Beta 3.8

Post bug reports here. Please only post bug reports here, no questions or general discussions.

Moderator: senjer

JanH

Beta 3.8

Post by JanH »

Thanks for your work on the sim, very nice so far.

Problems I've come across so far:
  • in 1982 and 2013, neither I nor the AI dispatcher can set routes into and out of track 220 at Oostpark.
  • in the 2013 all day event timetable, train 512 is misdescribed as 5122 despite actually consisting of 3 cars
  • likewise, in the 2013 event timetable, the early morning shuttle trains on line A between Stadionweg and Springstraat are too long for the bay platform at Stadionweg and probably ought to reverse on track 402 (platform 4) instead
atimur

Re: Beta 3.8

Post by atimur »

I also noticed that after placing the controller to 8.00 or 2.00 (emergency) on some trains (especially (R)SG3) track joint sound starts to repeat constantly. This bug is very old, it was first spotted on Beta 3.5.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

atimur wrote:I also noticed that after placing the controller to 8.00 or 2.00 (emergency) on some trains (especially (R)SG3) track joint sound starts to repeat constantly. This bug is very old, it was first spotted on Beta 3.5.
That's not a bug, real versions of these trains have that too.
I'm not here.
atimur

Post by atimur »

Really? Thanks, it's interesting why it happens on real trains
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

The emergency brakes are in fact track brakes, consisting of some very powerful electromagnets that are released onto the track, which do slow down the train very fast also on slippery rail, but can result in flat wheels. This sounds similar to track joints, as both sounds are the result of uneven spots on either the rail or the wheel.
atimur

Post by atimur »

Understood, thanks, but after the emergency brake released the sound of electromagnetic shoe still can be heard. Is this the effect of flat wheel?
JanH

Post by JanH »

Hmm, I have a feeling some things are getting confused here. The track brakes won't cause any wheel flats, as they don't interact with the wheels.

Of course the mechanical brakes are probably braking heavier than usual as well, so they could be responsible for wheel flats, but I wonder - do the real trains really develop wheel flats 100 % of the time after using the emergency brake? Normally, wheel slide protection should prevent this most of the time - but then I don't know how effective the system used in Rotterdam is, or whether it gets used at all during emergency braking.
senjer

Post by senjer »

Track brakes can cause flat wheels, the wheels are trying to rotate but the force to stop is higher so the force want the wheels to rotate the other way. The wheel will block and you get flat wheels. It almost the same as your car when the wheels block. A ABS system can help you with your car to prevent it. The newer metro stock also has a ABS system installed. (not simulated). Without the ABS as in the simulator the chance of flat wheels are high but it won't happen 100% of the time in real life.
Michiel
Site Admin

Post by Michiel »

ABS systems will alter the brake force when they detect a wheel lock. Track brakes aren't that controllable however, so I'm not sure if ABS is fully able to prevent. Also ABS is mainly intended to avoid uncontrolled skidding, resulting in the vehicle not being able to slow down anymore. Track brakes however have affect even sliding, as they apply the braking force directly on he rail rather then the wheels, so there is no need to prevent a lock in order for track brakes to have effect. In real life, the flat wheels may not happen as quickly as in the simulator, although I did hear it once after just a single emergency stop, it could have been that the rail was extremely slippery that day, causing the wheels to lock a lot easier during the emergency stop.
Guille3604

Post by Guille3604 »

Sorry for the offtopic, Michiel, could you please check your PMs please? :lol: