Glasgow

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Re: Glasgow

Post by Sjoerd »

Metrosimfan677 wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 20:19 Do I copy the whole folder or everything separately? Or only the glasgow subway SPT part? http://prntscr.com/na8y0b
-> Copy "GlasgowSPT.000" to the folder where the simulator's exe-file is located.
-> Copy the folder "Data", with all it's contents, to the folder where the simulator's exe-file is located. There is already a folder "Data" there, so the computer will ask you if you want to merge the folders. Say.... no sorry; 'Click' on... "yes" or "OK" if questions like that come up.
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Metrosimfan677

Post by Metrosimfan677 »

Sjoerd wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 20:34
Metrosimfan677 wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 20:19 Do I copy the whole folder or everything separately? Or only the glasgow subway SPT part? http://prntscr.com/na8y0b
-> Copy "GlasgowSPT.000" to the folder where the simulator's exe-file is located.
-> Copy the folder "Data", with all it's contents, to the folder where the simulator's exe-file is located. There is already a folder "Data" there, so the computer will ask you if you want to merge the folders. Say.... no sorry; 'Click' on... "yes" or "OK" if questions like that come up.
Thanks, that worked great.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Glad to hear it! :D
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Sgt_DeBones wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 00:23
Sjoerd wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 21:59 Next... 8-)
Nicolas wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 22:04 New Tube for London? Or new Glasgow train?
Glasgow
Well.... It's been guessed. That head/tail light configuration is just far too easy...... :D Any screenshot from any angle would have given it away, so I just did a far-away screenshot in a Glasgow tunnel with all the lights turned off. Not good enough.... :lol:

Okay, here it is; the new Glasgow metro. Another sketchup masterpiece by Supertrain_fan (except for the bogies and couplers, I added those later), which I am working on to get it into the simulator.

As Glasgow subway trains seem to lack a type-name (even in Stadler communication I haven't found a name for them), I'll just name it "SPT 3rd generation", as it is the 3rd series of rolling stock since the line opened in 1896 (I'd say those Scottish people really use their trains a long time; this is only the second time in 124 years that they replace their rolling stock! Guess they know quality when they see it, and don't just replace everything every 30 years "because it's old". I like it! :mrgreen: ).

These trains will feature something new for the simulator; automatic passenger information screens showing the next station the train will stop at, which will also work in explore mode. :D
This feature will however only function on the Glasgow map, as I had to do quite a bit of work in both the train's scripting and the CVL system to make this function. And then also in the older train generation (who do not have these screens btw), as they would otherwise loose the ability to interpret the new ATB signals coming from the CVL. But for only 15 stations and two train types (other rolling stock in the simulator won't fit the line anyway), it's do-able. ;)

As this function also required a modification in the CVL and the older trains (and that's all one package), this also means the Glasgow addon will be updated. Let's call that V3.

Yesterday, I discovered the SPT has build an entire testfacility for the new trains on the surface, connected to Broomloan Depot, just south of Edmiston Drive. It's not present on Google Maps (those pictures get rarely updated), but it's there on Google Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/AYeAvKqdrTcmPaZM6.

Luckily, the SPT has posted a short video of it on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-zVfdqfxPI
I am missing one thing here, and my question for all of you is..... What's the answer here?
The problem; the test-track bordering the embankment; I see no switch connection at the side of the testing facility, and the connection of the track on the end near Broomloan depot has been severed (at time = 1:30). And during the whole video (and also using Streetview, looking over the older side of the viaduct), I haven't seen a switch in between. Then how do they get the train on that test track? Use a couple of cranes? That seems quite a hassle, and potentially damaging to the trains. A switch hidden under the viaduct (even though the video at T= 0:50 suggests that isn't the case)?
As you might guess.... I want to add these tracks to the Glasgow network. ;)
Any ideas? :)
Last edited by Sjoerd on 04 Jul 2020, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
perfecttrains1000

Post by perfecttrains1000 »

At 1:02, it seems the walls at 0:50 are gone so maybe the switch is actually there, it might just be the lighting tho.
- Likes London Underground
- Somehow relates anything to trains
MSB4THOMAS

Post by MSB4THOMAS »

I think they drove the train all around the normal track to get it on a different track where they could use the switches
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

What route do you mean?
AlistairCowell

Post by AlistairCowell »

Sjoerd wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 09:56 As Glasgow subway trains seem to lack a type-name (even in Stadler communication I haven't found a name for them), I'll just name it "SPT 3rd generation", as it is the 3rd series of rolling stock since the line opened in 1896 (I'd say those Scottish people really use their trains a long time; this is only the second time in 124 years that they replace their rolling stock! Guess they know quality when they see it, and don't just replace everything every 30 years "because it's old". I like it! :mrgreen: ).
Glasgow Subway's first generation rolling stock lasted 80 years! You should learn about the pre-1977 Glasgow Subway, I think there are few eras over the span of 80 years.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Yes, I know the first generation rolling stock began as cable-trains, like the San Fransisco cablecars (connecting/disconnecting from a continues moving cable), and later build in electric motors to make them 'normal' electric trains.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I like all of this. Glasgow is the reason why I started playing Metro Sim, so seeing new rolling stock and a update to the route itself definiely makes my day.

I would still like to see the pre-1977 Glasgow subway in a sim some day. I know it wouldn't fit this particular sim, but a man can dream.