, some of the address space is used for hardware mappings into the VRAM, but it is not as large as the amount of memory on the card. Typically, a discrete GPU needs about 256MB of mapped space regardless of how much memory is on the card. Other hardware mappings typically need around 256MB in total. Typically a 4GB machine with a 32-bit OS without PAE and a discrete graphics card will have 3.2GB to 3.5GB of usable RAM.

Beside that almost all new CPU and GPU's are running with support for 64-bit. And if you have more then 4GB RAM you also need 64-bit to use it as I've said above.
I see. In beta 3.9 we only have Simvliet, but since beta 3.10 we have also Rijndam.

So, who only haves a 32-bit PC hurry up to download beta 3.9, because the download will be outdated with the release of beta 3.12.

Luckily I will be able to play the new 3.12 beta, I am waiting... ;)
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

Alfacinha315 wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 12:24 I also read that Simvliet 1982 will be back in the new version. But it will have day and night cycle, as well as boardnames on the stations? Or it just be equal like in the beta 3.11, without these two features?
Simvliet 1982, will probably be in Beta 3.12. And it's not going to have these 2 features. That's because Michiel is planning to release some time in the future Simvliet 1985, which will have day/night cycle and all the other stuff. When Simvliet 1985 is released, Simvliet 1982 will be removed.
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

Hi there! I know I shouldn't ask for this question, but I wanted to know if you have already a estimated day to beta 3.12 release. According to Sjoerd's video about Rijndam 2020, it will be soon, right?
Many thanks.

Best regards,

Alfacinha315
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Alfacinha315 wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 17:35 Hi there! I know I shouldn't ask for this question, but I wanted to know if you have already a estimated day to beta 3.12 release. According to Sjoerd's video about Rijndam 2020, it will be soon, right?
Let's leave that one for Michiel to disclose.... ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Alfacinha315

Post by Alfacinha315 »

Oh yeah... Thanks Sjoerd. ;) Maybe after the summer, I think.