Afroeptool Add-ons

General discussions

Moderator: senjer

iamhankhamTS

Re: Afroeptool Add-ons

Post by iamhankhamTS »

VirtualGamer wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 00:16 8-)
If you want an English Male voice for two way announcements, feel free to message! :) :lol:

Edit: So someone else who understands Dutch does Dutch announcements and I do the English translation afterwards
Formerly iamhankhamTS but now Coastway Will on the internet - The forum just doesn't allow name changes :lol: :lol:
Piccadilly

Post by Piccadilly »

VirtualGamer wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 00:16 8-)
Very nice!
VirtualGamer

Post by VirtualGamer »

Because I don't speak Dutch, I must ask if these translations are correct or are poorly worded:
  • Welcome aboard this ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶i̶c̶e̶ Simvliet Railway train to {destination}. = Welkom aan boord van deze ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶i̶c̶e̶ Simvliet Spoorweg trein aan {bestemming}.
  • We will be calling at {list of stations}. = We ̶b̶e̶l̶l̶e̶n̶ stoppen naar {lijst met stations}.
  • The next station is {next station}. = Het volgende station is {volgend station}.
  • We are now approaching {station}. = We naderen nu {station}.
  • Please mind the gap when leaving the train and step onto the platform before removing heavy luggage and pushchairs. = Let op de opening bij het verlaten van de trein en stap op het platform voordat u zware bagage en wandelwagens verwijdert.
  • We are now approaching {station}, our final destination, where this train terminates. = We naderen nu {station}, onze eindbestemming, waar deze trein eindigt.
  • This is {station}. = Dit is {station}.
I'll start making the recordings once the translations have been verified. :)
Last edited by VirtualGamer on 31 Jul 2019, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

VirtualGamer wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 12:52
  • We will be calling at {list of stations}. = We bellen naar {lijst met stations}.
:lol: "We bellen naar {lijst met stations}." :lol:

Yes, "calling" could literally be translated as "bellen".... But only when you are talking about using a telephone :lol:

So it would be better to say "We stoppen op {lijst met stations}." (We will be stopping at {list of stations}.)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
VirtualGamer

Post by VirtualGamer »

Sjoerd wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 17:30
  • We will be calling at {list of stations}. = We bellen naar {lijst met stations}.
:lol: "We bellen naar {lijst met stations}." :lol:

Yes, "calling" could literally be translated as "bellen".... But only when you are talking about using a telephone :lol:

So it would be better to say "We stoppen op {lijst met stations}." (We will be stopping at {list of stations}.)
Hence why I asked if they are correct; thanks!
Are the other translations okay?
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

• Let op de opening bij het verlaten van de trein en stap op het platform voordat u zware bagage en wandelwagens verwijdert.
This I have never heard before; I don't think this is ever announced in the Netherlands.
It is also not needed, as all new trains have ways to close the gaps before the doors open;

https://www.biind.nl/system/files/files ... %20SNG.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkKKZwYXgAABw9Z.jpg

Sure, there are still a lot of trains that do not have this feature, but even then, not much reason for a "mind the gap" announcement.

https://www.melvinbakker.nl/wp-content/ ... perron.jpg

And I also (personally) never heard advise on how to take heavy things off the train. And only very few people take heavy things with them anyway.
Well, okay; you can always have a few nutcases who still try (only to have a conductor kick them out again): https://youtu.be/lgvUeY0N9eY?t=505 :lol:
[*]We are now approaching {station}, our final destination, where this train terminates. = We naderen nu {station}, onze eindbestemming, waar deze trein eindigt.[/list]
It is more common to say "Het volgende station is {station}. {station} is de eindbestemming van deze trein, u wordt verzocht uit te stappen. Denk bij het uitstappen aan uw bagage / persoonlijke eigendommen." -> "The next station is {station}. {station} is the final destination of this train; you are requested to leave the train. When you do, remember to take your bagage / personal belongings with you" ;)
CEO of the Rijndam Electrical Transport company :D
senjer

Post by senjer »

On the Intercity Direct they will announce the "Don't forget to take your personal belongings with your" or something similar most of the time on Schiphol Airport. I've only heard the "mind the gap" warning a couple of times. Most of them when they were rebuilding the station of Breda.

At the final stations they wish you a nice day most of the time as well.
Welcome aboard this service to {destination}. = Welkom aan boord van deze service aan {bestemming}.
The word service is not used that often in this way. Most of the times they say. "Welkom aan boord van deze intercity naar (Destination) onderweg zullen wij voor u stoppen op (Next stop followed by the bigger stations on the route.)" > "Welcome on board of this Intercity train to (destination), we will stop at (Next stop followed by the bigger stations on the route.)"
VirtualGamer

Post by VirtualGamer »

Thanks for the tips, but I'll keep most translations as is; it is what they announce on London Northwestern Railway trains after all, I'm trying to keep them as close to original as possible. I will change "Welcome aboard this service to {destination}" to "Welcome aboard this Simvliet Railway train to {destination}."

Anyway, onto recording! I'll be using a text to speech voice for the main announcements, but if you are willing to, you can PM a wav or mp3 file of you saying: "This train is ready to depart, please stand clear of the doors." or the equivalent phrase in Dutch. I will make sure to give full credit of your recording(s) upon release.
senjer

Post by senjer »

you can PM a wav or mp3 file of you saying: "This train is ready to depart, please stand clear of the doors." or the equivalent phrase in Dutch.
Keep in mind that this can be quite challenging to do it good. Audio editing like this is knowing how you pronounce words in multiple sentences. In real life they record a lot of different sentences and then cut them up into new ones that sound like they have spoken that exact sentence.
VirtualGamer

Post by VirtualGamer »

senjer wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 18:55
you can PM a wav or mp3 file of you saying: "This train is ready to depart, please stand clear of the doors." or the equivalent phrase in Dutch.
Keep in mind that this can be quite challenging to do it good. Audio editing like this is knowing how you pronounce words in multiple sentences. In real life they record a lot of different sentences and then cut them up into new ones that sound like they have spoken that exact sentence.
I mean it as if it's the driver of the train telling people to do so. It's quite common practice on the London Underground.