Glasgow

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

Sjoerd

Glasgow

Post by Sjoerd »

Now that a number of you have discovered the route on the Wiki pages; next to Rijndam 2006 and 2020, I have also started working on the Glasgow Underground for Metrosimulator. This will probably not make it in beta 3.12, but the build is going well.

Read all about it here: http://sim.bemined.nl/wiki/Glasgow

(btw; does any of you know a way to convert a Sketchup *.skp file into an *.ms3d or *.x file?)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
Jim2016

Re: Glasgow

Post by Jim2016 »

Try exporting the sketchup file in .dae format and then try this site to convert it to .x

http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/index.php
nstomjanssen2000

Post by nstomjanssen2000 »

I wouldn't use Sketchup at all if I were you, it was not made as game modeling software. I recommend you to use 3ds Max or Blender. (there are propably extensions for exporting to DirectX-format)
Met hoogachtende groet, prof. dr. in. mr. Duymsuych, gepromoveerd in de Slag om de Coeck. Hierin sneuvelden 66 chocoladekoekjes, 72 speculaasjes, 101 stroopwafels, 145 ... [Dit relaas is onderbroken wegens het gebrek aan nut ervan.]
Jim2016

Post by Jim2016 »

nstomjanssen2000 wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 09:44 I wouldn't use Sketchup at all if I were you, it was not made as game modeling software. I recommend you to use 3ds Max or Blender. (there are propably extensions for exporting to DirectX-format)
Maybe, you can make models which are compatible with the simulator, with Sketchup only.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

nstomjanssen2000 wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 09:44 I wouldn't use Sketchup at all if I were you, it was not made as game modeling software. I recommend you to use 3ds Max or Blender. (there are propably extensions for exporting to DirectX-format)
I am using Milkshape 3D. It can export to *.x format, but Sketchup is not only easier to use, it also has a huge database of free downloadable objects, which can be used in itself, or serve as a basis to create new ones: 3dwarehouse.sketchup.com. ;)
But only if I can find a way to import them into Milkshape 3D (for which I need *.ms3d or *.x), for some final modifications, in order to export it towards Metrosimulator.
Jim2016 wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 08:23 Try exporting the sketchup file in .dae format and then try this site to convert it to .x
http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/index.php
I am trying it on a simple model from 3dwarehouse.sketchup.com. The site has been working on it for the last 10min. Let's see if it works... :)
Jim2016 wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 10:28 Maybe, you can make models which are compatible with the simulator, with Sketchup only.
Sketchup only exports *.skp, *dae and *.kmz. Perhaps Sketchup Pro can do more, but that is incredibly expensive.
VirtualGamer

Post by VirtualGamer »

Dat song do....
MattH

Post by MattH »

First real-life metro! funnily not Rotterdam...

I assume this take place after the 1977 system-wide refurbishment?
Rotterdam metro hasn't had as much station closures and name changes (iirc Beurs-Churchhillplein to just Beurs, and Hofplein closing) although it seems more to be simplifications of station names (Govan Cross to Govan, Partick Cross moves, maybe the new Partick station was closer?)
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

MattH wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 23:54 I assume this take place after the 1977 system-wide refurbishment?
Rotterdam metro hasn't had as much station closures and name changes (iirc Beurs-Churchhillplein to just Beurs, and Hofplein closing) although it seems more to be simplifications of station names (Govan Cross to Govan, Partick Cross moves, maybe the new Partick station was closer?)
Yes, it will be based on the current status of the network. The original stations also look nice, but I like the modern look better, and there are a lot more photo's available to help with the recreation.
And the post-modernization situation has another plus; until 1977 there was no rail connection (and no switches at all) between the depot and the running line; trains had to put on the line by crane:
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/images/TGSE00118_m.jpg
That part can not be recreated in Metrosimulator, at least not functionally. After the modernization, the depot was rebuild, including the introduction of connecting tracks, so trains can enter and leave the system under there own power.

Partick Cross has never moved. It is still located where it has always been. It has just been renamed, and is now called Kelvinhall. The old Merkland Street station is the one that has been closed, and replaced by a new nearby station Partick.
At the same time, the old Partick train station on the surface was also moved to its current location. This way, an interchange station between the underground subway system and the surface railway could be realised.

Both on the Subway and on the railway, the former stations can still be recognised; on the subway, the trains pass the old Merkland Street platform area just before (or after, depending on direction of travel) stopping at Partick. On the railway, the old platforms are still present on the north side of the Dumbarton Road bridge.
JeffT

Post by JeffT »

Sjoerd you should make Saltsjöbanan a railway line in Stockholm. The trains that run on that line are all converted from metro trains. In the 70s there were plans on getting old EMU trains from denmark.
Currently running Metro Simulator Beta on NVIDIA GeForce GT1030 2GB grafic card.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

JeffT wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 08:01 Sjoerd you should make Saltsjöbanan a railway line in Stockholm. The trains that run on that line are all converted from metro trains. In the 70s there were plans on getting old EMU trains from denmark.
At the moment the plans are to finish Rijndam 2006 and 2020 in time for beta 3.12, and to continue work on Glasgow. At least until 3.12 is released with the new Rijndam networks in it, I don't think I will be making after-Glasgow plans. ;)